Trying to get Vegan but doing at the same Time Combat Sport.Can it realistcly really work?

mksjdb

how does it work exactly is there anything i need to t ake care off?

I heard that something with B ( i forgot the name of it tbh but it was some vitamin important for the body) only exist in meat and that vegans are suppose to take pills for it but i am strictly against pills and stuff like that.Can a vegan lifestyle really fill all the holes a combat sport guy need? I googled food with most protein ( i sadly cant translate the word iw ant in english sorry i hope you know what i mean) and its mostly in meat sadly and there are vegan alternatives but its ALOT less than in meat.

And maybe a bonus question because i am curious myself do you know any famous sport athlethes wich are vegan? because i dont even know 1 :O

@mksjdb B12. You can buy foods fortified with it if you're committed to not suplimenting directly.

I'm sure there's heaps but Lewis Hamilton off the top of my head.

@mksjdb I hate to break it to you but you are most likely getting B12 in some form of supplementation in today's modern world. B12 comes from a bacteria but due to modern sanitation that bacteria is wiped out in most of our food production. I'm not saying we shouldn't sanitize. They explain it more in Game Changers.

The majority of B12 supplements are given to livestock. So even if you get your B12 from animal products, you are most likely getting it from a supplement indirectly. So you can skip the middle man and just take the supplement yourself.

@mksjdb Just to add to the commenter who recommended watching game changers.

It's a documentary made by an mma guy who went vegan. They follow a bunch of professional athletes and answer all of the questions that you have.

It was made to address your exact concerns. It's on netflix

@erique thanks very much thats exactly what i am thinking about.i am scared too have Alot LESS POWER ( i mean i am weak anyway lol i am still new lol) when i go vegan tho.its kinda hard too find alternatives for protein and the important stuff wich is only in animal food

@mksjdb I recently went vegan myself, and I used to have the same concerns as you do. I can only say from anecdotal experience that you get everything you need from plants.

I was supplementing protein before and continue to do so now, but I switched from whey to plant based protein. I can also add that I don't use one plant protein powder, but mix sources throughout the day- probably leading to more complete diet anyway.

I'll also add that I was getting back into heavy weightlifting after many years away, and I've seen the same progress as I did in the past. Honestly, I've also had less bloating and fat gain, likely from avoiding so much milk protein

@mksjdb As others have said, sports (including combat sports) shouldn't be a problem.

As for B12 you can either eat fortified food or take a supplement (if it's the pill itself you can also get that as lozenge or injections).

If you are against any kind of added substance in your food (even if it's a naturally occurring, vital substance), then I don't see a realistic option to become fully vegan. However a lot of food is fortified already, possibly without you noticing (e.g. in the US flour is fortified with vitamins, calcium and iron, dairy with vitamin d, water with fluor in some areas etc.), so I don't see much of a difference to eating vegan foods fortified with B12 and calcium for example.

@abenson709 wow crazy! i do muay thai too! (really fucking shit at it tho XD) but thats exactly what i was wondering about.what are you eating mainly or are you doing something different everyday? i kinda try to focus on rice all the time

@mksjdb I template out my breakfast and lunches based on my goals - I’m trying to lose fat right now so they look like this:

Breakfast - bowl of special K vanilla almond with a protein shake as the milk

Lunch - cliff builder bar, banana, soy yogurt

Dinner - whatever I feel like in a reasonable portion - but high protein with tofu or seitan as the protein source.

If I’m trying to gain weight I throw in a few more protein bars, add raw peanut butter to my cereal, and up my portion size/ change out the yogurt for a sandwich.

I like this approach because I just calculated the macros for both lunch and dinner templates when I made them and know as long as I get a high protein dinner I’m hitting my targets/ I don’t really ever think about macros anymore

@mksjdb B12 is not a vegan-specific issue. Everyone should supplement. The reason is because our farming practices have depleted the soil of B12 so now they have to supplement the animals with it, and vegans need to supplement as well now.

Also, protein is very easy to get enough of. Many people in the U.S. actually get too much and this can be bad for you. People focus too much on protein and not on fiber, when colon cancer is one of the most common cancers in the U.S.

If you do want good protein sources as a vegan, you can have tofu, beans, lentils, peanuts, etc. much healthier for you than meat.

But yeah I’d recommend watching the game changers, Patrik Baboumian is a vegan strongman for example.

Back