U.K. ideas for high protein food?

joeytheflash

Aside from lentils, chickpeas, tofu etc. which you can only eat so much of ... does anybody have any recommendations for high protein products/meals/brands?

I bought MyProtein vegan protein powder which gives me a little 10g boost at the gym but I am just trying to boost my protein a little more.

Thank you so much in advance and i hope this is the right place to post this!

@joeytheflash I make my own seitan, which is 75% protein by calories (much higher than many types of animal-based meat!) Also look for high-protein pasta, made from chickpeas, red lentils, edamame, etc. Usually one serving contains 24 grams of protein. Nutritional yeast, tofu and tempeh of course, vegan jerky, Simply Protein brand protein bars (low sugar and high protein), pea milk like the Ripple brand. Lots of options!

Lentils and chickpeas are fantastic of course, but they're not very concentrated sources of protein.

@katiemomandstudent It’s like a soft chicken for those of you that haven’t tried it - easy to pull apart. I usually don’t eat much fake/processed meats but this product is just interesting. It can be an expensive habit, but the grocery store near me usually has sales.

@joeytheflash On amazon you can get PB fit, its like £18 for a months worth and your sorted. 16g is 70cals and 9g of protein.

Theres also cheaper protein bars there too, i quite like the Ridiculous bars but you can also find the PHD plant smart ones on sale there from time to time - or you can get trek bars although the macros are worse (ofc if these are in your locals supermarket and on sale they may be cheaper there).

Linda McCartney also have some great faux meat products, highly recommend the frozen rosemary sausages normally £2 for 6 but often go down to £1.50 - each sausage is 7g or protein and 50 cals (gotta eat a lotta mash with em xD).

Outside of that though theres a lot of "high protein" carbs - mostly wheat based, that if you stick to its pretty easy to hit your protein numbers - just make sure you have some tofu/lentils/beans with them and you'll be fine.

Like wholewheat noodles, 2 nests is 450cals if i have half a block of tofu with that its about 600cals and 35g protein. But if i have a low protein carb like white rice or potatoes thats when things get a little tricky. This is why when i make white rice i'll add in lentils or use another grain instead.

@joeytheflash If you go to a big supermarket you should be able to find the vegan aisle and there you have all processed high protein foods. Some are good, some are nutritionally bad. I like the most vegan tuna, but it is super expensive.

@joeytheflash I am fine with meat substitutes and can’t recall the brand, but I visited London over the summer and found a brand of meatballs and burgers at Sainsbury’s next to my hotel that were imo pretty good and mainly soy protein. Located around the grab-n-go prepared food