Videos of women outdoing/keeping up with men in physical activities?

nordicgirl

I was watching this video earlier of a group of athletes competing in some Youtube competition - two men and two women. I was surprised to see that one of the women came out on top by a long shot! It was just a silly video but I was unreasonably stoked over the outcome lol. It's so rare to see this kind of thing that when it happens I just wanna inject that shit in my veins.

Ninja warrior is also a goldmine for this. Jessie Graff becoming the first woman to clear stage 1 comes to mind, only 17 athletes cleared that season and she placed 5th. Jesse Labreck placing in the top 8 for the entire season was also amazing. Meanwhile in Australia, Olivia Vivian placed 1st overall in a night of semifinals - the first time that's happened anywhere in the world!

Professional boulderer Magnus Midtbo uploaded a video climbing with his sister, and it was so cool to see her basically keep up with him, in almost every other video when he invites someone to climb with him he just completely annihilates them lol. Rock climbing in general has a lot of moments of women being really competitive with men, it's one of the sports where elite-level women might actually hold their own in elite men's competitions.

Netflix's Physical 100 had a few highlights like this too. One that comes to mind was a team challenge where a team of mostly big strong dudes got to pick which team they'd face in a challenge, and picked a team composed of mostly women. The challenge was that they had to transport as much sand as possible through some obstacles within 15 minutes. Everyone thought it would be an easy victory for the guys but the women-majority team came through! I legit jumped when it was announced they had won 😭

Can't think of any more examples now but I'm addicted to this kind of thing lol. Keeps me so motivated to keep pushing. Would love anyone to share their favourite examples of this, whether it's high-level competition or more casual events!

@eshaun92 I did ultra trail running in my 20s - female runner make up the largest percentage of finishers and this has been a trend for a long time. It seems women are tougher mentally and take up this as something that comes naturally to them. While male winners might have slightly faster time, but the rate female runners cross the finishing line is higher.

@nordicgirl Does it count if it’s a video of a girl (MegSquat) not competing against guys but would certainly outdo even most guys at many gyms by hitting 275-lbs x 5 reps squat. As a guy myself, I finally hit a 275-lbs squat for 1 rep PR a few weeks ago. My squat has always been my weakest lift.

Here’s MegSquat hitting her 275-lbs x5 squat:

@nordicgirl CrossFit is a prime example of this, especially the long endurance events at the Games or other comps where the girls and guys go together. Sam Briggs & Emily Rolfe always crush the guys. In this years run test (YouTube) tonnes of the girls absolutely smoked the guys.

@alex2017 I have been doing crossfit for two years now and its such an eye opener how the women excel better at longer wod. As a woman, it makes me feel damn strong. The first time I finish before everyone else during a long 30 mins wod took me by complete surprise. You should see how I kept looking at the guy besides me wondering how the hell he still hasnt finish his while in his head, yeah, women excel in long wod

@nordicgirl I really enjoy watching Crossfit videos: the 'Road to the Games' ones where it follows athletes as they are preparing for the CF Games and just random ones (like how they train, day in the life vlogs etc). While not everyone likes Crossfit and the surroundings of the sport, I find the athletes themselves inspiring. I really enjoy following these women on youtube or instagram. Yes, they are professional athletes and it's completely unattainable for me to get to such a state, it's just awesome seeing them performing at such a level over such a long period of time and not caring about being 'too bulky' or 'too strong' etc.

@nordicgirl Not a video, but snipers:

Deputy says he was initially sceptical about the idea of training women snipers. Now he believes they are more suited to the profession than men. Women are light and nimble, he says; able to retreat without making a sound. On the whole, they are also “more patient,” and less likely to take unjustified risks. But the thing that really convinced him was seeing how women coped with a gruelling military survival test that those in the know call “Fizo”. From a pool of 90 candidates, only five were left standing by the end of the test. Two of them were men. “The other three you see before you.”

https://www.economist.com/europe/2022/12/28/ukraines-women-snipers-take-the-fight-to-putin

Non paywalled: https://archive.ph/nqNEZ

@nordicgirl There is a meta data study (that I need to find) that says that men are faster and beat women at short distances but the gap narrows and narrows as the distance grows. The women overtake the men in 100+ mile races.

@jasminepetty This is what I was going to mention!

In 2012, McKayla Maroney and Kohei Uchimura performed the exact same vault at the Olympics. For reference, Uchimura won the men's All-Around gold medal, so he's not some mediocre dude who was just lucky to be there... he was good. Also for reference, the women's vault table is a few inches lower than the men's, so Maroney was starting with a height disadvantage.

Here is a video comparing the two vaults:

@jasminepetty @nordicgirl yeah there's a lot of "Male gymnasts try female gymnastic events" and vice-versa.

Beam always catches guys off guard, and I see a lot of casual handstand walk competitions where little girls keep up with male Olympians

@nordicgirl Another ultra-endurance sport where women can win races against men is ultracycling. Meaghan Hackinen won this year's Silver State 508(mile) race outright
. Leah Goldstein won the Race Across America outright in 2021 (3000 miles)
. Those videos are interviews and highlights, since the races take many days :)