Vo2 is extremely low. Any tips to improve it ?

lanternburning

27 Male - Until middle of last month I had been extremely sedentary for 2 years and then its been like 13 years before I'd even gone on a walk, extremely non athletic .

Both of these were done at an actual pulmonary facility with the face mask and ekg .So 4 months ago I was 81kg , my vo2 was still low at 71% of expected. They didnt give me the number of ml/kg/min that time. I gained a lot of weight . I went from 81kg (178.5 pounds) to 214 pounds on February 15th . I started a new diet and upped my exercise, nothing strenuous on the exercise just about 40 minutes @ 3mph. As of this morning I'm at 199.7 pounds.

On the 27th of Feb I had another pulmonary cardio stress test. I was 205 pounds then. My vo2 was extremely low. - 21.8ml/kg/min and 61% of expected. So I've gone even lower despite working out more.

I was wanting to know if theres any advice to increase my Vo2 so I don't die at 35 because thats REALLY bad. Here are the notes of the test .

THIS DOES NOT CONTAIN ANY PERSONAL INFORMATION - It is just the results of my stress test to be used to help me devise a workout.

Baseline Spirometry:

FEV1 4.44 (97% predicted)

FVC 5.57 (101% predicted)

FEV1/FVC ratio 0.80 (95% predicted)

Cardiac Response:

The patient exercised for a total of 11:13 minutes attaining a maximal

workload of 168 Watts, equating to 6.9 METS. Resting heart rate was 93

bpm and rose to 176 bpm at maximal effort which reflects 91% of maximal,

age-predicted heart rate response. The resting BP was 115/86 mm Hg and

increased to 163/115 at maximal exercise effort.

Exercise test was stopped due to dyspnea.

Resting ECG showed normal sinus rhythm. There were no arrhythmias or

ischemic changes at maximum exercise.

VO2 at rest was 6.1 ml/kg/min and rose to a peak VO2 of 21.8 at peak

exercise, representing 61% of predicted maximal exercise effort. RER was

1.1 indicating that patient reached anaerobic threshold at peak exercise.

The patient's ventilatory equivalent for carbon dioxide (VE/VCO2) was

22.662 at AT which is normal (should be 30%.)

Spirometry post exercise did not show any evidence of exercise induced

airflow limitation.

INTERPRETATION:

Patient reached anaerobic threshold with a peak VO2 of 21.8 ml/kg/min

which is 61% of predicted.

@lanternburning just do cardio like running 1km everyday for 7 days, then increase it to 1.2km the next etc etc and your vo2 max should increase

if you cant run all the way then walk till you can eventually run all the away

thats just a simple method and theres probably more effective methods but since its simple its easy to follow

@hotairballoon I'll give it a whirl. Walking is easy but once I get up to 4mph and I gotta go from fast walking to running my legs hurt immediately and I have to stop. But this is on a treadmill. I suppose I'll have to go GASP outside.

@lanternburning You need to get your heart rate up to increase VO2Max. If you're being limited by pain then you can try lower impact exercise like bike, elliptical, or rowing.

I would also continue working on walking and running though because weight bearing exercise is important. It will take your body time to adapt to it so just keep at it and work up the time/speed slowly and you will get there eventually.

Doing some strength training can also help with pain during cardio. Stronger muscles will better support your joints.

@lanternburning Sounds like "impact" exercise hurts do to your weight. I'm 58 and I try to reduce impact and get great cardio burns on an elliptical machine. If you don't have access to a gym you can simply walk up stairs (like in a hotel and take the elevator down).

There is some great videos on YT from Dr. Peter Attia about VO2max. I follow his regiment and am really happy with my VO2Max.

Good luck on your diet (I'm on one too) ... it's tough. If you want a weight loss buddy, DM me

@lanternburning Of course gradually up your exercise level as people have recommended.

It also wouldn't hurt to sing, and do breathing exercises for singers. They work on breathing from the diaphragm and using the whole lung, instead of just the upper chest. Also posture, stretching out the rib cage, etc.

Back