Want to take a 1-2 week break. Could use some insight

joshteo

I work out 4x a day right now and my body feels like it needs a break.. it feels in pain and very sore and 'heavy' id say.

Ive started training intensivley again back in june, after a few months of barely working out. in the 12 or so weeks that ive been working out ive went through a very aggressive cut, losing like 10% of bodyweight. 2weeks or so ago I started eating in a surplus and working out heavier now that i finished cutting (abt 500 cal surplus right now)..

but the past few days different parts of my body have just started being painful. my chest feels like its tearing during any chest workouts, shoulder hurts doing shoulder press .. etc. im not even using that heavy weights compared to my cut.. im slowly increasing and doing controlled reps as always.

I want to take a 2 week break or so, but im wondering how i should spend this time.. should i lower my calories, by how much.. should i do cardio.. what is the best way i recover my muscles that arent at 100%?

if anyone has any insight to taking a break please let me know, and thanks in advance :)

Edit: guys it was a typo 4x a week lol. Who works out 4x a day that’s CRAZY

@joshteo Take at most a week off. You can not train at all or deload. Which you chose depends on how mentally and physically beat up you are. I prefer to deload, and usually just let life dictate my full weeks off. If you feel the need for a two week break, while in a surplus, something is very very wrong with your training

@dawn16 Hey thanks for the response. I don’t think I need 2 weeks off. Right now I’m just exhausted I’m prob just over exaggerating lol. Id prob like to fully take the week off. But I’d want to start running more.. maybe even work on mobility.

Regarding my calorie intake, what would you say would be the best plan? Lower by 250 from what it currently is And keep my protein the same?

60-70% of usual load, 2 sets, 2/3-1/2 my usual reps. Feels dumb and useless, but prevents DOMs upon return.

The other method I like - which you may prefer - is to use it as a lead in week. Take week 1 of your program, and whatever the progression scheme is, work backwards for a week 0. For example if week 1 is 3x10, then week 2 is 4x12, week 0 (deload/lead in week) is 2x8. Or if week one is 3 sets at 3 RIR and week two is 4 sets at 2 RIR, make week 0 2 sets at 4 RIR.

@dawn16 4 days off always feels like the sweet spot when I'm way over cooked. I feel better in 3 but in hindsight that last day always seems like the most important, similar to taking an extra day off after being sick.