Weight gain after weight training

prayerwarrior02

Hello, all! I (23, F) have recently started muscle training and weight lifting more seriously (about 2 weeks ago), however I have a (stupid maybe) question: is it true that muscles weigh more than fat? As I have recently weighed myself (I don't do it often as I have some unpleasant history with the scales) and shockingly I weigh more than before however I feel the same (if not better) and would dare to say look the same (starting to see some definition in some areas). My clothes fit me the same... I don't know what is going on. Should I stop lifting and start doing something else (more cardio or toning exercises)?

Thank you! 💪🏻

@prayerwarrior02 How much of a difference are we talking about - how many pounds?

There can be small-scale weight fluctuations due to factors other than fat and muscle. Water retention is one of them. Intense exercise can trigger a healing process in the muscle, which is generally accompanied by water retention.

I don't see any reason why you should stop lifting. I assume your goal is to look better, and you seem to be accomplishing that.

@satanworshiper666 I would say there's a difference since my last weighing of about 6-8 pounds, however I don't know how accurate any of those weighings ere, as I weighed myself after having my meals, water and coffee so yes... Plus in both cases I was close to my period or right after and from my knowledge, these different phases of the menstrual cycle can have a great impact on the scale + my genetics of being prone to water retention.

Yes, my goal is to achieve a more leaner and a more fit physique (besides the mental health related benefits of sport).

@prayerwarrior02 6 pounds is within the range of fluctuation just due to water retention / dehydration that I've observed myself, so your observation could be explained by that.

Muscle does weigh more than fat, from what I've read. But your goal is not a number on a scale, but looking and feeling good. So keep going. You don't need to be a stick figure. You said you're starting to see some definition, and I think that's a great sign.

One more thing - one way to figure out if you're gaining or losing fat is to use skin fold calipers like these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B2MIDFY They are inexpensive and better than guessing.

@prayerwarrior02 I had a scare with this as well. For reference though, I am 36/male.

I was sedentary as a teen, then started martial arts and football my freshman year of HS. Football wanted me to gain weight, so I did. Went from about 170 - 200 lbs, developed a heart murmur and high blood pressure, so they wanted me to lose weight. I did, but have been very concerned about keeping my weight low ever since.

Martial arts kept me fit, but it was cardio intensive. Muscle training was pretty much body weight only and not super consistent. I hovered around 160-165 lbs for like 15 years. Covid was terrible because I got lazy with macros and ended up severely under eating, like 1400-1600 calories a day. That habit lasted a while - I either had no appetite or felt like I was too busy or tired to eat, so I didn’t.

About 18 month ago I was doing some calisthenics and weight work after training martial arts for a few hours. I was sore from the weekend, but figured I just needed to work and it would go away. Long story short, I ended up compressing a nerve in my neck and also gave myself a partial pectoral tear. 6 months of physical therapy, major upper body muscle atrophy, etc. I could do 150 push-ups in about five minutes and went to not being able to do more than two without a lot of pain. Same with pull-ups, dips, toe to bar leg raises…it’s still taking time to go back.

Anyways, I didn’t gain weight but my visible six pack had gone away (spent YEARS on that, I’m still mad!) and I just looked kinda squishy. A fitness gym opened behind my house and martial arts wasn’t really feasible anymore, so I signed up.

I have been eating about 2200 cal a day - still not enough, but a significant jump from where I was. Noticeable gains in strength. That six pack is still gone, but my overall body shape at least looks “fit” and so squishy. Weight went up to about 175, clothes felt kind of tight, and I panicked.

I have been told the same stuff you were - a lot of that weight is likely water weight from muscle inflammation. I was also told that lean mass gains tend to happen quicker than fat loss, and since muscle weighs more that can also account for some weight gain. I was still concerned that my pants were fitting tighter that I was used to, but was told that that’s likely a combo of my trunk getting more muscular first and that any fat tissue probably hasn’t come around to being reduced yet.

My trainer does want to bulk me up to about 185 before doing a cut back down to around 170 though, so I was told to buy some bigger pants in the meantime and not to worry too much 🤣

@wstorm I do general weight lifting, divided into 3 workout days (one day lower body, one day upper body and another for full body) + one cardio session per week. I try to get in 4 workouts/week.

In regards to gaining more muscles, I would say so, as I am starting to see some definition in my legs and arms (biceps + triceps and shoulders).

Back