What could contribute to low test levels in a natural male "healthy" teenager (me)?

wreckingball667

I am an 18 year old college male. I sleep at least 7 hours a day (way more on weekends, even getting to the point where it feels unhealthy) and exercise 5-6 times a week both doing weight training and cardio. I started weight training about a year and a half ago seriously and have been keeping up with it consistently and have been making progress. But I realized that within the last few months, progress has been extremely slow and I feel like I am actually getting weaker despite still being relatively new to lifting.

At first I figured it was just me getting out of the "newbie gains" period but after a few other signs I realized there might be something else to it. What made me think this is along with slow gym progress I also have had no libido and don’t feel like talking to women but I am primarily concerned with my progress in the gym.

I also feel as though I have no energy during the day and that no amount of sleep makes me feel "awake" even when I sleep for 10-12 hours (which I could do every day if I had no commitments). I also feel like my social life is sort of dead and I also have no motivation to go out or even make plans.

All of these factors led me to believe that I had low test. I am having some issues with hair shedding as well so I decided I might as well just get my bloodwork done anyway.

I mentioned some of this earlier, but for reference, I am an 18 year old male. I am 6' 170lbs probably somewhere around 17% body fat so I have a "healthy" body. I sleep for at least 7 hours a day. My diet is heavy on protein granted it is not perfect. I also do eat a fair amount of vegetables and "good" carb sources. I also don't drink or smoke frequently (at most once every week or two). And, in case it makes any difference, I have a full beard despite being young but I don't have too much body hair.

The results of my blood work were shocking but kind of expected. I'm just including what is low or what I think should be included. Please let me know if I should include anything else:

Testosterone (NG/dl): 257

Testosterone, bioavailable (NG/dL): 174.2

Testosterone, free (pg/mL): 74.3

Sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG) (nmol/L): 14.1

Vitamin D (NG/ml): 22

MCH(pg): 25.9

MCHC(g/dL): 31.3

Bioavailable and free testosterone don't have reference ranges but, besides that, everything else is low.

I have had vitamin D deficiency for awhile, even when I felt "normal" (around/before the pandemic) so I don't think that is too relevant. But regardless I started supplementing it. And in case MCH/MCHC makes a difference, I started supplementing iron as well.

The supplements that I take are magnesium glycinate, zinc, potassium/iodine, iron, a multivitamin (with vitD), and ashwagandha.

Given all this, it seems like I live a pretty healthy lifestyle. For reference, my brother (21) has T levels 3x of mine so I don't think it is a genetic thing.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Every day I just feel like trash and now I think I actually have a reason why so I would like to fix that.

Thank you!

TLDR: I'm 18 and have a subjectively healthy lifestyle (decent diet, weight training and cardio 5-6x a week, decent sleep) but have low test and I have no clue why.

@wreckingball667 You need to see a physician, this isn’t appropriate for this subreddit.

Also, it isn’t unusual for teenagers to do better with more than 7-8 hours of sleep, this is a common criticism of the school system.

@wreckingball667 You sound a lot like me, I was the same height and weight at your age. My testosterone came with age, you’re probably a late bloomer like me. Which is good! Because I still have not reached my physical peak yet and I’m 30. What helped my energy, was increasing calories….a lot. When I started eating a bunch, combined with lots of physical activity, I felt amazing. Like my body was never supposed to be at such a low weight. Technically your weight is “healthy” but maybe you need more to thrive. Food is energy after all, your body converts it into energy. That’s my two cents at least, of what worked for me.

Also I have sleep apnea, and had a lot of your same symptoms. I would sleep 12 hours and never feel rested. Maybe you would want to consider talking to a sleep doctor and getting tested.

@dawn16 It’s interesting though because I felt a lot better (though hungrier) when I was eating a lot less (I was originally 200lbs and bottomed out at 155lbs). But I didn’t consider my sleep quality, since my dormmate hasn’t been bothered by it so that’s why I never thought about it. I also thought it might be related to not eating enough but I’ve been gaining weight slowly but surely but it feels like my strength is stagnant and varies so much day by day. Thank you for your response and I hope that I am in fact a late bloomer if anything.

@wreckingball667 It takes several tests to determine if you have low T. You need to get with your dr, because this isn’t something for the internet. That said, your levels are very low, especially given your age.

@wreckingball667 Feel free to ask me any questions. I’ve been on TRT for 6 years now, and no, I never took PED’s before then. I felt like absolute dog crap for several years, and my wife (a DNP) told me to get bloodwork, and my T was 53……

@wreckingball667 Good advice above. And Lucky to have spotted this at your age also. My 2 cents is you have functioning testicles, they just need a constant slap. At your age, if you do decide for treatment, those options which spur your own production is a good first option. As to why your low, millions probably in same boat, my money is on chemicals, look at the ingredient list of your everyday toothpaste

@wreckingball667 General rule - don’t get blood tests without consulting a physician. They are not as simple to interpret as high/low/normal, and some should only be ordered in specific contexts.

@wreckingball667 ChatGPT...
Your situation sounds quite challenging and it's understandable that you're seeking answers. Low testosterone levels in young males like yourself can be influenced by various factors. Here are some potential contributors:

Nutritional Deficiencies: Although you're consuming a protein-rich diet with vegetables and good carbs, certain nutrient deficiencies can still occur. You're already supplementing vitamin D and iron, which is good, but it's important to ensure a balanced intake of all essential nutrients. Deficiencies in vitamins and minerals, especially vitamin D, zinc, and magnesium, can impact testosterone levels.

Overtraining: Exercising 5-6 times a week with both weight training and cardio can sometimes lead to overtraining, especially if your body isn't getting enough recovery time. Overtraining can cause hormonal imbalances, including reduced testosterone production.

Sleep Quality: While you're getting a decent amount of sleep, the quality of sleep is also crucial. Poor sleep quality can negatively affect hormone production, including testosterone. Since you mention feeling unrested despite long sleep hours, it could indicate that the quality of your sleep might not be optimal.

Stress and Mental Health: Stress and mental health issues can also affect hormonal balance. You mentioned feeling low energy, lack of motivation, and a decline in social interactions, which could be signs of stress or other mental health concerns. Elevated stress levels can increase cortisol, a hormone that negatively impacts testosterone production.

Underlying Health Conditions: Certain medical conditions can lead to lower testosterone levels. These include hormonal disorders, liver or kidney problems, or issues with the testes. Since your brother has significantly higher T levels, it suggests that genetics might not be a major factor in your case.

Lifestyle Factors: While you mention only drinking or smoking occasionally, even infrequent use of alcohol or tobacco can impact testosterone levels. Also, certain medications or supplements can have side effects that include lowered testosterone.

Given your detailed description and the steps you've already taken to address potential deficiencies, it's advisable to continue working closely with a healthcare provider. They can help you explore other possible causes, adjust your training and nutrition plan if necessary, and provide guidance on managing stress and improving sleep quality. It's important to address this holistically, considering both physical and mental health aspects.

@wreckingball667 We can only guess here, as we’re not your doctors. However, 99% of the time people are living in a calorie deficit for ages then shocked pikachu when their bloods are poop.

Bulk for 4 weeks and see if your libido returns.

@wreckingball667 Re-evaluate your sleep. Time spent on bed ≠ sleeping.

Your lifestyle is already there.

Improve your relationship with other people.

Get sunlight, walk around nature, watch sunse

Manage your stress

Re-evaluate your foods to their ingredients, and not just the macros

@wreckingball667 you cut 25% of your body weight. my best guess is caloric restriction coupled with inadequate carbs or fat. when your body is restricted you won’t produce sex hormones like you should. luten lvls drop and they control your test production. your not intermittent fasting are you? i’m no doctor but if i was in your situation and money was tight. i’d make sure i was getting my nutrition on point, regularly complex carbs adequate fat intake ( quality ground beef is pretty inexpensive). if the weightloss came from high volume endurance training that could drop your T as well. last point cycle your ashwaganda you don’t take your adaptogens all the time.