What does r/fitness not understand about CrossFit?

@richard11 That people think I choose between going to CrossFit classes vs. working out by myself based on the gains I might get each way. I choose between going to CrossFit classes and sitting at home on the sofa. Because that’s exactly what I used to do when given the option between that and working out by myself. I don’t care if CrossFit has a lot of imperfections, because at least I do it and that’s because I love that dumb sport.

@chrisitanmom This is me. Sure, I theoretically could squat or bench or shoulder press more if I just focused on that by going to Golds. But I won't. I hate that. I've tried it no less than a dozen times in my five decades of life and every time I just find myself bored as shit. If it works for you, that's great. On the other hand, I also hate the "pure" cardio class activities (e.g. Spin). But again, if that works for you, that's great. Just not my cup of tea.

Another to put this is that this is...

Crossfit : Globogym Lifting :: Spin: Solo Cycling

It's not the same thing as the "focused by myself" alternative. It's a riff on it in a class format that gives me a chunk of the benefits of the solo activity with the camaraderie/semi-competitive benefits of a class-based activity.

@richard11 I've been out of r/fitness for a while because I just can't with some of the stuff. So this is more directed at the fitness community/fitness social media. So it is a little hard to do it the other way around with that in mind.

What r/fitness doesn't understand about crossfit:

-The point. Yes. Crossfit is exercise, but it's also sport. So sometimes the point is different. I'm not doing kipping pullups because I think they are the same as strict or to make myself super strong. I do them to get better at kipping pullups. I think this is the biggest one.

-Kind of related to the other point, but a lot of people go to crossfit for more than just to be healthy or for gains. Yeah, I could probably have more muscle mass if I went to a regular gym. I actually tried it. And then I never went because I was bored to tears.

What crossfit doesn't understand about r/fitness (and again, this is more Crossfit vs Everybody kinda thing):

-Other types of fitness are just as if not more effective and more sustainable. Your heart rate being 1 million for 10 minutes really isn't THAT taxing. "My warmup is your workout" is bullshit and elitist (without actually being elite).

-Crossfit has shit optics most of the time. That's why it gets made fun of. Talking about crossfit might change that for an individual, but at the end of the day, it will always have that optic. It's best to just deal with it and move on.

Tbh, I feel like this sub actually has a fairly realistic view of crossfit and how the world views it.

@thunderstruck To be fair, crossfit did invite top athletes from other "fitnesses" to compete. Ie hunter McIntyre, several "2nd tier" cf athletes went to I believe f45 championship and got 1 2nd and 3rd if I remember correctly... the crossfit mantra of "lift more than a runner and run more than a lifter" somewhat sums up crossfit. The issue is really that crossfit is only one of a few sports that tests full fitness. Its also labeled that because anyone from anywhere can do the open and compete for the title regardless of their background

@thunderstruck All comes down to how CrossFit defines itself and fitness. They have very specific definitions for both. As such they state that the Games are the best test of fitness. And the winners are the fittest.

If an O Course competitor, or bodybuilder, or endurance athlete or whoever feels their sport/method is a better measure of fitness they are free to make that argument.

Especially against the CrossFit definition of fitness.

Intensity, Non-Specificity, GPP, Work capacity, ability to perform in the unknown and unknowable. It's all available and Open Source on CrossFit.com

Go pick it apart

@hbkfan32 You’re seeing it from the inside. Here’s the outside

these people say they’re the fittest on earth but their champion ran a 5k that would be 29th in our town’s thanksgiving day fun run. I’m skeptical.

Your post is just restating Greg’s ideas. That’s fine but it’s just what Greg said. It’s not science or anything. If fitness could be objectively measured, they wouldn’t change the tests every year, right?

If they just said “CrossFit games champion” that “we’re better than you” vibe wouldn’t exist and fewer people would criticize CF.

@gmeyerarr Fitness is relative to the task.

To say that Crossfitters are the "Fittest in the World" only works if you accept Crossfits definition of fitness, which is kind of circular. We're the fittest because we define fitness in such a way that we are the fittest.