When I gain muscle, I gain fat, and when I lose fat, I lose muscle. This is BS

@silas0307 When you are on a diet you have to lose weight slowly while still pushing hard in the gym. You should lose mostly all fat (yes you will lose some muscles but if diet is good it will be minimal).

You have to repeat bulk and cut many times and each time you cut you will have more and more muscle.

@silas0307 A moderate deficit (250-500 cals, instead of 500-1000) gives you the energy to lift heavy so you’ll primarily lose fat as you lose weight. It’s slower and therefore many people don’t like to do it but it’s more sustainable: since you lost it slowly, that means you modified your diet less radically so therefore it’s easier to maintain those modifications over the long haul.

As others have said, up protein—> 0.8 g/pound of goal weight is less that you may see recommended elsewhere but, again, it will support muscle growth and tends to be more sustainable long term for people.

Consistency in our diets is an underrated weapon for success. Where you can be less extreme and more consistent, do that.

When some people go into a surplus in order to bulk, they unconsciously see it as an opportunity to eat pizza, burgers, etc—cuz I gotta eat in a surplus, right? Again, it’s a moderate surplus (250-500 cals) on the days you lift, just by eating a bit more of the foods you normally eat. Like, add a couple more ounces of chicken and a little more rice and you’re set. They can accidentally eat way more than they realize. Track your calories during a bulking surplus so you’re intentional about it.

@lullublue1 could be eating enough protein, but blowing out too many calories on bulk, and not enough on the deficit.

There's a fine balance to anabolism and catabolism in each scenario. protein requirements are crucial, but energy balance is lower on the foundational pyramid when it comes to body composition.

@owlgurl Goin to failure is when doing reps of an exercise until you fail to do another. Going close to failure is stopping a few reps before. For example if you fail on rep 20 you do 18 reps. Some like to go to failure but form the research I have seen that is not necessary to increase strength. But if you can do 20 and only do 10 you will not build much muscle.

@betreshalephshinyadtaw Curious about this comment. I’m 3 weeks into using the egym circuit at my local Y. I’ve been going Monday-Friday. Take off weekends. Is 5 days too much? The circuit is upper body, core, and lower body. You’re supposed to do all of it every time.

@gmhogan77 As long as each muscle group gets at least 48 hours of rest you are fine. So upper body on Monday and Wednesday is fine. But if you do Monday: Upper body. Tuesday: core. Wednesday: lower body. Thursday: Upper body etc then that is even better.