When I gain muscle, I gain fat, and when I lose fat, I lose muscle. This is BS

@gmhogan77 Then you are only gaining muscles on Saturday and some on Sunday. You break down muscle when you train and they grow when you rest. Check any fitness subreddit and they will say the same. Your heart is the only muscle you can train daily and even that you should give rest days now and then.

@silas0307
When I gain muscle, I gain fat, and when I lose fat, I lose muscle. This is BS

No, it's called biology. You're not a machine to be assembled where you can decide to add 3 parts of muscle and 0 parts of fat.

How do I get out of this vicious circle.

You stay in a caloric surplus while you're doing intensive strength training to bulk up and after you complete that phase of what's called a meso-cycle (4-6 weeks) you go into a maintenance phase or do a mini-cut as explained in this video series by Renassiance Periodization.

Because you can't pick and choose whether to gain/lose fat or muscle through diet alone, you have to alternate your dieting goals and phases between gaining and losing mass and train appropriately during the loss phase to retain muscle while losing fat.

@aranyi_zsolt This is the one answer you are lookung for OP. People say just bulk/cut but they forget about maintenance phases you can only train so hard for so long until you need a deload week or active rest phase or maintenance phase otherwise you are training hard enough or not enough volume.

@silas0307 Like others have said, this is probably a speed thing. If you build rapidly, you'll likely so gain a substantial amount of body fat too. If you cut too aggressively and introduce a bunch of cardio, you'll burn up muscle too. Equally loads of extra cardio is sending your body the signal that it's actually endurance not strength you need.

The cut/bulk only needs to be 200-300 cals from maintenance. Keep protein high, continue to lift weights and be patient.

@silas0307 Not doing it long enough

Either bulk until you're as big as you want and cut

Or cut until you're lean as fuck and then bulk (preferred option)

If you gain 5lbs and cut 5lbs cyclically you'll just spin your wheels

@silas0307 https://miketnelson.com/about-drmike/

The reality is you can absorb almost all of the protein that you consume,"

On the other hand, Nelson points out that the amount of amino acids that can be used to fuel muscle growth2, or muscle protein synthesis is limited.

So eating more protein will definitely help you feel fuller so you might eat less but in terms of muscle building, there’s only so much of amino acids your body is even going to absorb.

@silas0307 You aren’t lifting in a surplus long enough to build dense muscle then you’re starving anything you gained off

Real mass takes years on years of work so yeah you to be a thick boy for a while then diet it off with a mild deficit

Eat more protein and change your training around muscle retention

Look up some videos by Dr. Mike on maintaining while on a cut

By your post
History I’m guessing outside of lifting you’re pretty sedentary work on that

Less gaming more walking, lifting , eating

@silas0307 Sounds like you’re doing it too fast. You should aim for .2-.5lbs gain or loss each week to retain as much muscle as possible. That’s assuming you don’t have a lot to lose.

@silas0307 This isn’t nearly enough information to advise you on breaking whatever cycle you’re in. Metabolically, it’s true you’ll see faster results if you’re focusing on either gaining muscle with some increase in fat, or dropping weight/fat at the cost of losing some muscle. That’s why so many people focus on either bulking or cutting cycles in accordance with their goals. They focus on upping the muscle mass, then cutting the extra fat while holding onto precious muscle mass. That is accomplished by getting enough protein in a slight deficit and strength training to preserve muscle.

You can gain muscle with minimal body fat increases, and you can also dropping body fat without sacrificing much muscle, but it’s a slow process and your diet needs to be consistently meticulous, and you need to get sufficient protein.

No it isn’t easy, but it IS simple.

@silas0307 When in a calorie deficit you can reduce the amount of lean tissue you lose by having a rigorous weightlifting regimen. But the bigger the deficit the more likely you are to lose lean mass with the fat.