When should I do cardio/running? Recommendations or tips for planning the first time (12 weeks)?

destls

I apologize if this has been answered already.

I’m trying to plan my own workouts for the first time. I’ve only done YouTube workouts. I’ve got my strength training split figured out but can’t seem to find where I should do cardio. I’ve seen websites that recommend before, after and on separate days at least three days per week. I wanted to fit in cardio once. But I am trying to improve my running time so I want to go for a mile at least 3 days per week at a minimum, probably more than that.

I heard on strength days to go on a lighter run. But I honestly have no clue what I should do with so many conflicting recommendations online.

Also, if you have any tips for my overall workout plan for 12 weeks that would be extremely helpful. I’m a scout doing the Personal fitness merit badge but have no clue where to start. Thanks in advance!

Split:
M: full body
T: active rest day
W: lower body
Th: upper body
F: active rest day
S: full body
Su: rest day

Stretch at least 4-5x per week

@destls You can do cardio every day, but for long runs, limit it to aerobic. To know if you're in aerobic, you should be able to carry out a conversation.

If you want to do Anaerobic, limit this to HIIT and for a short duration.

Ultimately, you should do the cardio you

If you plan on doing weight lifting and cardio consecutively, do the weight lifting first. For your workout splits, 12-15 sets per muscle groups per week for amateur. 15-20 for novice and advanced above 20. Reps keep in the 6-12 range and keep track of what reps and at what weights you did. You should slowly increase the weight or reps over time.

@destls Don’t complicate it - try and keep your cardio sessions as far away from lifting sessions as possible, if you can. If not sometime AFTER the lifts, preferably not before

Back