Where to go from here

lllawliet

Hi everyone,

I am F 33, 4′ 9, 106lb (I think. I am 1,47cm and 48kg).

I want to be leaner, do not care much about the number on the scale, but since I am very short and have broad shoulders sometimes I feel like a square, and also I do not have much muscle so I wanted to gain some and look more toned.

I started to go to the gym with a PT who is also my pole dancing instructor. She has the type of body I want to achieve and she knows me so I thought it would be a good choice.

We are doing strength training, weights, etc twice a week. No cardio except 5 min for warm up. She increases the weights etc, there is no problem at all with her or the training itself.

I also go to pole once a week. I know there are some misconceptions about how hard pole is, I assure you once you get to the level I am in, it is hard. It is not a walk in the park to invert 20 times and hold your weight upside down in impossible positions for an hour. What I mean to say is that this day is not light exercise.

I have been working with her for a month and I have not seen any change. We started with 1,500 cal but when I did not lose any weight after a couple of weeks she cut it to 1,300 (90gr of protein daily). I thought it was very little but since I was not seeing any change I went with it. I count religiously and keep a spreadsheet.

Two weeks after still no change in my weight and not sure what to do. She had a talk with me today and said basically my options are to either:

a) bulk for 8 months at a very slow rate and then cut

b) keep the same amount of calories and the same amount of exercise plus 20min of cardio 4 times a week.

c) do not change anything and just assume that I am going to progress very slowly.

I do not like option A because it is the opposite of what I want for my look, I struggle with my self-esteem and image and I do not think I could take to look bigger than what I am now, and also because it is a long process and I do not want to be uncomfortable with how I look for so long.

I do not like option B because it seems like a lot of exercise and very few calories and I am already pretty hungry, so I can imagine that more exercise is going to make me hungrier and I honestly am miserable enough to put myself through that.

And I do not like option C because well, I am paying a personal trainer to not get results.

Is there anything that I am doing wrong or that my PT is doing wrong? Should I resign and just stick to pole? I am feeling pretty down and I must admit part of this is just me venting so I am sorry for the long rant. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thank you.

@lllawliet As a petite, your results will be slow. As a petite at an already healthy weight, they're going to be a lot slower.

Don't focus on the weight. Two weeks is like no time whatsoever -- usually when I start something new, I actually gain weight the first few weeks due to inflammation and water retention. Give it some time. Measure multiple ways -- take your weight, but also take body measurements if you can. If your goal is to look toned and not weight loss, your weight probably won't change much at all, if any.

It took me nearly five months to actually see visual changes when I started lifting. Option C all the way. Just be patient.

@mj_1969 Thank you. I am confused because I once did a Chloe Ting get shred challenge and I did see results there! I lost weight (so probably did not gain much muscle) but I lost a couple of cm in my waist. However with this training I have not lost any cm. Should I maybe just go back to a workout more based in cardio and HIIT like Chloe's? I am so confused.

@lllawliet I think it's just going to be a matter of preference for you. I've always preferred weight lifting since I prefer a look that resembles an off-season bikini competitor tbh.

If you're into looking smaller and more svelte, those other workouts might work for you, HOWEVER, it is good to keep in mind that the more muscle you have from lifting weights, the more you can eat at maintenance. HIIT workouts just won't provide that long term benefit, and they can have a higher risk of injury.

I say to just see this through for a couple months. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. But the absolute worst thing you can do is keep switching up your routine because the other side looks greener. You'll just be treading water.

@lllawliet I don’t have any advice specifically but I do agree with the person who said to stick it out, I’d give it 12 weeks and if no change in the direction you are wanting then try a different approach.

Also if it’s not affordable for you and that’s part of it - don’t struggle financially for it! (Sorry if that’s crossing a line I obviously have no idea of your financial position)

Back