Workout Equipment You Love vs. Never Use

hebahesh

Edit: Thank you everyone for all the recommendations! So fun to see what everyone uses. Got several questions about the walking treadmill, so adding the link below.

I’m a shopaholic when it comes to workout equipment so I’m very interested in what people have bought for their home gym that they don’t use and why (to discourage me even thinking about buying it). But that sounded negative so please tell me what you love too!

My Loves:
  • Short Resistance Bands
  • Barbell
  • Squat Rack
  • Adjustable Kettlebell (love this for pullovers and single arm rows)
  • Yoga Blocks (love to prop this under my feet on the bench as a short person)
  • Treadmill (under desk kind so convenient for a small condo, use it when I watch TV, study and even work sometimes)
My Rarely Use:
  • Long Resistance Bands (bought this before the barbell, seems like I’m a little allergic to latex, but would still use this if I travel)
  • Adjustable Dumbbells (takes too long to change the plates)
Links:

UMAY Treadmill - https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08CNCY4J1?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Used this for a month so far, lightweight and easy to move around, quiet, goes up to 4mph, supports up to 198lb - price is pretty low right now compared to what I paid!

@hebahesh Love: adjustable dumbbells! Bought them used two years ago and they’re worth every penny. I use them almost every day. Manduka yoga mat. Another splurge but a game changer. Thin, light, and grippy. Great for even non-yoga exercise.

Hate: wouldn’t say hate, but more “never use”. I bought two kettle bells prior to the adjustable dumbbells and just never use them.

@hebahesh Love and use all the time: Yoga mats (a thicker one for at home, and a super thin one that I can fold up and toss into a tote bag that use for standing practices on my lunch break at work), dumbbells (I have 3s, 5s, 8s, 10s, 12s, 15s, 20s, and a single 25 and they all get used), Chromebook laptop for streaming YouTube workout vids.

Use sometimes: a handle that converts a dumbbell to a kettlebell, yoga strap, yoga blanket (just a cheap blanket I bought that I don’t mind throwing on the floor), long resistance bands, bars and plates.

Never use: yoga blocks, loop bands

@hebahesh This might seem extremely simple but... my yoga mat! I love it, and honestly I wouldn’t be where I am without some kind of yoga mat. Between dry skin, a mind that wanders, and a lack of space... my yoga mat keeps me from slipping, keeps my mind on what I’m doing (creating a space just for that thing), and allows me to remember that I can do what I need even in a very small area.

Otherwise, I have a pretty terrible bench (cheap, found on Kijiji, previous owner wasn’t using it), some dumbbells with interchangeable weights, a bar, and a treadmill (found for free at the recycling place that since has closed, it’s from the 80’s). I use them all! I also have some short “booty bands,” which I use a lot. Good for physio!

I don’t really use my long bands, though I am slowly considering using them to do pull-ups. I should be using them more for Physio as well >_>

Honestly, I would love to have the space and money to get better equipment. I don’t like having to change out my plates so much, I don’t like how wobbly my bench is, or how I can’t do a decline with it (only incline or flat), but... I do what I can with what I have!

@hebahesh I love my kettlebell, dumbbells and thick fabric leg bands. Never use my short or long rubber bands, stability ball, my X3 set (it’s so awkward for a petite person as myself) or my rings and pull-up bar.

@hebahesh Love: horse!, treadmill, spin bike, multiple dumbbells, yoga mat/blocks/blanket, regular mat.

Rarely use: resistance bands, minibands, elliptical. There's nothing wrong with any of these but for the past year I've been running nearly all of my workouts from the Peloton app which have any/many options for these pieces of equipment.

Everything's in my garage gym with the exception of the horse ;)

@hebahesh Love:
  • Adjustable dumbbells: I have the Powerblocks Sport 24 and I love them! Switching weights is pretty quick and I’m nowhere near lifting 24 pounds so I should be good for a while! I also bought a cheap bench from Amazon to go with them.
  • Treadmill: My neighborhood roads are super cracked and uneven and I don’t want to run alone at the park for safety reasons, so I do a lot of my running on the treadmill.
  • Stationary Bike: I have a cheap fold up bike from Amazon which is decent enough for following along with spin classes.
  • Yoga Mat: I got a thick Gaiam mat that is great! I’ve never slipped on it and the cushioning is thick enough for my knees.
Rarely use:
  • TRX: I bought this before the adjustable dumbbells, but just haven’t gotten around to using it.
  • Pull up bar: Similarly to the TRX, I intend to use it but I don’t have a clear doorway to install it in.
  • Resistance bands: I’m afraid of them breaking and whipping me in the face!
  • Jumprope: I so badly want to be a jumprope person but there isn’t a good space in my house to jump and the yard is full of dog poop.

@hebahesh

Use Often
  • Power cage with DIY cable system
  • Comp Spec bench-press bench
  • Comp Spec Powerlifting platform
  • DIY landmine
  • Calibrated plates
  • Assorted DBs and KBs
  • Bands
  • Foam rollers
  • Dowel
  • Agility ladder
  • TRX
  • Specialty Bars
  • FID Bench
  • Aerobic steps (lots of uses but never for aerobics)
  • 3 year old daughter (adds extra weight to some exercises :D )
Rarely Used
  • Stationary Bike
  • Skipping rope
  • Medicine Balls
  • Hula Hoop
  • Weighted Vest
  • Large Tyre
Wish List
  • Reverse Hyper
  • More Plates
  • I need a new exercise ball and Bosu, my wobble board is also past it's use by date
Hates
  • Smith Machine (I don't own and would never use)

@hebahesh crazy - i just realized I use everything in my home gym!

Homemade squat rack (it's basically buckets of cement with 2x4s stuck in them)

Bench

Barbell

Plates

Dumbbell handles (I use the 5-10lb barbell plates with them so they are adjustable!)

Pushup handles

Pullup bar

Resistance bands

30lb kettle bell

Yoga mat

Yoga blocks

Yoga strap

Yoga wheel (only just started using this and so far only use it for one thing - supine leg curls) but trying to incorporate it more!

Oh actually one thing I don't use: yoga swing. Thought it would be good for my back and fun to learn some tricks, but it takes a minute to set up and I just never have the inclination to do that. If my gym wasn't my living room and my living room wasn't my entire apartment I would probably leave it up all the time and that would solve that problem.

@gurshwin oh wow a yoga swing sounds so cool! but totally agree. anything that takes more than a minute to set up really tends to get neglected for me too. hope it makes a comeback one day!

@hebahesh Love:

Dumbbells (I own 10s - 30s, and a pair of adjustable bow flex which I only like)

Spin bike

Booty bands

Apple TV (to stream easily)

Don’t use:

Barbell/plates (takes up too much space when I can use dumbbells for mostly every burn)

Swiss ball

Bosu

Any fitness DVD’s

@hebahesh love: yoga mat, dumbbells, fabric resistance bands

dont use much: jumprope but only because i moved and now go on walks/jogs for my cardio

eyeing: kettleball, more weights