Workout routine for a 4 on 4 off schedule

rootsrockreggae

Hey guys my works schedule is 4 days on 4 days off. I work 12s plus hour commute so 13ish hours I’m gone. Wife works full time as well so when I come home I’m helping around the house and getting the kids settled down. Leaves me no time to get any kind of workout in on those days.

My days off though are a different story and I have been strictly working out on my days off for a while now but I’ve noticed no gains. How can I optimize my workouts for maximal gains working out 4 days in a row and then taking 4 days off. I’m assuming taking 4 rest days in a row is probably not very ideal but it’s what I have to work with. I tried 6 days ppl working out only on 2 of my schedules work days but it interfered with a lot and was more frustrating and not very sustainable. Trying to figure out a good routine. I would be willing to do 5 days of excercise and then 3 rest days that wouldn’t be too demanding.

Can someone with a similar schedule reach out and help me figure out a routine? If it wasn’t for home and family obligations I would just get up early or go to the gym after my 12 hour shift but 4 kids and a wife that also works full time take priority on those days.

Open to any suggestions just trying to brainstorm.
Currently running an upper/lower split.
Tried out a PPLUL for 5 days straight and it was sustainable but I did have to miss the last leg day here and there so I switched back to ULUL but I’m willing to go back if someone can confirm that it would definitely be more optimal to run that consecutively with 3 rest days in between over the ULUL with 4 rest days.