Workout routine for impingement

roshselva

Which workout routine seems best for recovering and handling impingement? And what are your experiences with these routines ?

high frequency—> divides volume at best, but is it best for your connective tissue?

Fullbody —> gives at least 48 h rest to shoulders between workouts

Push/pull/legs —> gives 72-96 hours rest and you sort of use your shoulders each workouts

I personally have impingement issues for 7 months now. It seems to go away almost completely but after one bad workout it can come back and I have to start over for a month each time.

I am doing a full body workout 3 times a week now. With progressive mesocycles of 4 weeks followed by a deload week.

Every workout I do 1 compound exercise per muscle group for 3 to 4 sets of 15 reps. Only isolation exercises I do are for arms and calves

With a total weekly volume of 9 to 12 working sets per bodypart. I am thinking of a push/pull/legs, but I think that I am having too much rest in between workouts then..

I eat strict maintenance and ketogenic.

Thanks so much, I am in dilemma right now

@roshselva I'm not medically trained but Ive had multiple dislocations, which is slightly different but I've done this a few times.

I think you can structure your workouts how you like, the issue is your shoulder not your workout split.

I'd recommend seeing a physio if you can but they will give you an assessment then give different exercises to target your rotator cuff. You find different exercises online but they essentially, they are internal and external rotations and stability exercises.

You just need to work on these in addition to your workouts.
2 - 3 sets every workout, it's only 5+ extra minutes added to your workout. Eventually as you get your strength up you can do these every other or every third workout but don't stop doing them. I also really like Turkish Get Ups for shoulder health.

And then secondly, just look at what youre doing to re-injure your shoulder - is it benching or holding the barbell for back squats, check your form, maybe youre doing to much volume or weight.

Also watch this:

These two physios are pretty good also squat university and kneesovertwosguy.

Hope it helps

@taikamiya720 Thanks very much! I have watched the video's and will try these excercises.

ATG program from Kneewovertoesguy also works wonders.

I think maybe i just need to cut the load even more. and progress slowly and accept that this is going to take a year to fully heal ( from what i've read from others)

@roshselva I'm not a medical professional, so it's crucial to consult with a healthcare provider or a physical therapist for personalized advice on managing impingement issues. However, I can offer some general guidance on workout routines that may be suitable for individuals dealing with shoulder impingement.

General Guidelines:
Consult a Professional:

Before making any changes to your workout routine, consult with a physical therapist or healthcare professional to get personalized advice based on your specific condition.
Exercise Selection:

Avoid exercises that exacerbate shoulder pain. Focus on movements that don't put excessive stress on the shoulders.
Warm-Up:

Prioritize a thorough warm-up to increase blood flow to the shoulder area. Include dynamic stretches and mobility exercises.
Frequency and Volume:

Balancing frequency and volume is crucial. High frequency may not be suitable if it doesn't allow for sufficient recovery, while too much rest between sessions may impede progress.
Workout Options:
1. Full Body:
Pros:
Allows at least 48 hours of rest between workouts for each muscle group.
May help maintain overall fitness with a balanced approach.
Cons:
May not provide enough focus on specific muscle groups.
2. Push/Pull/Legs:
Pros:
Provides 72-96 hours of rest between workouts for specific muscle groups.
Allows for targeted training of push and pull muscles.
Cons:
Some exercises in push/pull routines may involve the shoulders, so careful exercise selection is crucial.
3. High Frequency:
Pros:
Allows for more frequent stimulation of muscles.
May help improve overall strength and endurance.
Cons:
Requires careful management to avoid overtraining.
May not provide sufficient rest for some individuals.
Recommendations:
Consider a Modified Push/Pull/Legs:

Customize the push/pull/legs routine to limit shoulder stress. For example, prioritize lower-intensity shoulder exercises and avoid overhead pressing if it causes pain.
Emphasize Mobility Work:

Include shoulder-specific mobility exercises and stretches in your warm-up and cooldown routines.
Progress Slowly:

Gradually increase the intensity and volume of your workouts. Avoid rapid progression to prevent overloading the shoulders.
Listen to Your Body:

If a particular exercise or movement causes discomfort or pain, modify or eliminate it. Pay attention to your body's signals.
Professional Guidance:

Consider seeking guidance from a physical therapist or experienced fitness professional who can provide exercises tailored to your condition.
Remember, everyone's body responds differently, and what works for one person may not work for another. Patience and consistency are key when dealing with injuries or chronic issues. Prioritize your health and well-being, and make adjustments to your routine as needed with the guidance of a healthcare professional.