Workout Routine

Hey I'm finally able to post in this sub reddit!

I've been interested in building muscle so I can build a little more self confidence but I don't know where to start. I've made my own workouts before but I'm not sure it will give results. Does anyone have some recommendations for someone who can rep comfortably with 15lb dumbbells?

My workouts look something like this:

Core:

20 leg lifts

30 sec of flutters

30/45 sec plank

Weights:

10x15lb bicep curl

10x15lb b. curl + shoulder lift (raise from shoulder over head?)

20x15lb dumbbell bench press

15x10lb b. curl

15x10lb b. curl + shoulder lift

Cardio:

2 mile run (I don't like running but I'll do it if it's recommended) - 8:30-9:00 min pace

I usually do 50 pushups at night daily

P.S Thank you in advance!

(Also I hope this doesn't count as self promotion)

@anthonyinalabama As a total beginner, you'll definitely see some results just starting, but-- is that optimal? Not really.. that's a loooot of bicep curls and no lower body! Biceps actually aren't that big of a muscle group, so much so that generally they're considered isolation work as a "bonus" at the end of your main workouts. You get more bang for your buck when you incorporate big movements that recruit a bunch of different muscles.

I'd recommend something more full body. The sidebar in r/bodyweightfitness has something that'll get you started (and you can use your db's for squats & hinge; and for now since I'm guessing you don't have a pull-up bar, you can replace those with db rows.. there should be lots of examples on YouTube). Otherwise, r/fitness has a db routine. As long as you do those exercises, your core gets worked along with those drills, though you can supplement with 2-3 sets of leg lifts or reverse crunches at the end if you specifically want to build the six-pack (which btw is the SMALLEST core muscle; to be clear, the main parts of your core are already getting worked as you stabilize & maintain good form in the main exercises, especially squats & deadlift/hinge)

@ayeesha The thing for me is that I'm a runner and I participate in sports that include a lot of footwork such as badminton, sprinting, and martial arts so I would like to think that I'm actually optimized in the lower body more than I am in the upper body. Think of me as an old tree with a strong trunk but super thin branches with no leaves during the summer. I'll still take into consideration the full body workout as I understand balance is a very important thing to have! I'm a college student so I do have access to equipment like bars and other equipment. Hehe the six pack is just something I've been interested in ( I mean what guy hasn't? ) for a while so I'm trying to do more work than some beginners would! Again thanks for the response and feedback! Much appreciated

P.S sorry for the late response. I've been doing school work non stop

Also I realize that what I said contradicts that I don't like running. Its just that I don't like running by myself. I joined teams like xCountry and track for the social aspect while still getting a good workout

@anthonyinalabama Circuit training is inferior to interval training for the purposes of strength goals.

There are six major movements:
  • Vertical pull (pull-ups/lat pull-downs)
  • Vertical push (overhead press)
  • Horizontal pull (rows)
  • Horizontal push (bench press/push-ups)
  • Anterior chain (squats)
  • Posterior chain (deadlifts)
You have way too much focus on bicep curls.

To gain muscle:

1) Follow a full body strength training program encompassing progressive overload on compound exercises

2) Aim for ~1g of protein per 1lb of bodyweight per day (source)

3) Try to get 9 hours of sleep per day (source)
Google "TDEE calculator" to estimate your daily caloric usage. Download a calorie tracker app and track your meals.

Focus on whole foods such as meat (red, white, fish), eggs, dairy, fruits, vegetables, beans, nuts, legumes, grains, etc. Prioritize high protein and high fiber. Avoid sugar and processed foods. For a more specific nutritional goal, try Dr. Greger's Daily Dozen Checklist.

A high protein diet aids in fat loss (source 1, source 2), and increased protein intake can beneficially affect recovery times (source) and reduce soreness (source).

Back