1 year weightloss and 2 month BWF progress

@greatseams The book mostly focuses on the 'glycemic index' of certain foods. This is an existing value that basically dictates how fast the carbs will be absorbed into your bloodstream. This is not only dependent on the type of carbs but also the presence of fiber etc. The index goes from 0-100, and generally lower is better.

As an example, Potatoes have a glycemic index of 78, whereas sweet potato has a value of 63. Bread has ~75 whereas oatmeal has ~50, etc.

According to the book eating these 'slow carbs' is key to stabilise blood sugar and insulin levels, which means less low-blood-sugar cravings or after-dinner-dips. So feel fuller and have more energy. It also helps battle diabetes and other cardiovascular problems.

@greatseams In general I eat a lot of oatmeal, buckwheat (in the form of pancakes), sweet potato, legumes, and fruit. All of which are have a low GI and make you feel very full. I find that most vegetables simply don't fill me up enough.

@niclas Have you found any of these away that are super easy to prepare? One thing I used to do was buy salad by the pound and put eggs, nuts, beans, etc but that's super expensive.

@greatseams Oh yeah I'm a slouch when it comes to cooking. Purely out of laziness I only eat 3 things as my breakfast and lunch:
  1. Buckwheat pancakes: 200g buckwheat flour, 4 eggs, 500 mL soymilk, pinch of salt, for 10 pancakes. Heat back up in the microwave and top with cheese + peanutbutter, brie + hummus + rocketsalad, ricotta + blueberries, etc.
  2. Oatmeal: 160g oatmeal whole flakes, 1L soymilk, 2 bananas. Cook in a big pan for 4-5 servings. Throw in a shitload of cocaopowder, cinnamon, and coconut shavings for taste. Heat back up in the microwave and throw in some frozen blueberries/raspberries/blackberries.
  3. Soy yoghurt (find a good one) with blue grapes and puffed spelt flakes
The first two I make at the beginning of the week which will last me 4 to 5 days.

@greatseams Just took a quick glance and I don't really see the point. It seems unnecessarily expensive, and my own home recipe has less Calories (140 vs their 180), much less carbs (15 vs their 37) and sugar (1.44 vs their 4), and only slightly less protein (7.23 vs their 8). Most of the taste will come from your toppings anyway.

Just make it yourself. making the mix takes me like 30 seconds.

@greatseams Didn't really do too much research into GI and GL values myself, I just trusted the conclusions and food recommendations made by the book.

Not sure what you mean by 'stopping point'? This particular diet change was never meant to be temporary. It has so many health benefits I don't ever plan to stop. I might snack a little more, or start eating more of it by bulking, but I'll always try to keep the basics the same and avoid sugars.

@edwinpaul It's a bit hard to tell, but I would say yes. Carrying 20kg less is going to make a difference. I also got new orthotics, and I'm supposed to stretch my feet with a night brace, but I kind of haven't started yet as it's really difficult to sleep with

@niclas Hey, I'm really interested in your diet - what were your go-to meals like? I'm working on improving mine at the moment and would love some advice on some easier, 'slow-carb' healthy dinners. I often get a bit lazy after work... Would love to hear more.

@stevendale See this response for breakfast/lunch ideas.

As far as dinner goes. I often ate whole grain variants of normal pasta or wraps recipes, using more sauce/filling and less pasta. But this was mostly out of laziness. Ideally I'd replace the carbs entirely.
Some recipes include:
  • chicken Stroganoff with 'cauliflower rice' instead of normal rice
  • chili with red lentils instead of more minced meat
  • red curry with sweet potato, carrots, and chickpeas. Don't add rice, just make a lot
  • garam masala with chicken, quinoa, and lentils
  • caprese with chicken and quinoa
  • tuna-broccoli quiche
Basically just try to replace any pasta/rice/potato with stuff like quinoa, lentils, cauliflower or broccoli rice, sweet potato, or just extra portion of vegetables or chicken.

I do cook everyday together with a friend. If I had to cook for just myself I'd probably mealprep for 2-3 days. But most of these recipes take about 30 minutes to make. Whenever I didn't have time I would eat a frozen pizza with spinach/cauliflower/beetroot base. I don't know if you have they but they sell them here at the supermarket.