150 g protein??

herself

hey everyone! i have only been 100% vegan for about 2 weeks now. i recently signed up with a personal trainer who focuses on macros & she gave me my goals today which are Calories 1590 / 150g- protein / 135g- carbs / 50g- fat. i’m 5’ 7’’ and weigh 200 pounds. this is a 30 day shred/cutting program that i signed up for.

it seems pretty impossible to get 150 grams of protein a day. any recommendations?? or should i just ask for my money back hahah....

@herself I use pea protein powder to supplement. Tofu, beans, and lentils are easy to digest. Since going vegan, I'm actually hungry every few hours now.

@herself With that low of a calorie goal it’ll be tough. Seitan, quorn foods have been great to me. Chia seeds are a good protein: fat combo and ofc quinoa is a solid protein : carb source... I’d definitely mix some beans in there and a solid vegan protein. Best of luck!

@vanjonti i make my own seitan and after a bit of trial and error i can easily hit 150g protein while still managing my deficit (below 1500kcal)

@herself 150 is going to be a lot for anyone. I eat close to that and rely heavily on tofu, protein shakes, and beans... pretty much in that order. I don’t really care for seitan, but it’s a great option if you like it.

You could also try talking to your trainer and explain that 150 is difficult. Ask if they can lower it and swap for carbs or fats to ease you into it. Drop down to say 130 and add back 5 grams a week until you are more used to it?

@herself Personal trainers don't have education on diet really.

150g protein that's hilarious. I'm 6'1 200lbs and I eat like 90-120g

Personally I'd say limit protein to 80g a day, fat to 40g a day and eat the rest in carbs - you'll lose weight without being hungry and you'll have energy

@herself Seitan, textured soy (TVP), low fat tofu, vegan protein powder, beans, lentils etc..
Make sure you still eat enough greens to keep it balanced.
Many vegetables have a surprisingly high amount of protein per 100 calories, but I don't know if you can eat pounds of salad, broccoli etc.

I know that wasn't your question but like others have mentioned: maybe you don't need that much protein during cutting, as I understand it you want to maintain your muscle volume, not build or up atm.

@herself I'm not sure how much of those 200 pounds are muscle, but that's going to be the deciding factor. Unless you are already very lean, that seems like a lot to me. I'm 170 pounds and I have plenty with 135g of protein while eating more calories. If you are just starting out your training, just ease yourself into it, you likely don't need that much protein yet anyway. The calories are gonna be what makes you lose weight.

@kambroso OP weighs 200 pounds and is probably physically active, I'm not saying they need 150g of protein, but 50 would not be enough.
Protein also keeps you satiated which can really help when cutting.

@laoshij I'm not ignoring that, in fact I think carbs, especially from whole food sources are the backbone of a healthy diet.
It wasn't my intention to promote a low carb lifestyle.

But from my own experience as someone who just recently transitioned to veganism it's annoying to hear "you don't need that much protein!" when the question was "How do I get x grams of protein.". This creates the impression that vegans think new vegans or non-vegans are incapable of knowing about their personal protein needs.

@laoshij Some might be, but I find it condescending to simply assume that. Especially when you don't even know their weight and how physically active they are. (this doesn't apply in this thread, but in many others).

@mark7 I thought I needed a bunch of excess protein coming from a leangains attitude. It led to me getting low stomach acid, SIBO, and severe reactions to protein powders.

Carbs are protein sparing. If you're eating a low carb diet which is less effective, yeah you might need more protein.