My sample meal plan: 150+g of protein and <1,900 kCal. Great food, easily meal planned

@dawn16 Do you really notice a difference when you track your macros? I'm still kinda 50/50 about it. I've been tracking my macros 35 days. I'm not sure what to look for though. I've noticed I have more energy, but that's about it. I've also lost 5lbs.

@blognhadep2017 Macro tracking is important on a cutting diet and also important in a vegan diet. It ensures that I make healthy food choices and that I receive the right nutrition. Honestly track them for a month find something that works and then just keep the same general lifestyle.

@blognhadep2017 Nice. Thanks for sharing this.

How consistent are you with this plan? Do you ever miss a day? What is your rest/maintenance day?

I struggle with getting my daily recommended protein intake. I go to the gym 4 times a week and I just started doing jiu jitsu on my days off.

For example, yesterday I only got 36g of protein. It's hard to do it without taking a protein supplement (protein powder).

I'd love to do it all natural.

@tampachristian
For example, yesterday I only got 36g of protein. It's hard to do it without taking a protein supplement (protein powder).

Are you sure? Do you log everything or just count the "protein-rich foods"? There's protein in everything.

I mean, even if you were to only drink 2000 calories of orange juice a day (just checked mine in the fridge 100ml contains 44 cal and 0.7g protein), you'd still end up with 32g protein. Hell, 2000 calories of nonalcoholic beer comes at 60g protein. 2000 calories of ketchup (100ml contains 110 cal and 2.2g protein) bring you 40g protein. Okay at this point I'm just checking random stuff in my fridge and calculating how much protein you'd get by only eating that. I'll stop. OKAY JUST ONE MORE! Potato fucking chips. Basically nothing except pure oil/sugar is lower in protein than potato chips. 25g contain 120 cal and 1.7g protein. Eating 2000 calories of potato chips would STILL bring you 28.3g protein.

The point is, even these foods bring you significant protein. I find it extremely hard to believe that you'd only get barely 8 grams more by eating a balanced diet than by munching on potato chips all day, unless you are restricting calories to under 1200 or something like that.

Okay, I'll share my "cheat code" with you. What I find great is protein bread. I get it at the health food store. It's bread with a lot of gluten (basically seitan in bread form). I eat toast with margarine for breakfast and still get over 20g protein. FROM TOAST!

@tampachristian I'm pretty consistent with it during the week with the occasional forgetting to drink a 2nd protein shake or eat my second serving of seitan, mostly because it is easy and cheap. Weekends not so much it depends on how much social activities I do. Your choice to do protein powder or not is entirely up to you, I wouldn't consider it not all natural, its just blended up plant protein. Try adding seitan/tofu/lentils to your diet. Thats a great way to get a lot of protein easily.

My rest/maintenance day is just that I don't go to the gym and lift weights or do anything. Rest is very important to muscle recovery. I don't do much cardio either, mostly weight lifting. Occasionally I'll go for a run or play basketball during my rest days. But then I feel like I'm stealing from leg day.

@blognhadep2017 I second the idea that protein powder should be considered "all natural". I mix a glass of pea protein powder, soy milk and chia seeds and get 37 grams of protein in the single serving.