(18M, 5’10, 152lb) 8 month progress

@jayphilip Awesome progress bro. But yeah you ain't gonna progress much more unless you change things up. Firstly get yourself a copy of Overcominggravity it will go over periodisation and proper exercise technique and progressions. Secondly cut out the useless exercises. Diamond pushups, pushups etc. All too easy and a waste of time.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19l4tVfdTJLheLMwZBYqcw1oeEBPRh8mxngqrCz2YnVg/htmlview

Look at this for reference

Stick to 3 pushing and 3 pulling. Good exercises for pushing are:

PPPUs with legs elevated to shoulder height

Dips, weighted or ring dips progressing to having rings turned out 90 degrees for the whole way up and down. An RTO 90 deg dip will be roughly a 2x bw dip or, in my experience, a 2x bw bench (160kg if you weigh 80kg).

HSPU progressions or barbell overhead press

Good pulling:

Front lever rows

Back lever into Back lever pullouts

Weighted pull-ups into one arm chinups

The legs stuff is total waste imo. Most guys don't have what I would consider decently muscular legs until they can squat 140kg ass to grass high bar - even then it's not until 180kg that you're big man on campus level - or if you're Toshiki Yamamoto you haven't reached full yoke until you're repping 300kg haha
. You can see how much load that is on the body in order to get yoked legs - unweighted squats is just endurance work which won't build much size or strength. So try your best to get a barbell and work up to a 160kg squat and a 200kg deadlift if you want proper leg development.

Increase rest times up to 3 mins. Get on a full body 3x a week program. Aim to bulk and cut to a total of around 5kg LBM per year. You'll probably be able to get to a lean 88kg within the next 5 years

@jdmhadto Amazing info thank you very much. I have been thinking of revamping my routine, I’ll take this into great consideration!!

I definitely see what you mean regarding legs. It is wayyyy too easy and I try my best to make it weighted. Sometimes I’ll carry my brother when I do them. Barbells are out of the question for now, do you have any other recommendations?

I’m mostly trying for plyometrics. I want strong legs that can sprint fast and jump high. Size is nice.

@jayphilip I've never seen a calisthenics guy with big legs or with a strong squat despite there being stuff like sissy squats and pistols. It's annoying I know. I can't do much for you there I'm afraid.

According to most coaches and the American National Strength and Sonditioning Association plyometrics aren't worth doing until you can squat 2x your bodyweight to full depth since they are demonstration of power. Power is strength applied over time. Plyometrics work your ability to suddenly output your strength but they don't build much strength themselves. So you need a foundation of strength to do them. For that reason if you want to be the fastest sprinter and jumper you can be you gotta be squatting 2-2.5x body weight.

Best bet for now would be sprinting. You can get some decent(ish) muscle gain and it will increase you strength somewhat. That and work on your back strength so when you have a barbell/gym membership your legs will be the only weak link.

Hope that helps

@jdmhadto I see. When I have a car I’ll be able to regularly attend a gym, after that things will be okay & I’ll have more equipment to use.

Do you suppose I can still train calisthenics skills with a lifting routine? I’d like to still be able to achieve a planche/front lever, I’m worried it will be a limiting factor

@jayphilip Awesome bro. You can def get some decent size before it limits you. And you can favour low reps to focus on strength over size.

I could Planche pushup before I switched to olympic style weightlifting and now I just have adv tuck planche since my legs are now my largest muscles. So I would be lying if I said it won’t affect you. However, the gains will be all the better at lower progressions since you have to move more body weight. I do calisthenics stuff as upper body accessories to my weightlifting. The Chinese team do weighted pushups, dips and hspu too. The movements are really good for total body strength regardless. I’m pretty close to full front lever now. I’ve heard Steven Low say most people should be able to hit straddle planche despite having large legs. Think about it this way though. Yuri Vlasov was a Russian weightlifter over 110kg of mostly muscle. He could do one arm chinups. Think about how much more strength that demonstrates than a 50kg cali guy doing a one arm chinup. Just food for thought but yeah be careful with leg growth if you really want the full planche. Iron cross, full front lever, back lever, v sit, hspu are all doable jo matter how big you are