24.3: Observations after a morning in the gym

buckswordbearer

Here's what we've seen - the two big ideas.
  1. This workout follows the 4-S Rule: Second Segment Separates Scores. Every completed rep in Part 2 will move you up the leaderboard. The old saying "you can't win the workout in the first part, you can only lose it" applies explicitly to this workout
  2. Any workout with a mandatory rest is a trap. That 1:00 rest will be the fastest minute of your week; any rest and recovery is gone by the end of the first set of heavy thrusters.
To avoid the trap and maximize your score, pace the first half well below your capacity. Stay far away from failure. Stay in another area code from failure. It doesn't really matter how fast you finish the first segment; trade away 60 seconds in the first segment if you need to, to gain extra reps in the second. 6-4 is a great split. 4-3-3 is great. 4-3-1-1-1 was effective for a lot of athletes. Take breaks during your breaks. Save your grip; you'll need it in part 2.

Second part is the trap. Don't come out of the 1:00 rest and race through 7 heavy thrusters. Unless you're a very advanced athlete, that strategy will put you on your rear end, real quick. Break them up, 4-3 is nice if you can manage.

The Bar MU will turn grippy soon (if you're an OK athlete) or late (if you're excellent) but they will turn grippy. Break them up too, because grip doesn't come back when it goes...at least not during the workout. Keep the heavy thrusters and BMU in small sets the whole time.

Me? This is anti-wheelhouse for me. 6' 3" with loooong arms. But 24.2 giveth, and 24.3 taketh away. I finished it, but barely. Good luck out there.

@buckswordbearer Thanks Matt! In a thread about 24.2, you we're explaining a concept about muscle fibres cycling and how even just dropping the bar allows them to recover. Can you explain more about that, maybe in the context of splitting up reps on the pullup bar? I love learning about the physiology from you. TY

@jal11180 I'll give it a shot.

Same principles always apply to capacity. Phosphocreatine depletion, buildup of glycolytic byproducts...these are showstoppers. As always, breaks slow down these processes, though the importance / frequency / duration of a break depends on the fibers recruited.

An additional issue for gymnastics, however, is movement economy.

Endurance athletes prioritize running economy. The key ideas are minimizing wasted energy and maximizing energy return from each stride. In short, better running form produces better running economy within genetic parameters like leg length and muscle fiber apportionment. (Yes, runners, I know there is more to it)

Running economy generalizes to movement economy. Movement economy in CrossFit means (a) using as many muscles as possible to accomplish a task and (b) every recruited muscle contributes. This "spreads the load" and delays fatigue. Two examples of high movement economy:
  1. Double Unders. When an inexperienced athlete does them, they use their arms, shoulders, and wrists. This is poor movement economy; muscles are working but not helping (the rope doesn't turn faster) which means fatigue happens sooner. Advanced athletes flick their wrists and use way less energy to do the same work. That's good movement economy.
  2. Butterfly pullups. The reason most competitors can do 50 butterfly pullups, but probably only 15-20 strict, is because butterfly pullups bring more muscle fibers to the task. This is good movement economy - lots of muscles helping means more work gets done faster.
Butterfly pullups also allow for use of momentum; you just drop into the next one, arch at the bottom, push into the bar and up you go. Maintaining high movement economy on CTB is much harder. Your chest has to make contact with the bar, and you still need to preserve downward momentum into an arch to smoothly transition into the next rep. Slight imprecisions can mess stuff up. The common errors are:
  • Chest doesn't come high enough and you have to correct with a last minute pull
  • You hit the bar too hard and it redirects you
In either case, you've just wrecked your movement economy because you've lost momentum. You now have to get back into position while hanging from the bar. This costs lots of energy because you're not using momentum and you're not in an arch at the bottom; what usually happens is a cascade of lousy reps until you drop.

You're overloading your pulling muscles, the exact muscles that the "butterfly" is supposed to take the load off of. It's actually worse than strict, in energy terms. It's like doing a strict pullup while your lower body is moving all over the place. (Try it! Do strict pullups while swinging and rotating) In simple terms, you're in "negative movement economy" - you're doing more work with fewer muscles.

If you continue and do successive bad reps, you fall into fatigue hell and you're not getting out. When you lose your "smoothness" on CTB, get off the bar. Better yet, get off the bar before it goes wrong.

TLDR movement economy is how you win at CF Gymnastics, and maintaining movement economy on CTB Pullups is hard. One might argue that movement economy is downstream from virtuosity.

Hope that makes sense. It's late and I'm tired.

One more consideration:

This study concludes that fatigue degrades motor learning as well as performance, because it causes maladaptive memory formation. The specific maladaptation pertains to miscalculations of force requirements, which is exactly the kind of thing that can wreck CTB Pullups.

https://elifesciences.org/articles/40578.pdf

Keep in mind this paper is about learning, not performance. But fatigue causes all sorts of compensatory movement patterns, which just causes more fatigue (and also impedes learning). And I suspect that the miscalculation of force happens almost instantly.

Break early, break often.

@buckswordbearer Thank you for the awesome expansions. They help me, really.

As a 54F with very limited upper body strength, esp. lats ( my name should give my sports history away): Can I ask what I can work on the next months to increase my chances on my first ever jumping pull-up/CTB? I really would like to do bar work, but my arms just do not get me higher than 15 cm currently (after 28 CF months, 2x/wk)
It took me a year of CF before my first kip. Grip strength is awful ( I lose it after 3 kips). Even a jumping CTB is not possible for me. I like bar work, how it feels in my body. But it is not easy seeing everybody doing it and progressing.
Any tips appreciated.

@berthaintan Been traveling this CrossFit world for 15 years, managed to collect just about every stamp in my passport. Regionals, Games, WZA, TFX, Box Owner, L2, done it all at one time or another.

I rarely hit home runs anymore, but I can hit every pitch they throw. :)

@daphne1 I did singles as well. 135 is too heavy for me to do anything but singles on the thrusters. I also figured singles would give me a little extra rest before doing the thrusters again, and maintain getting through each set of those using a 6-4 scheme. My goals was to make it to the BMU. I was a bit shocked how easy they felt by the time I got there. I exceeded my expectations by getting a few more thrusters in on the 2nd set.

@lolasrobot That was my thought process as well. The weight of thrusters weren't an issue. But I've been doing cf over 10 years, so I knew this would get "grippy" for me. I broke the thrusters 7 and 3 for the 10s and 5 and 2 in the 7s. Not out of need but just to save a little for the c2b and bmu.. too many people worry about the tie break.. the tie break is a trap, the real tie break is each extra rep you get in the second workout

@buckswordbearer I may have a Guinness record on world's shortest arms, so this is right up my alley. Exactly the mindset that gets you screwed by going unbroken for the first 100 reps.

This was precisely what I needed to read. Stay far from failure until you feel you can do the last stretch to the finish line unbroken.

How did you break everything up, and were you happy with that strategy?

@abeck0486 Yes - the "I have short arms, I am all set" can be a trap just like the "I'll just rest during the 1:00" can be a trap. :)

I did the 95 thrusters 6/4 and the CTB 4/3/3. I took deliberate pauses every time. This wasn't that bad.

I did the 135 thrusters 4/3 and 3/2/2. BMU was 3/2/2 and then 2/2/2/1. 135 is heavy. I'm on the strong side but it's heavy.

Was I happy with it? I'm glad they kept the CTB at 10 rather than one of those 3-6-9 deals or the 10-12-14 etc from 14.2 / 15.2.

@buckswordbearer What was you tie break time? I intentionally went really really slow and was 7:00 this evening, if I did it again I’d make it even longer. The second part kicked me in the nuts. I got through 3 rounds, but I feel like it’s within my abilities to get through 4.

@buckswordbearer Broke it up early 6/4 Thrusters, 4/3/3 C2B. Heart rate still so jacked had to rest so long during each break. Shocked me how hard the workout hit me. I could do all the movements no worries, just couldn't keep the heat rate at a sustainable rate. Only got time to do 1 BMU, had the capacity to do a lot more, just no time.

@buckswordbearer I wish I didn’t have chicken legs. I say it every year and I actually tried to do something about it this year. Back squat went from 335 to 365. I’m a 5’9” 165 pound guy who is good on the rig. Split both movements up 6-4 on the first part and finished 6:01. Went 4-3 on the second part and the thrusters added up quick. I got done with the thrusters in the 4th round at 14:00 and was able to hit an unbroken set of 7 BMU to finish the 4th round at 14:45 and got 2 thrusters on the 5th round.

Back