3-Day Beginner Single Kettlebell + Bodyweight Workout - Thoughts?

gracemercy

Hi everyone,

I'm new to fitness and I created a 6-week program for myself, with 2 workout days and 1 rest day in between. This program includes both kettlebell and bodyweight exercises. I would like to get your feedback and advice.

Day 1: Upper Body
  • Overhead Press 3 sets x 12 reps
  • Single Arm Row 3 sets x 12 reps (each arm)
  • Upright Row 3 sets x 12 reps
  • Kettlebell Shrug 3 sets x 12 reps
  • Kettlebell Lying Floor Press 3 sets x 12 reps
  • Dive Bomber Push-Up 3 sets x 8 reps
  • Kettlebell Skullcrushers 3 sets x 12 reps
  • Kettlebell Overhead Extensions 3 sets x 10 reps
  • Kettlebell Curls 3 sets x 12 reps
Day 2: Lower Body + Abs
  • Sumo Squat 5 sets x 6 reps
  • Alternating Reverse Lunges 4 sets x 8 reps (each leg)
  • Hip Bridges 3 sets x 10 reps
  • Straight Legged Deadlift 3 sets x 12 reps
  • Goblet Squat 3 sets x 15 reps
  • Calf Raises 3 sets x 15 reps

---------------------------------------
  • Lying Leg Raise 30 seconds
  • Crunches 30 seconds
  • Oblique Crunch 30 seconds (each side)
  • Flutter Kicks 30 seconds
  • Explosive Sit-Up 30 seconds
  • Supermans 30 seconds
  • Forearm Plank 30 seconds
  • Reverse Crunches 30 seconds
  • Dead Bug 30 seconds
  • Alternating Bicycle 30 seconds
  • Russian Twists 30 seconds
Notes:
  • You can repeat the abs exercises on Day 2 for 3 rounds. Take a 30-second rest between each round.
No matter which option you choose, make sure the program is right for you. Listen to your body and don't hesitate to make changes to the program as needed.

I would appreciate your feedback on the following:
  • Is this program suitable for beginners?
  • Do you have any suggestions for changing or adding exercises?
  • How can I improve my form?
Thank you!

@gracemercy Not to be a hater, but . . .

Looks like 2 workouts, not 6 weeks of programming. The workouts seem like a random assortment of exercise/set/rep combinations. I don’t see a single exercise that uses a kettlebell for a kettlebell-specific exercise. No point owning a kettlebell for these exercises.

Check the r/bodyweightfitness sub for bodyweight programming and start with something easy like Simple and Sinister to get your kettlebell programming started.

@katrinaaa Actually, I made such a program because I only had kettlebells and resistance bands. I do both workouts in turn, with a day break in between. I know the basic movements of kettlebell. Do you have any recommendations for a solid program for gaining muscle?

@gracemercy Learning the fundamental movements is key to getting the most out of kettlebell and bodyweight. The compound movements in both disciplines are what will get the most bang for your buck.

Pavel's Simple and Sinister is a solid entry point for kettlebells. Master the swing and controlled overhead lifting via Turkish Get-Up so you can move on to the real meat and potatoes of kettlebell lifting. These movements and the programming in S&S will get you strong and build muscle for a beginner.

r/bodyweightfitness has beginner programs in their Wiki. Again, mastering the essential movements is key to getting the most benefit.

Kettlebell is full body. So is bodyweight. If you mix the two modalities, keep volume low at the beginning. Many KB lifters find getting sufficient pulls and horizontal pressing with kettlebells to be challenging. Many kettlebell athletes supplement with bodyweight exercises like pull-ups and push-ups as a result.

Try these beginner routines at low volume on alternating days with rest in between and you'll see what overlapping exercises you need to eliminate after a few weeks.

Also note, if your goal is gaining muscle, then the rep ranges and number of reps per muscle group for the workouts you created are a bit high and are drifting into the endurance/conditioning range.

@gracemercy Hey, if you dont mind me asking.

Do you have many different kettlebells? A shoulder press is easier than curl for example.

After 6 weeks, then what? A basic program should have some type of logical progression. I E, adding more weight or more reps.

For example, shoulder press:
Week 1 3x12 at 10kg
Week 2 3x10 at 12 kg
Week 3 3x8 at 16kg
...or something.

@gracemercy Beginners should not make their own programs if they just want to get going. Making your own program is educational though, but priorities should be considered.

It looks like a pretty regular kind of gym program. You don't take advantage of any lifts that the kettlebells are really good at, like swings etc.

You don't seem to have put much thought in what muscles the lifts actually use since you have presses and then floor press, pushups, skullcrushers and triceps extensions... Your triceps will be fried.

@gracemercy It’s basically a bodybuilding style workout using kettlebell.

You’ll get flashed on this sub because people like to use kettlebell exercises.
Example the lying kettlebell get bad rap but there is nothing wrong with it.

No one talk about kb curls here.

You’ll get flamed for not incorporating the kettlebell swing.

Take a look at chandler mancher (spelling) on YouTube. The guy loves to use kettlebell with traditional body building moves. He has sone beginner programs

In terms of selection of exercises you might have a bit too many to start with. For a upper try vertical push, horizontal push, horizontal pull, bicep, tricep. Add some shrugs too if you want.

The exercises that kb shines are: kb swing, kb goblet squat, kb clean, kb double front squat, kb press and snatch.

As Dan John said if you are trying to do hypertrophic the kb snatch may not be the optimal exercise.

Good luck. Don’t get discouraged by the purist on this sub