36(f) looking to lose weight just starting to work out

rynno

36(f) currently overweight for all the reasons and they’re all mostly my fault. Anyways, just finally found the motivation to get up and out to walk/jog in the mornings. I’ve currently done 1.5 miles daily half walk/half run and in 5 days time I’ve managed to shave 2 min off. It isn’t much but it’s something. I know I could be doing more as far as diet and exercise but I don’t know what. I’d genuinely like to lose 50lbs but idk how realistic that is without professional help. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

@strivingservant Yea I went into this with the ‘play the long game’ mentality. I’d like for this to stick and be a lifestyle change rather than a quick fad diet gain the weight back in 5 months situation, because I’ve been there and it’s depressing.

@rynno Let me preface this with saying I’m in no way sponsored lol! I use something called MyNetDiary (IOS app) to track my macros. You can set a goal weight and the amount of weight you want to lose and it will give you a weight plan with a daily calorie budget. It really helped me gain an insight in how much extra I was taking in and also motivates me to exercise because that gets added to your daily budget (an option in the settings). I weigh in weekly to track my progress. The only downside is that you have to input what you ate for breakfast/lunch/dinner/snacks, but it has a searchable database with a lot already in it. I love it so much that after a while I got a one time offer for a discount on a year of premium it instantly took it. It just gives some neat extra insights and an auto pilot feature for your calorie budget so it auto adjusts the deficit according to how close you are to your goal weight.

@rynno For starters, it’s great you found motivation to exercise. For diet, as a start, try cutting out processed and fried food. Opt to drink more water instead of sugary drinks. You can also try researching a meal plan to be more mindful with what you eat. It’ll take time to adjust, but it’s a start. Then research whether a gym is feasible for you or you can sign up and try other fitness classes to see what peaks your interest. Yoga, boxing, Muay Thai, jump rope, cycling, ocr, rowing etc. Its never too late to try a new sport and be active. There are also free follow along workout videos on You Tube you can try.

@marieah Thank you so much for this! I’ve definitely become more mindful of what I’m putting in my mouth & when. I’ve cut pop already and managed to drink a gallon of water every day for 5 days. I know these things don’t happen over night. I’m so happy I’ve found the motivation to change I just need to find ways to keep the momentum and drive. I appreciate you taking the time to respond..

@rynno Welcome. Experienced something similar. Just know you can do it and stay consistent. 👍🏻 stay focused on yourself and be mindful that your fitness journey is different from everyone else. Best of luck!

@rynno Thanks for posting! I'm 30f, my last pregnancy really highlighted how little I've done for my body over the last few years. I need to get up and moving more!

@nainais Well I have no excuse for let myself get to this point other than laziness and love of food, but I definitely want to look and feel good in my own skin again. I wish you the best of luck in your journey.

@rynno I was in a similar boat. I used Fitness Culture app. It teaches you every single workout and plans one out for you. Highly suggest.

@rynno You can absolutely lose 50 lbs on your own (with help from the internet). Upping your daily activity is a great start. Most people recommend shooting for about 10,000 steps a day. You can get a cheap activity tracker watch to help you keep track.

The big part of losing weight is diet. Like the other comment said, just starting to be aware of what you eat and doing your best to eat more whole food than processed food is a good start.

To really lose the weight though, you will need to get into a calorie deficit, which is a process. For now I’d just work on building consistency with your activity and becoming more aware and conscious of your eating. Then when you’re ready to take the next step, check out r/fitness for their guide on calorie deficit or ask here.

@kaiisbae I did get a fitness tracker & its helped motive me a lot as well. As far as trying to beat the previous days numbers. This information has been so helpful! Just know I’m writing all this advice in a food/weight loss journal. I am trying all the the things to keep me accountable.