37 y/or male feeling dejected and hopeless following shoulder injury. Any feedback/help would be appreciated

fausto1973

Nearly a year ago, I decided to get back into weightlifting (and regular exercise more generally) after a long time off. I've made excellent progress, and the benefits have been wonderful: weight loss, muscle development, aesthetic improvements to my physique, and significant improvements to my mental health (e.g. reduced stress, improved mood, etc.). It's just been awesome.

But approximately one month ago, I started feeling some serious pain in my right shoulder. Not exactly sure what caused it --- might have been due to overextending on a pushing exercise (e.g. dumbbell press), but it could have also resulted from weightlifting and cumulative effects of ineffective movements in everyday living (e.g. holding my daughters a certain way, reaching for things, sleeping the wrong way, etc.). I dunno.

Anyway, like any other dumbass-tough-guy, I shrugged off the symptoms and just kept training, doing nothing about it except complaining that prevented me from lifting at my best. Then, predictably, things just got worse and worse, to the point where I could barely complete any exercise connected to the chest or shoulders (except for dips and tricep extensions), and even holding the bar for a back squat became unbearable, due to the extension required.

Eventually, I made an appointment with family doctor, who recommended that I see a physiotherapist. He confirmed my doctor's suspicion: looks like it's a rotator cuff impingement in the supraspinatus. It's been about 3 weeks, and while I'm seeing *some* improvements, it's been up and down. He's been doing things like deep tissue release, cupping, etc. and having me complete daily exercises to strengthen my rhomboids, rear delts, and lats, as well as stretches to open up the chest and shoulders. I've also had a few massage therapy sessions, which have helped a little bit, but not much. I've also spent the past 1.5 weeks doing no heavy weight lifting whatsoever, not even for parts of he body unaffected by the shoulder injury. (I don't want to train only some parts of my body since that might cause imbalances etc.) In the meantime, I've doing moderate yoga and cardio every day (in addition to my prescribed physio exercises), but not much else other than that. I've also been maintaining a good diet overall, but I've noticed myself slipping, mainly due to the effects on my mental health.

Anyway, this has been affecting me a lot more than I thought it would. It's bad enough that I feel demoralized, sad, and pretty much hopeless... I'm really worried that I won't be able to re-establish a regular weightlifting program again. (To say nothing of the losses in the gains I've made over the past year...) And it's not just the physical side of things. It's the impact that it's had on my mental health. I'm already finding myself getting more easily frustrated and destabilized by things that I've been handling well when I was weightlifting regularly. I also like this is a 'first world problem' --- so I feel guilty about how I feel too. I mean, I know all personal issues are valid from their own vantage point, but mine seem insignificant in comparison to the some of things I read about on this subreddit.

Any thoughts/feedback would be appreciated. Thanks y'all.

@fausto1973 Had the same issue more or less (though no physical therapy), three years ago. So bad I couldn't lift my arm above my navel height.

Basically you will need 6-8 weeks minimum to heal, and more likely a full year to be pain free.

Your ability to stay pain free will hinge on making corrections and most likely fixing your rounded posture and getting scapular retraction.

So yes, you will get there someday but it will be a long time, unless you can get your shoulders back.

The biggest lesson is listening to your body and avoiding excercises you can't do. You need a range of motion to be comfortable unweighted, hands only.

I benched 110 Friday. But I still avoid overhead presses and raises and focus on pull rather than push.

Three years ago I couldn't open a door. Seatbelts hurt.

I could have restarted sooner but life kinda got in the way and reinjury is a justified hangup.

@bso66 Thanks very much for the feedback.

"Basically you will need 6-8 weeks minimum to heal, and more likely a full year to be pain free." Agree 100%, and it's been the hardest part for me to accept. I feel like I'm expecting positive results within an unrealistic timeframe. I need to stop myself from pushing (literally and figuratively lol) in order to avoid aggravating it.

@fausto1973 I am you but 6 months ahead of where you're at. We had the exact same injury including the pain with my shoulder up and back like when you're holding the bar doing squats. Same diagnosis as yours with a deltoid tear as well.

I went to a Sports Dr who sent me to a Physical Therapist where I did exactly what you described they're doing with you. I stopped lifting completely for about 1 month besides a few negatives to help with recovery. I started to add things back and eventually stopped going to PT.

Your post is almost freaky to me, the way it matches what happened to me and also the way you're describing how you're feeling as a result. Just stick to the plan and try to view it as part of the process instead of a diversion. Do you know who David Goggins is? He was a leader in the Moab 250 and had to go to the hospital for dehydration, iirc, and couldn't complete the race. This was after he mistakenly took the wrong turn and went 12 miles in the wrong direction which is somewhat easy to do apparently. This added 24 miles to his journey but all of this didnt stop him. When he checked out of the hospital, he went back and finished the course even though they'd all packed up and left already. That's some inspring shit and it made me realize I'm working out for my brain and the benefits to the body are a bonus.

Now my shoulder feels awesome. My OHP is still working it's way back but everything else is on track or better. As a beginner to lifting, I finally decided to switch to 5/3/1 and it's going great. I feel stronger mentally and more self confident about my ability to stay on track now that I've conquered a significant hurdle.

You've got this dude. Stay focused on cardio, other lifts, and especially your diet. That's 100% what I'd tell the past version of myself that was eating Taco Bell and packed on 5 lbs of fat while my shoulder was recovering. Hmu if you have more specific questions about therapies or stretches I was doing. Cheers!

@markcmusic Wow, this really resonated with me. I'm genuinely grateful for everything you wrote. I'm also hugely inspired by stories like Goggins', and while I know it intellectually (and I'm able to preach it pretty convincingly to others), I've been having a hard time accepting it in my heart. As I wrote to /@bso66, the worst part has been truly accepting the injury for what it is rather being denying it or being angry and sad about it. And the biggest part of acceptance for an injury is allowing it time to heal. It's the only way I'll recover properly and return to an optimal level of functioning --- even if I don't ever get back to full strength. I'll definitely follow your advice and maintain other parts of my healthy lifestyle in the meantime --- whatever I can do, even if it doesn't involve weightlifting.

Thanks for the offer re: therapies/stretches. I've been doing a bunch of things, but I'd love to hear about anything that worked for you! Feel free to post them right here (in case anyone else might benefit from them).

@fausto1973 Don’t feel dejected, it’s just going to take time.

I had a similar experience. Went home after lifting one day, right shoulder started to feel bad, not sure from what exactly but that shoulder had been compromised several years before from a hockey injury.

It got progressively worse over the day to where I couldn’t lift it above my head. Decided to rest it completely for a few months (bad idea), got to the point where I couldn’t internally rotate it at all and had terrible range of motion. I was certain I would need surgery.

Saw an amazing PT, worked with her for probably two months. It was very painful but she got me 95% back to normal, and now (maybe a year later), it’s back to normal completely.

Shoulders have ratty tissue and poor blood flow so it is going to go slower than you want, but it will go. Keep working it very lightly and frequently to keep up your range of motion but don’t try and Rambo it.

@mmarco Thanks for the feedback --- giving it time is definitely the right answer (more than anything else I've been doing for it, e.g. PT, stretches, etc.), and it's been the hardest part to accept. But I'm working on it.

@fausto1973 Beyond the realistic time needed to heal - 6 weeks at least, you might want to work on some stretching and acupuncture as well. They’re both low risk, easy ways to give your body some extra help. Be patient this takes time.

And I’ve had your exact injury twice. Yup it sucks but just be patient and give yourself some time. Lots of other stuff you can work on. :)

@angelbaby777 Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. Definitely gonna give it time... even if it sucks. Also going to look into acupuncture.

PS. "I’ve had your exact injury twice." Damn! Shit, I really hope this doesn't come back again lol

@fausto1973 I had a hip impingement that made squatting very painful. A pt ripped it out of the joint and I hobbled around for a while. In the case of impingements, once it's healed, it can be as simple as changing your positioning when doing a lift. Not everyone's joints are angled the same, so one size fits all positioning is bad advice. A good PT can help find where your joints function optimally. In the case of my squats, my right foot I angle slightly out now, and have avoided future impingements.

I also had a grade 5 AC joint separation from an accident and had to have surgery on my shoulder. I was in a sling for a while and couldn't lift like I used to. It was depressing. I worked around that by going to a gym with machines and used the machines to work around my injury and still get a good workout, as shoulder surgery meant I couldn't use a bar for any of my usual exercises for a long time.

Let it heal, and work around it. Even working one side, there's evidence it still helps the side not being directly worked. Don't worry about imbalances. It won't be as bad as you think, and you can catch that back up later.

Also, as someone that has had to restart gains a few times, it WILL come back. Working out the rest is better than nothing, and I have a feeling you'll be happier doing something.

Lastly, it's normal to compare your experience to others, but that does not mean you don't feel what you feel. Don't invalidate your own feelings, but acknowledge them and then figure out what you can do while you recover, and what will help you feel better mentally while that's happening.

Demoralizing, yes, but it is not the end, just a speedbump in the road of life.

@dawn16
Lastly, it's normal to compare your experience to others, but that does not mean you don't feel what you feel. Don't invalidate your own feelings, but acknowledge them and then figure out what you can do while you recover, and what will help you feel better mentally while that's happening.

Demoralizing, yes, but it is not the end, just a speedbump in the road of life.

Wow, well said. Really needed to hear this today. Thank you. (And thanks for the other advice too. Very useful stuff.)

@fausto1973 Thanks for this post. I just hurt my shoulder yesterday using dumbbells when barbell wasn't available. Already having negative thoughts about my next workout. I appreciate this post (and the thoughtful comments) to try to keep things in perspective.

@fausto1973 I fractured my tailbone last year and had to take 5 months off of heavy lifting. Honestly, I was pretty depressed about it. In the meantime, I decided to work with a trainer who specialized in functional exercise (including injury prevention, adaptive fitness). Although I was really down about not being able to do anything that put pressure on my tailbone at all for a while (I could barely even sit down), it helped so much to be able to do other stuff. Also, it let me take the time to let my injury heal properly.

@fausto1973 I didn't read all the comments, I'm not an expert, I'm not fit at the moment and I don't know you.
But stop pussying around, hit the gym, train whatever you CAN as hard as you can and, for.the shoulder, almost every injury there you can train SOMETHING. I mean, your shoulder are not 360 fucked. Normally you'll be allowed to do some.kind of movement with safety, be it forward, upwards or lateral.
I've got some problem (that don't know the English condition name) and thought I wouldn't be able to bench press. I can do lateral raises with only 5kg. But since I started to correctly position my shoulder blades, I'm benching 15 reps with 70kg. And despite I'm not able to do shoulder excercises with front or lateral raises, anything that goes up it's fine.

@fausto1973 I recently aggravated my te-res minor muscle (rotator cuff muscle) I’ve included light weight range of motion exercises in my daily routine. I do about three different ones.

Even, when my teres minor was in pain, it felt good keeping range of motion. Also, a massage chair, hydro massage table, Stretching, and foam roller.

Back