3x Full body training

ehr

Hey guys I´ve started little workout again after some years of pause because of health issues and now when I moved from 1 chin up to around 7 and 2 push ups to 13 slow controlled reps I would like to do some basic plan for gaining muscles & strength and improve in all aspects slowly what my body allows to do.

Would like to train some basics for now like push ups, dips, pull ups, chin / neutral ups, australian pull ups, romanian deadlift, squats, reverse lunges / bulgarian split squat + some core/p(r)ehab training like adductor side plank, crawling, suitcase carry, crunch, hollowbody hold, L-sit progressions, single leg bridges, clamshells.

Would like to focus each workout on some different exercise and progress on it with more reps, then add weight on basics when I reach the top rep range - and here is my question - how many sets and what rep range should I have on each exercise to have enough volume but not too much? E.g. I read 3x6-15 should be okay). So start with 6 pullups, squats, push ups, dips etc., progress to 15 reps, then add some weight or move to harder variant (like push ups - pseudo planche push ups, archer push ups, etc.)

Is better to have A, B, C workout or put those exercises to only A, B full body training and train A, B, A, next week B, A, B, etc.? If you have some better options, appreciate if you give me some advice. But the basic exercises I would like to focus on are those I mentioned.

Sunday:

Chin Ups / Neutral Grip - 3 sets

Dips - 3 sets

Reverse Lunges / Bulgarian Split Squats - 3 sets

Romanian Deadlift - 2 sets

Suitcase Carry - 2 sets

+ core (2 sets L Sit training, Crunches)

Thuesday:

Squats - 3 sets

Australian Pull Ups - 3 sets

Push Ups - 3 sets

Single Leg Bridges - 2 sets

Dead Hang - 2 sets

+ core (2 sets Hollow Body Hold, Adductor Side Plank)

Thursday:

Squats - 3 sets

Negative Pull Ups - 3 sets

Push Ups on stands / Decline Push Ups - 3 sets

Suitcase Carry - 2 sets

Dead Hang - 1 set

+ core (2 sets Hollow Body Hold, L Sit training, Russian Twist)

Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday - rest, stretching, walking

Edit: solved, started to train the recommended routine

@ehr How you distribute your training volume has almost no impact on results, as long as you do not tax any one muscle too much during a single session. A typical advice is at most 6 sets per session for a muscle group.

https://doi.org/10.1080/02640414.2018.1555906

As for weekly sets per muscle group, every one always comes back to the same meta analysis, which says 12-20 sets. But remember that its just an average, novices need a lot less on average than more experienced. Also some of your muscles might require/tolerate more training than others. And then there is individual variation.

https://doi.org/10.2478/hukin-2022-0017

Typical indicators that you are doing too much volume (for a specific muscle) is persistent soreness and especially decrease in strength. Indicator of insufficient volume is lack of progress.

https://doi.org/10.1080/02640414.2020.1763077

@ehr
Is better to have A, B, C workout or put those exercises to only A, B full body training and train A, B, A, next week B, A, B, etc.? If you have some better options, appreciate if you give me some advice. But the basic exercises I would like to focus on are those I mentioned.

Do 1 full body routine.

Strength and hypertrophy are predicated on repeating an exercise over and over and progressing with it. If you only do an exercise 1x a week you're only going to work it about 50x per year as opposed to 2x or 3x a week which is 100x or 150x a year. You can see who is going to make more progress.

Would like to focus each workout on some different exercise and progress on it with more reps, then add weight on basics when I reach the top rep range - and here is my question - how many sets and what rep range should I have on each exercise to have enough volume but not too much? E.g. I read 3x6-15 should be okay). So start with 6 pullups, squats, push ups, dips etc., progress to 15 reps, then add some weight or move to harder variant (like push ups - pseudo planche push ups, archer push ups, etc.)

For beginners 2 exercises for 3 sets is generally optimal to start. 5-10 maybe up to 12-15 reps is fine.

See Recommended Routine for general structure or just do the RR instead:

https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/recommended_routine/

@deborah123 Didnt know about this well described routine with exactly all what I needed to know. Thank you for this. Today was my first workout. Excited to progress on it.

@ehr I wouldn't worry too much about too much volume. Just do what you can, if you feel overly fatigued later you can back off and reassess. Most people don't train enough. Your workout looks pretty good. My suggestions are not necessary whatsoever, but you might consider.

Having two distinct workouts and alternating them would give you fewer movements to focus on and hone in. You can always swap movements later, but in general you'll get best results practicing a few movements more frequently than a lot infrequently.

That being said there's a benefit to novelty and diversity in a training plan. You'll progress slightly slower but it will keep things fresh. If that's the direction you choose, I'd swap the negative pull ups in the third workout for face pulls, and the push up for pike push ups.

The last suggestion I'd make is alternating upper and lower body movements. Alternating push and pull is good, as is squat focus and posterior chain, but upper and lower is a more distinct separation.

@ehr 6 upper body push/pulls, 1 squat, 1 hinge covers all the basics, you have like 3 of these and a bunch of extra core exercises. Muscles take up to 48 hours to recover fully, can leave one to three reps in the tank for faster recovery and about equal gains. Rep ranges for goals is about - strength 1-5 reps(I like 3), 5-8 for strength/hypertrophy, 8-12 for hypertrophy/endurance ,12+ endurance/hypertrophy, 3-5 sets. You can split this up however you want, but essentially you can do 2 days in a row or do it all on one day every 2 days. Or 3 days or 4 depending on if you are adding in muscle specific exercises. Rest and food is as important as working out.

@ehr Keep in mind that different people will have different reactions to the same training, therefore it is imperative that you track your progression and modify your exercises accordingly. It is always a good idea to talk with a certified fitness trainer or a healthcare expert if you have any worries about your health or restrictions to your physical activity.

Thank you all guys for your answers and advice. I will continue with recommended routine and choose exercise variants I can make with my actual strength possibilities and focus on progress on it. This 3 days full body routine is exactly what I wanted. Perfect!

@ehr I probably suggest using two days rather than three. Three could work, but some people have a hard time recovering from three training days a week. Two will probably work and ensure that you don't have overuse injuries.

@pawel There may still be a bit of different in terms of getting more FULL days off in terms of recovery rather than training a little bit each day. But that's simply something to try out.

@jermyn The DOMS from the squats would be reason enough to keep more than 1 day between them. Unless those are easy body weight squats where you don’t get much DOMS from.

@ehr Keep in mind that different people will have different reactions to the same training, therefore it is imperative that you track your progression and modify your exercises accordingly. It is always a good idea to talk with a certified fitness trainer or a healthcare expert if you have any worries about your health or restrictions to your physical activity.

Back