4 day split VS bro split

lostsoul_

So, just a question about work out routines, I was just wondering if the "Bro split" (M: Chest, T: Back, W: Legs, T: Shoulders, F: Arms, S & S: Rest) is better and more effective then my normal four day split (M: Chest, triceps, T: Rest, W: Back, biceps, T: Legs, F: Rest, S: Shoulders, arms, S: Rest).

Since I'm on 8 week holidays right now, starting last week, my bro had convinced and told me about moving onto a 5 day bro split since we have a lot more time on our hands. I was just wondering if its worth it to move to this split, considering its taking up more time, or if I should just stick with my four day split and still be good.

@lostsoul_ Seems like you are comparing a 4 day bro split to a 5 day bro split. The only difference is you are putting your arm day into other days on the 4 day.

So if you are not able to get to the gym 1 day a week for whatever reason on the 5 day, just do 4 days. Otherwise it’s basically the same split.

@vaden30 would you recommend I just do the 5 day one anyway if im able to, as I would most likely be able to anyway. Also, i heard training each muscle twice a week is good, should I just make a new split where I train each group 2 times a week (except for legs), and if so would you know any good ones? thanks

@lostsoul_ Split is like 90% personal preference. Whichever one gets you more pumped to go to the gym.

You could also just run your 4 day split 5 days a week. Every 4 weeks one sessions gets hit twice.

Not sure why you would omit legs if you switched to hitting muscles twice a week. But you could do upper lower upper lower as a 4 day or if you want to emphasize upper you could run it 5 days and do U/L/U/L/U.

But I feel like the first point is most important. What split gets you more excited to go to the gym. And sometimes that’s just changing the split up every couple months. Maybe run a split for 12 weeks then do another one to keep it more fresh.

@vaden30 Thank you, yeah I guess the 4 day one makes me more excited just cause i get to hit more than one muscle a day. is there any negative impacts in changing your split every week? I wouldn't do that, but I just want to know if that would actually have some sort of impact in case I want to ever change a split I don't like after a week or so.

@frustratedhusband That’s my split. Chest, back, and arms on Sunday and Wednesday. Legs and shoulders on Monday and Thursday. 12 total sets of major muscles per week with 8 sets for arms.

@lostsoul_ I don't think it will make a huge difference either way. The split is probably the least important part of program design.

If what you're doing now is working there's not really any reason to change it arbitrarily. The potential upside is so minimal I wouldn't really bother.

@lostsoul_ In your case I think bro split is better. Whichever split you do, you're only hitting the muscle once a week. However, with bro split you have a dedicated day for arms when you're fresh. Will probably have more arm gains.

But why don't you hit them twice a week instead.
Back/bi, chest/tri, legs, back/bi, chest/tri, rest (or legs if you dare) , rest

@robrandazzo That’s where exercise selection comes into play. Overlap, direct/indirect effect, exercise selection. Body parts are not being hit once a week on a split that has good exercise selection. Highly highly suggest folks go listen to Andy bakers latest podcast “ the myth of bro splits “

@angel_heart I feel like the triceps get activated pretty well on chest days without extra isolation exercises.

I don't feel that much biceps during back days cause I'm focusing on movements where I feel a lot of contraction in my back. So I have to do isolations for them at the end of back days. My biceps need some work tho compared to my back so I'm thinking of doing them at the start of my back days instead.

@lostsoul_ You can do side delts on any day actually. Since other exercises don't work the side delts together. I do them on chest days and leg days.

Rear delts are hit during back days already. Pullups, rows, deadlifts train rear delts. I also add in some rear delt isolation exercises at the end.

Front delts are trained from pressing movements like bench presses. Most people don't need much front delt work cause they already do so much chest. Also your side delts and rear delts are harder to grow. If your front delts are overdeveloped, it make your proportions less aesthetic. If you really want, you can do some front delts on chest days too but I stopped doing them.

@lostsoul_ The most effective will be the split you can do for years on end.

Any slight difference in results will really come from differences in volume and intensity.

Back