41/M. I want to be able to play with and lift grandkids one day. I’m looking for suggestions on dumbbell only functional/compound training

bridgida

Like the title says, as. 41 year old, I want to make sure I’m strong and able for as long as possible. Up until about a year ago, I had let myself go, but I’ve gotten back into fitness since around 9-12 months ago. I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about long term goals and my main goals are weight loss (5’9” and still coming in at 225 - down from 240 a year+ ago), strength, and mobility.

With those goals in mind, I know I have a long way to go with my weight, but as for an exercise routine, I’d love to do full body functional/compound strength on M/WF with cardio and core on T/Th/Sat.

I have access to adjustable dumbbells, an adjustable bench, some bands, and a peloton. I’d prefer higher reps & lighter weights to go easy on the joints and make the workouts a mini cardio exercise, as well.

Any way, anyone have any ideas out there?

TL,DR: I’m looking to be strong for my child and possible future grandchildren. I’m interested in a dumbbell/bench only functional/compound routine.

@bridgida We have one grandma who can play with her grandson and one who can’t. He’s 2.5 years old and up until now everything happened on the floor. You gotta be able to get down on the floor and up again. Gotta be able to sit on the floor for a while. Get down and scoop him up. So yeah weights absolutely but I’d also recommend bodyweight like push ups and (sorry to say it) burpees.

@rugrat Burpees are the devil. But, I know they’re a great workout. I feel like they’re a great exercise for the, “It gets easier, but you have to do it everyday” mindset. Thanks!

@bridgida Best way to train for an activity is to practice. Find a child somewhere and pick them up and put them down over and over again. Think day care or a park. You can start with getting them up to chest height with two hands and eventually build up to one handed overhead throws. You also get to work on your cardio when people start to ask questions like “sir, is that your child?”. Remember to put the kid down before you start your run, loaded carry is too advanced

@mandapanda I started this yesterday and I’ve already lost 20 pounds. The food in the county lock up isn’t great, but I think that’s only helping my cause. Thank you for helping me start this journey.

@bridgida Have you looked at the wiki on r/fitness?

There are vetted routines there and loads of information to help understand how to reach your fitness goals.

As a side note: I absolutely loved following John Meadows' (RIP) resistance band only Push Pull Legs routine during covid gym closures. He has dumbbell only videos, too.

There are lots of solid 3 day full body routines out there, this is just one I found worked well for me when I couldn't go to the gym and do my regular workouts.

If you have access to a bench, dumbbells, and resistance bands, you are totally set! You can modify pretty much any excersize with those tools.

I think the biggest thing to remember when pursuing a 6 day per week fitness routine is that recovery is very important. Don't skimp on your nutrition. Don't skimp on sleep. Make sure you have a solid warm-up and stretch routine. I don't know what you're already currently doing, but don't just jump into doing 3 days of resistance training and three days cardio (I'm assuming running). It's a recipe for injury in a couple of months' time.

Slow and steady for long-term gains!

@exabus2 One of my biggest problems is exactly what you’re talking about - I do nothing for a long time, then jump back in full bore and end up hurt or (usually) sick. This is great advice all around. Thank you!

@snada Mine is 67. I met him while working out. Said he used to be a boxer back in the day and basically kept the same body type. Guy is probably 10 percent body fat or less and does hard intense cardio as well as some basic home gym stuff. Nothing super heavy. So much of his workouts are things like stair climbing or other cardio. And this guy just goes. I can at this point just keep up with him and he has 20 years on me. When I made my own changes I thought why not try an emulate that. And now 4 years later I stronger, and have more energy then in most times of my life except my early 20s. My plan was to add muscle and do weights when I got here but that was 2 years ago and I never did that because I like this endurance type body better.

@bridgida Here is my result post on r/intermittentfasting

But essentially a proper diet to lose the weight. You have to make decision on things like alcohol. I quit altogether as it was a problem for me. Once you are at a proper weigh the fitness becomes almost easy. I took my time to build back up to it. The first year I didn't even do hard workouts just walking etc. Then in second year I started adding harder workouts in. Just slow and steady until I got to where I wanted to be. Then it is just maintenance.

@bridgida Check out Linchpin. Their private track has dumbbell/limited equipmentoptions, in addition to having an online community to keep you going.

They have a 30 day free trial. They also have Linchpin Conversations (podcast) worth listening to.

I’m 36M, my gym uses the Linchpin programming and it has worked a treat for me the last 2 years. I’ve played with the dumbbell option for the workouts a few times and they are definitely not an “easy” version of the prescribed workouts of the day.

@bridgida Gmb elements looked like a good program. I was thinking about investing in it but just used some of their free content. It would be stuff like bear crawls, crab walks, frogger.

@bridgida
This is a good all rounder. When I started it I only got up to 6 on the pyramid and worked back down. Added a step a week.

I am also kind of fond of this one.

You can apply a lot of the Kettlebell programs to dumbbells. I'd have a look at Iron Cardio or Dry Fighting weight or Giant.

https://oaklandsmostpowerful.com/the-rite-of-passage-preview
You could also use Rite of passage Progressions to build your own workouts using squats, cleans, presses, deadlifts.

Or last but not least Easy Strength by Dan John.

@doctoroliver83 Wow. Loads of good stuff. Dan John is on the Art of Manliness podcast quite a bit. He’s always an interesting listen. I can’t do a single pull up and tried his method of hanging and negatives. Didn’t really help with pull ups, but I did feel stronger.

@bridgida 41 M here also with 3 young kiddos, as was mentioned below , resistance training for sure but mobility is huge. Make sure to include a solid stretching regiment, it helps way more now than it did when I was in my 20’s.