5’3”F could use some advice

firemist

Hi everyone I could use some help. I am a 5’3” 46F. I weigh between 145-150 lbs. I’ve worked out fairly consistently over the past 6 years with 2 days of lifting, 1-2 days of spin class, & 1 day of HITT class. (In the summer I road bike). I want to lose fat. I have an incredibly hard time sticking to a low calorie diet & have been about 20lbs overweight for most of my adult life. I only seem to lose when I cut my calories to around 1200/day, but inevitably stress eat or get overwhelmed with cravings and blow it all. (I’ve unsuccessfully worked with a sports nutritionist in the past, also have used MacroFactor, I generally weigh everything I eat, am very familiar with tracking).

I know I have lots of muscle but I look fat. I have been trying to switch to a WFPB diet (I listen to a lot of Rich Roll podcasts). I just don’t know if I’m getting enough protein/hitting daily recommendations for amino acids. When I plug it all in to chronometer I’m only around 60g protein. I’m not try to compete, or meet any strength goals or anything. I just want to be healthy & I enjoy exercise. But I also want to lose my spare tire.

I really enjoy eating a high fiber diet and usually eat 1 cup dry oatmeal w/ soy milk for breakfast, a cup of beans + veggies for lunch, carrots for a snack, and tofu/beans/edemame + veggies for dinner & fruit for dessert. (I’m not consistent though & end up stress eating blowing my calories) Is this enough protein? Should I add a vegan protein shake in? I do not enjoy eating seitan, or any of the faux meats. I would like to lose 20 lbs. maybe I’m just rambling…I’ve been trying to lose this weight most of my adult life & I’m just kind of exhausted. Does anyone have any advice? Am I on the right track? I just need to really get my consistency with eating locked down?

@firemist Based on your example food menu, you’d only be eating about 1200 calories at most, without any stress eating.

Have you been tracking calories? If so, what’s your average intake over the past month?

I think you’re going to have to be honest about how much you’re eating and get to the bottom of the stress eating. That may entail finding more productive ways to manage stress.

@pamcaid I haven't been tracking consistently for the past month. But you are correct in your assessment of me needig to be more honest about the nutrition and stress eating.

@firemist I would just start by tracking what you eat for a couple weeks without trying to change anything, no shame or judgment, which means even if you binge or stress eat, track everything. If you maintain your weight, then the calories you ate over that period are your maintenance calories. You’ll need to eat fewer than that to lose weight. I agree with others who’ve said a smaller deficit would be more comfortable and probably sustainable, so like 200. Prioritizing protein makes me feel fuller and more satiated for longer than if the vast majority of my calories come from carbs. Nothing wrong with carbs, and I still get 45-50% of my calories from them, but I also like protein to be 25-30% of my calories. You don’t need to focus on macros. I just focus on my calorie and protein targets.

I use Cronometer to track my calories.

@firemist If you’re already having oatmeal for breakfast it’s super easy to add protein powder into it. I use hemp protein powder in my oatmeal or smoothie daily to bump up the protein. That plus some nuts and fruit in the oatmeal and I’m super full for hours

@firemist +1 to this. I've been vegan 23yrs and while a regular WFPB diet can be really heathy once you're at maintenance, it's basically impossible to hit a low calorie, high protein target without supplementing.

Find what works best for you and stick to it. That might be adding a couple of shakes into your daily routine, scooping powder into your oatmeal, or keeping protein bars with you for when you need to snack.

@firemist I'm a small woman, too, and I feel you, it's so much harder with a tiny BMR.

Yes, the only way is to lock down your calorie deficit. Cutting them works, but so does more cardio if you can find one you enjoy enough.

I keep mine in check by loving distance cycling. And buying winter gear. Lol.

There is plenty of advice on the internet if you want to try high volume eating. I don't, so no personal advice, but it's a thing some people do.

For what it's worth, oatmeal makes me ravenous. Always has, idk why.

So I do have a protein shake almost every day for breakfast. I like Alani Nu, but it's very sweet, so I mix it with cold brew or instant coffee, and a cup of frothed soy milk. An all in one breakfast. More protein does help me with satiety and recovery (I eat about 120-130g a day), so I would try it and see if it works for you.

Another strategy I have had success with is to keep a calorie count by week. I'm not as hungry on the bike, but usually ravenous the next day. I learned from it I need to fuel up for anything approaching century distance 48 hours in advance, too. It really helped me see my patterns, and how much I could "fix" one bad day pretty easily. Chronometer does a daily average of the last week, which might help. Idk, it just helps to see it as, eh, not so bad, get right back at it, if you're prone to going off the rails when you "blow it".

@firemist When I first started I used apps, but I also printed out a big monthly calendar. I'd write the condensed information on it, like for me, daily mileage and calories. In different colors. Really helped me visualize it, and see my patterns.

If you have a menstrual cycle, adding that can also help. Especially if it fluctuates your weight, or makes you want to eat all the potato chips. Mine definitely does.

@tonya85 I love this idea, I'm very much a data/tracking person so this really appeals to me. I had a partial hysterectomy a while ago so I have a cycle but I never know where I'm at in it. I know from past experience though that it absolutely affects my weight loss. Maybe this will become more apparent though if I track exercise and eating in a more visual application.

@firemist Hi! I am an online coach and a vegan bodybuilder. It sounds like you might be spinning your wheels here. Even if you are only 5'3, you should be eating more than 1200 calories and able to diet while eating more calories. Depending on your dieting history you might need to reverse diet. And I would definitely recommend more protein.

@monae I agree. I’m 5ft 2 and wouldn’t be able to get through the day on 1200 calories. Just because you are small, it doesn’t necessarily mean you need to be on less calories. 2300 calories is my maintenance.
I would reverse diet and you will be so surprised how your body reacts. You wouldn’t binge eat or feel constantly hungry (as that’s just miserable and unsustainable) definitely up the protein to keep you full for longer

@firemist That and going full Eat to Live are the only things that have worked for me weight loss wise, but more protein is easier an less expensive (for me anyway). Good luck!

@firemist One thing that is fun/helpful for me is training for a race or event. I’m not a serious competitor in anything, so I’m always training just to finish successfully. Having a goal and something you’re working toward may help you manage your cravings.

Good luck!!

@firemist Heyo. Your diet seems great! If I can offer a piece of advice as a person in a similar situation - tracking calories is key. I lost lotsa weight a few years ago but the last 10kg were achieved by 1. Sticking to a WFPB diet, 2. Weighing my food religiously, 3. Being in a slight (200-300kcal) deficit mostly induced by exercise i.e., I ate at my maintenance and exercised or walked everyday to burn the calories. Stress eating is a problem for me, too. I kinda trained myself to leave the house when I feel like binging without my wallet so I wouldn’t end up at any shop/coffee place. If leaving the house is not an option, I switch on my Nintendo, or (more effective) get on my laptop to do some work. For you distractions might look different eg reading a book. You might want to explore what could work for you. Good luck!

@sunee1 I'm going to try a smaller deficit like you recommended. I get in the mindset that if I don't cut 500 cals/day and see progress on the scale soon, I lose all motivation to keep on a stricter eating schedule. I'm at the point in my life that I don't really care how long things take as long as I'm moving in the right direction.

@firemist Get the daily dozen app. Enable the 21 tweaks.

I’d highly recommend reading How Not to Diet by Michael Greger. It is excellent and very informative. The app puts together many of his tips, but reading the book will give you the scientific basis of understanding for why each strategy may help you.

Back