54 y.o. Vegan for 9 years

andersonjeni

Hopefully, this will inspire others who are in their 40s and 50s to stick with it. I don't do any resistance training except for some pushups a few times a week, but I do lots of running and cycling. No TRT, no protein powder, just about 80+% WFPBD. AMA.

link

@andersonjeni Hahaha! As someone who’s just turning 40, I can relate to at least some of it.

Your body just starts having small problems with things that weren’t issues before. I guess that’s inevitable.

@fireheartis1 Thank you so much Snow. You're exactly right, and for me, this has been the key. My goal has never been to look a certain way. As I responded to Michelle, it's just a nice by-product of my lifestyle. I can't stress enough how important finding a sustainable routine is.

@andersonjeni Outstanding! 53 year old vegan here. Also follicly challenged and eyesight worsening. Hearing has always been bad but I don't care to hear what most people have to say anyway. I hit the gym 5 to 6 times a week. At this stage in life it's about maintenance. Hopefully you and I will be representing fit vegans into our 90s.

@hadassahme Thanks Red. Although I must admit, my reasons for becoming vegan were not so altruistic. I happened to read a book called Eat and Run, by vegan ultra-runner Scott Jurek, and decided to give it a shot to see if it would impact my athletic performance.

But the more I researched, the more I came to understand the horrifying impact of eating meat, fish, and dairy. I hate to admit that I didn't even know at that time that cows had to be continually impregnated to produce milk, and their calves were immediately taken from them after birth. 😢

@lushee_00 Very true.

I live in rural Japan, about 80km north of Tokyo, which is to say, I live in a vegan desert. There aren't many options in terms of processed vegan food. No Impossible Foods or Beyond Meat here. Nothing of the sort really.

So, as you can imagine, I eat a lot of white rice. Every day. Just goes with the territory here. My standard meal is rice, beans, veggies (broccoli, mushrooms, peppers, onions, carrots, etc) and usually some type of tofu mixed in. The variety of tofu you can get here is amazing and so cheap and delicious.

My wife is a magician in the kitchen, and the variety of meals she can prepare with the same standard ingredients is remarkable. I'm not quite so accomplished unfortunately, although I do manage.

@andersonjeni My SO is NOT a cook, haha, but it was my going vegan that made me become a pretty dab hand in the kitchen! Not relying on smothering your "cuisine" in meat fat and dairy really pushes you to understand spices and cooking methods--where a HUGE diversity of flavor comes from! This is my next dish I'm gonna prep!

Also: konnichi wa! I lived in Japan for 3 years before I was vegan, and I really want to go back. From what you're saying, you're reinforcing my hesitation: it seems like it's still hard to be an easy-vegan in japan :\ I try to think about what I ate or saw available: Sushi? No. Donburi? Nope. Curry-rice? No way. Bone-broth ramen? Nah. What does restaurant-available vegan food look like from your experience? Anything reliable?

@hadassahme Where I live there are two options; Indian veggie curry or Mos Burger. They came out with a vegan burger about a year ago. Other than that, it's virtually impossible for me to eat at a restaurant. Tokyo however, has really started booming with vegan options.. Unfortunately, because of this damn pandemic, I haven't been there for a year and a half.

Back