7x5 Incline pushup twice a day

@lsand1 Yes lol. I do +-5 sets of 8-12 pushups a week and 5 sets of 2-4 dips and been making gains for 9 months. It's not the quickest gains but it's gains, and I'm in it for the long haul. Not destroying your muscles tendons and joints to overuse injury is pretty important in that regard.

@kozluv those are the only 2 things you do? just pushups and dips.

chef rush apparently does 2222 push ups a day on top of everything else :|

@lsand1 No I train every muscle group. And if I had to do more than what I do I'd burn out on it I think. This guy doing 7x5 sets a day, imagine doing that for every muscle group, every day. That's something like 55 sets a day lmao. Good luck with that.

@kozluv So when you train every muscle group, depending on what you do, it would hit your chests. But OP only mentions just doing 1 exercise. No way is doing 70 push ups a day overtraining.

@albatro55 Do a combination of different calisthenics movements. I'm pretty jacked and I maintained my physique and got more muscular and lean due to doing planks, lunges, air squats, situps, pushups, pullups, and running. I like lifting, but calisthenics are a great tool to switch up my workouts and utilize if I don't have a gym, like during the pandemic. Stick to the fundamentals and you will go far. a healthy diet and good sleep must accompany your workout plan or you won't make gains. Good luck on getting ripped man!! Sounds like you're on the right path.

@albatro55 I think if you only do pushups for exercise then you're asking for shoulder impingement issues down the line. In fact you'd likely start experiencing pain very quickly if you do that much volume with no rest days!

If you're going to do just one exercise I'd aim for something that works squatting and/or hip hinging - squat progressions are a good idea. However if you can find ways to work the rest of your body then that would be best.

I wouldn't recommend working on pushups without some complementary pulling exercise(s) to strengthen your back. You want to develop a strong support system for your shoulders to prevent injury, and an imbalance between your pushing and pulling strength is one of the easiest ways to cause chronic pain. Rows are the natural complement to pushups, and will help to build balance in your shoulders. You can do these easily at home by tying a knot in a bedsheet, hanging it over a closed door, and pulling your weight up on the sheet. Just like pushups, the closer you are to the ground, the harder the exercise will be.

If you think you'll be able to commit the time to do 14 sets daily, you won't regret diversifying your exercise - you'll probably find you'd make faster progress doing fewer sets per exercise, and you'll look and feel better for it. Hope this helps!

@albatro55 There is no quick fix. You didn't get into poor shape overnight and you will not have the body you want overnight. It is a marathon, not a sprint.

Just start. Walk, do a few push ups, and start to calculate the calories you eat with an app.

Do it for you and your long term health.

@albatro55 Check out burpees, they are a great all round exercise that has cardio benefits (calorie burn) and full body benefits. Burpees wont make you big and muscular but they are a great way to burn calories and lean out!

@albatro55 This may be an unpopular recommendation, but it did me well in high school. Run hill sprints and do pushups or lunges or any other exercise in between sprints.

This will help you lean out and eventually gain some muscle/endurance.

A quick example:
Hill sprint
10-15 pushups
Short rest (1 to 3 min)
Repeat

If you have a stopwatch, time your sprints from top to bottom. Once you see a huge increase in the time it takes you to get to the top, your workout is over.

@albatro55 First off, take a breath. I know it doesn't seem like it right now but you're young with pleeeenty of life ahead of you. If you decide bodyweight fitness interests you do your research and find a simple program to start with. Work your way up from there gradually and focus on form, not rep/set quantity. Instant gratification does not exist for this kind of thing, it takes time.

@albatro55 Hey kid this is what ill recommend to you...

attempt a 30 day push up challenge. get a calendar and hang it on your bedroom door/wall and mark each day u complete the challenge. I recommend u do this when u wake up in the morning AND at nights before taking a shower and going to bed. Push ups are hard but they don't tire u out like cardio so you can do them twice a day. There are some things u want to focus on when doing this challenge
  1. Don't be too worried about how much u can do in a row and focus on doing them properly. There are videos on YouTube that teaches you how to do a proper push up.
  2. Since u are new to working out I don't expect you to be doing a lot of push ups so do them to failure (so stop when you can't do 1)
  3. Don't be too hard on yourself if u do this for a week and you don't seem to be improving. If u stay consistent you will improve before u even realize.
  4. Understand working out sucks its painful and you are going to want to feel like giving up... when that happens don't. your future self will thank you.
  5. Stay away from sugar as much as possible. drink lots of water. (do not drink soda)
  6. Do your research.
  7. At the end of the 30 days if you are consistent I promise u will see and feel a difference and that will give u the motivation to keep going.

@albatro55 u can start with inclines for now... you never want to do bad form. shoulder blades together going down and arms fully extended going up. Don't cheat yourself. as u get stronger you want to make it more difficult...

so from incline to normal to decline then when you can do 20 decline push ups in a row u start to add weights. Depending on your diet and genetics u could go from incline to weighted in 6 months if u stay consistent.

@albatro55 People typically treat their pets better than they treat themselves. Be kinder to yourself; a little criticism is one thing but remain kind with a thought trajectory towards solving what ails you, not just beating yourself without a path to redemption.

@albatro55 Well the thing about exercise is you get better at it over time, and that’s kind of the desired out outcome too. So you want to periodically revise what your routine is to reflect that. So maybe aim to stick to that for a week or two, it’s kind of satisfying to complete a small goal, and then add another rep or another set and give yourself a little time to adjust to that new routine next.

Aside from push ups, squats and bicycle kicks can be done without any equipment. From experience I saw a good bit of improvement in a year of doing daily push ups and sit ups.

@albatro55 Simple Answer: No, it's not enough. Just training a single exercise for a set amount of sets and reps will only get you good at doing that single exercise for that amount of sets and reps. If you only do 7x5 incline pushups, you will become really good at doing 7x5 incline pushups. That's about it.

Here's all you need to do:

1) Pick a workout routine that you can stick to long term. There's the Recommended Routine in the sidebar here, or you can go to /r/fitness if you have access to weights. Be honest with yourself, what types of workouts do you like more (weights, bodyweight/calisthenics, martial arts, etc). Try to stick to that. Doing exercises and workouts you enjoy will ensure long term adherence (funny how that works).

2) Figure out your diet situation. If you want to lose weight, eat at a caloric deficit. If you want to gain muscle, eat at a surplus. No more than 500 calories in either direction. Keep protein at 1g/lb body weight, fats at 20-30% total caloric intake, and fill the rest in with carbs (yes carbs, your body needs energy to workout).

3) Reset your expectations. No one gets results in a short period. Literally no one. This isn't a situation where it's possible but unhealthy and we're just sitting on some massive secret technique to get shredded in a week. It's just straight up impossible. Doesn't matter how bad you want it, the laws of physics and physiology aren't going to change cause your feelings are hurt. Set a 3 month timeline MINIMUM (preferably 6mo-1yr) for results. Muscle grows when consistently exposed to a stimulus it cannot perform to. Fat is lost when your body is consistently in a caloric deficit, and needs more energy than it uses, so it burns up your fat stores. See the common word there? Consistency. This shit takes time. Give yourself that time.

4) Track progress, starting now. Start with some "before" pictures of yourself, and body measurements if you're more of a numbers guy, and continue to take pics/measurements every few weeks. It helps you track/see progress, especially at the beginning. You're not going to magically shed fat and grow a ton of muscle overnight. It's going to be slow and steady progress that you likely won't see at first. The pictures help with that.

@albatro55 Yesterday you said tomorrow so, JUST DO IT.

Don’t ask us if it’s okay, don’t waste time feeling bad, just start doing the push-ups. They’ll be hard at first and then, if you’re eating properly, they’ll get easier.

If I were you though, I’d do a whole-body body-weight workout and not just pushups. Throw some squats in there, curl anything you can find, hit those calf raises hard, and STRETCH.

@albatro55 First off, cut it out with the negative shit. That's only gonna hold you back. If you weren't exercising then sure you won't be in shape. That's nothing to beat yourself up over, it's how it works for everybody.

Pick a beginner plan and stick to it. Eat better. BUT remember, you are only 16. You're still developing. You can and will be in excellent shape by the time it matters.

@albatro55
  1. There’s no quick fix for anything, don’t expect changes immediately otherwise you’re set up for failure right away
A couple of push-ups a day on their own will barely do anything. Instead, start with a basic small workout and work your way up from there.
There are a million good YouTube videos out there for beginner workouts that also go over easier variations of common exercises if you can’t yet do some of them. (I follow „Hybrid calisthenics“ for example

The better you get the more you increase the intensity of the workout. The important thing is you stick to it. Don’t go crazy working out every day for one week and then doing nothing for the next. Consistency is key
  1. 90% of weight loss happens in the kitchen. Start tracking your calories, find out how much you burn on average and adjust your diet accordingly. Avoid highly processed foods, eat lots of fruits and veggies, get enough protein etc
  2. Get enough sleep. Incredibly important!
  3. Your mindset overall really doesn’t seem good. It’s fine to feel bad about yourself sometimes or to be unhappy with your body but if you constantly talk yourself down you situation will just become worse, not better. Self fulfilling prophecy and all that.
Edit: also I’d recommend just walking more. Consistently getting 10k steps a day can do wonders

Back