A Beginner's Guide to High-Intensity Interval Training (x-post from r/HIIT)

@mohawkman No, anyone can benefit, and HIIT is even used to aid in rehabilitation for people with various cardiovascular diseases. However there's always a risk when starting a new exercise regiment, especially if you don't already do some form of cardio (and the risk would be higher the older you are), so you would want to consult a physician and get their advice, and only then ease into it.

Here's a meta analysis that looked for results of studies that involved groups of people age 65 and older:

High-intensity interval training, though increasingly popular, has not been well-studied in older adults.

Early research suggests that HIIT may confer health benefits over moderate-intensity continuous training (traditional endurance exercise) and is generally well-tolerated in older adults.

This is from the Wikipedia page:

Dangers of HIIT

The American College of Sports Medicine suggests consulting one's doctor before starting a HIIT regimen, particularly if there is a history of coronary heart disease. This is to ascertain its safety and allow the patient to build up the intensity of exercise without causing harm. It is advised to start a lower intensity and go at one's own pace.

There is a risk of injury due to fatigue and overtraining, so it is advised to allow time for recovery. Research from Rutgers University demonstrated that the knees, shoulders, and ankles were the most commonly involved injuries. More specifically, knee and ankle sprains were very common. Based on that, neuromuscular training and pre-strengthening programs are recommended to improve flexibility, particularly before exercise.

I have no actual expertise on this topic (obligatory "I am not a doctor"); this is just what I found when I went looking.