Beginner's Guide to Watching and Understanding Artistic Gymnastics, Rings Events

@zfatu As long as your arms are straight in the hang or hold, false grip is allowed. At least when I was competing.

That being said, you don't necessarily want to do a false grip on something like an iron cross because you're actually using the wrong muscles even though it's easier. And again, much harder to lock your arms in a false grip.

@zfatu You're going to be (hopefully) doing a lot of drills and strength exercises before you even attempt an iron cross, so again, I'd strongly suggesting learning it the 'proper' way.

@boundlesslove I have no intention of doing an iron cross now or probably ever. But I what I was trying to say is I thought FG was the proper way or profession to a non FG. Just having that few less inches pulling you away from your center of gravity has got to be huge. This is all presumption, which I tried to make obvious in my last comment. I've got no gymnastics knowledge but plenty of schooling in bio and physio

@zfatu Ah ok yeah, you can learn it with a FG and then transition into a non-fg cross but it's harder for a few reasons although, totally possible. Just those couple of inches makes a huge difference not only because of the center of gravity, but because you're actually using different muscles. Which is why I had suggested to just learn it properly first.

@jackkoons I've seen some very general articles that just mention what D- and E-scores are. My intention was to go deeper, but not to include too many nuances-if I did, one might as well read the whole CoP instead. You can point out a rule you think would be important, I will then add it to the post. Thanks