A protein intake of 0.8g per kg (0.36g per pound) of body weight is NOT an optimal intake for muscle growth

monte

I see this myth too often in this community, the minimum recommendation for sedentary adults is 0.8g per kg of body weight, not for people who want to increase muscle protein synthesis (AKA building muscle) and also not for active individuals as their body also requires more protein for recovery.

When you look into the science you can find different recommendations, I personally aim for 2.2g of protein per kg of body weight, because of this paper: "In a large meta-analysis, protein intake was shown to promote additional gains in lean body mass beyond those observed with resistance exercise alone; however, beyond a daily intake of 1.6 g/kg body mass per day (up to as high as 2.2 g/kg/day), the additional effects of protein are greatly diminished." if you make a graph and put muscle built on the y axis and protein intake on the x-axis then it looks something like this.

You don't have to believe that this meta-analysis is 100% correct, it could be that after doing some research you find that it's actually lower or even higher, but my main point is that you shouldn't aim for 0.8g per kg of body weight and you definitely shouldn't promote it, it's harmful to veganism.

@monte The point of diminishing returns is not the same as the optimal amount.

Per the article you cited:

In a breakpoint analysis, we also demonstrated that beyond a daily protein intake of 1.6 g/kg/day (1.0–2.2; 95% CI), protein supplementation failed to augment resistance exercise-induced muscle hypertrophy.

At 2.2 g/kg you’re definitely getting enough protein, but also damaging your liver with no increase in hypertrophy.

@himaboveall This is what everyone is missing. The difference that more protein beyond the RDA makes is so little and so low in the hierarchy of importance that it is not worth stressing about unless you are competing for a show or competition.

From personal experience, far more important in order of importance is training, calories, rest. You can eat all the protein you want, but if you are not training,eating enough calories, resting, you will still lose muscle.

I have personally retained strength during short aggressive cuts (30% deficit) on 60-70g protein.

@josh_r12 What's the RDA? 0.8/kg?

You seem to be missing that there indeed is a big difference if you up your protein from 0.8/kg to about 1.3 to 1.6/kg. Thereafter the gains seem to flatten out. The RDA is not for athletes.

By all means, do what works for you, but there sure is benefit to be had if you up your protein from 0.8 to 1.3 to 1.6kg per kg.

@monte The American College of Sports Medicine recommends .5 to .8 grams of protein per lb of body weight for athletes. https://www.acsm.org/docs/default-s...ein-intake-for-optimal-muscle-maintenance.pdf

To increase muscle mass in combination with physical activity, it is recommended that a person that lifts weights regularly or is training for a running or cycling event eat a range of 1.2-1.7 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight per day, or 0.5 to 0.8 grams per pound of body weight.

@israelarb I drew good inspiration from google, with recipes etc. And getting a protein powder supplement works wonders. Don’t be shy to drink a shake twice a day. Yes, you’ll be eating big portions of food, and that’s a whole getting-used-to in itself, but yea, those I my tips. And lastly: don’t take it too seriously. Just eat a lot of good and protein strong food, weigh food for the first couple of weeks to get an idea of how much you should/can eat, and go from there.

@israelarb I feel ya bro. Soy doesn’t work for me, so I honestly started slipping on the diet and picked up some limited animal products

For me, it’s 100% a convenience thing, but it’s practically impossible to reach my protein chowing down on tons of black beans and chickpeas a day

@garrettlst yeah might have to do two servings of chana masala (indian chickpea dinner) and like 8 cups of straight daal (lentils) to get to my goal lol. there’s also sprouted mung beans which is like 12g protein for 200 cal i believe. also 1000 calories oatmeal with two protein scoops will be 86 g protein. i think all that together i can reach maybe 160 grams for 23-2500 calories

@israelarb Check out Huel Black. It's worked great for me. 40g protein per 400cal shake. Have a couple of those in the day and you'd be set to complement your other foods.

Back