A recap of my transition from running and cycling to kettlebell training

equinelover

Hey r/kettlebell! Several folks (@jwils35, @christfollower1993, @andy0, and @kanakoa) commented on one of my recent posts and suggested I consider doing a write-up of my transition from running and cycling to kettlebell training. Hope some of y’all find this helpful!

I didn’t take any progress pics along the way, but here’s an image that shows me after a fall 2019 race vs. now. I was about 167 lbs. on the left, and I’m currently around 187 lbs.

Background

I’ve been a runner for about eight years and a cyclist for approximately five. Running has always been my primary endurance sport because I love the simplicity of lacing up my shoes and heading out the door. I’m more of an “on-again, off-again” cyclist.

I’m not an elite runner by any means, but I have one win under my belt and a couple of podium finishes in smaller local races (both age group and overall). I’ve never formally competed in a cycling race, but I’ve taken part in a gravel endurance event, completed a couple of centuries, and participated in multi-day charity rides.

I also did one sprint triathlon because I figured it was about time I combined the two, haha. (Also, swimming is incredibly difficult; hats off to those who do it!)

Getting Involved with Kettlebells

I picked up my first kettlebells (a 16kg and 24kg) about three years ago to supplement my running. I was tired of getting injured and wanted a form of strength training that wouldn’t leave me too fatigued to log my miles. I did Simple & Sinister (S&S) a couple of times a week but ended up straying from it once I started ramping up my running and cycling training again.

Restarting S&S

Fast forward to the end of 2019: I was coming off one of the best running seasons of my life and went for a PR in the half marathon to close the year. I was logging 50+ miles a week and, in hindsight, racing too much and not eating enough. I ended up hurting my foot during the race and, in true runner fashion, continued training despite knowing something was off. It turned out it was a stress fracture, which landed me in an orthopedic boot for eight weeks. The only activity I was cleared for was swimming, so that’s what I did.

I’ve had several running injuries over the years, but the stress fracture was a wake-up call that I needed to be more diligent about strength training. Once the boot came off, I dusted off the kettlebells and started S&S again.

I did my swings and Turkish get-ups three to four times a week while slowly getting back to running (about 20 miles a week), and reached Simple after about four months of being back at it. I had a solid base from my previous S&S training, and my cardio was in a great spot from swimming and running.

Rite of Passage

I did a 13-week Rite of Passage (RoP) cycle as a follow-up to S&S and loved it. I started with 24kg clean and press ladders and stuck with those until I could do 5 x (1, 2, 3, 4, 5). From there, I moved up to 32kg. By the end of the program, I could press the 40kg (about 47 percent body weight) and snatch 24kg for 100 reps in just under five minutes.

I cut wayyy back on running during RoP because I needed more recovery than S&S. I usually did one or two runs a week (four to five miles each).

Total Tension Complex

After RoP, I was itching to work with double bells, so I picked up a second 24kg and started Total Tension Complex (TTC). I began with a 6-rep press and 7-rep squat pyramid and finished with an 8-rep press and 11-rep squat pyramid. TTC is simple but effective, and I think I saw some hypertrophy as a result. I cut back on running even more during TTC because the rep pyramids required a lot of recovery time. I typically ran once a week (about four miles); sometimes, not at all.

Where I’m at Now

I’m currently working through Living.Fit’s Kettlebell Origins program as a way to “reset” after TTC. I think I may follow up with the Double Gains program. I’m getting back to running twice a week, but we’ll see how that goes once I move to heavier work.

I’m also considering a personal trainer or KB instructor certification so I can help others. Strength training has been a game-changer for me, and I’d love to help fellow endurance athletes get stronger and more injury-resilient.

Hope this is helpful! Thanks for reading!

@whatnow I’ve always been a generally healthy eater and didn’t really change up what I was eating; I just ate more of the foods I was already eating. For example, going from a 1/2 cup to full cup of oatmeal. I also started supplementing with whey protein and creatine.

Edit: 167 lbs. is also light for me. I don’t think I was eating enough to keep up with my miles. My normal “walk-around” weight is probably 180-ish, so the lbs. came back fairly quickly.

@equinelover Makes sense and I'm pretty similar, but have gotten more serious about losing some weight when I realized I was 10lbs heavier than I thought I was. Read a lot in this fitness subs about how much protein intake you need to force upon yourself and I just really can't imagine spending so much mental energy on tracking macros (for one, I don't just cook for myself so forcing someone else onto my diet seems unfair).

Also, props for not being anti-cardio in some of your responses here. Always a pet-peeve of mine in different fitness subs and I think your mindset is spot-on: it depends on what your priorities / goals are.

@dawn16 I hear you. I used to do barbell training and track my macros. I got a pretty good sense of my daily food intake from doing that, but it got cumbersome after a while. I ate (and still do eat) a lot of salads and found that I was just kind of guesstimating how much of each ingredient I was putting in.

And thanks for the cardio note. I think a lot of runners avoid strength training because they don't want to get "bulky." It's totally possible to build mileage and use tools like kettlebells to get stronger while doing so.

@equinelover One more question / request for advice for you: Right now I have a 16kg and 24kg. Can easily handle most exercises with the 24kg and use S&S as my base workout while adding extra exercises on the end. It is still a workout that gets me working, but swings, TGUs, cleans, presses, and snatches are all doable. Have started doing some double kettlebell work for an extra challenge.

Am wondering if you would recommend going through RoP with the 24kg or investing more space and $ in a 32kg (I live in a condo so not a ton of extra closet space). Where did you see the most strength gains?

@dawn16 I saw significant strength gains with RoP, so you might want to start that with 24kg and work toward 5 x (1, 2, 3, 4, 5) ladders. Once you're in a good spot with 24kg, you can invest in the 32kg for your test days and, eventually, use it as your primary bell when you're ready to step up your RoP ladder weight.

@equinelover Thank you so much for the write up! I was waiting for this. Your progress is amazing and very inspiring. Our pathways are eerily similar, and because I'm about a year behind you, I hope they'll prove identical!

I too was a runner for years and then cyclist for two. I was using kettlebells to supplement that but as injuries crept in, kettlebells have taken over. Recently re-established simple after a break from training and now on ROP with a 24. Completing it with the 32 like you did is my goal right now then onto Total Tension!

I'm up from ~165lbs to 178 so far as well.

Back