A recap of my transition from running and cycling to kettlebell training

@equinelover How would you have changed your programming if your goal was to keep running a decent volume? E.g. if you wanted to keep running around 30 miles a week but also keep building strength? I'm interested to hear your opinion because this is my situation.

@mrstbw That mileage would have been doable for S&S but a lot tougher with RoP and TTC.

The light, medium, and heavy pressing days are essential to RoP, so I think I would have kept those and opted for running on my two variety days, with another run on an off day, and maybe a recovery run later in the day after the light pressing session (for four runs total). I would have made an effort to take at least one full day off to recover and made all of my runs super easy.

TTC is where it gets really tricky because the rep pyramids are designed to push you to your limits. Do you follow John Parker on IG? He's an SFG who hikes a lot, and I believe he turned TTC into a 2x per week, eight-week program so he could maintain his miles. I probably would have done something along those lines.

With both RoP and TTC, my goal was to build strength, and I don't think I would have made the same gains if I was trying to maintain 20+ miles a week. Hope that helps!

@equinelover Thanks for taking the time to reply, it's interesting to hear your experience. TTC 2x per week sounds good, I'm currently trying to balance 2 strength days with about 25 miles per week.

Do you intend to get back into running or does strength training now scratch that itch for you?

@mrstbw Kettlebell training is my priority now, but I still like to run a couple of times a week for enjoyment. I'll probably hop into some 5Ks with friends once those are a thing again.

@equinelover Been following your updates as I too come from running and cycling (although a bigger guy). Props to you on your results and clear consistency you've achieved. I would like to say thank you for the posts. They've been really motivating!

@equinelover I’m currently running 3.5 times per week and training with kettlebells 2 or 3 times. As a relative novice in both, would you suggest this is too much? It seems you were quite conscious of being unable to recover when you took on more intense KB plans. I’m still just base building for running but as it is my priority I really don’t want to negatively impact my recovery by training with the bells too much!

@nickodack69 I think you can do both. If running is your priority, just make sure you don't push too hard during your kettlebell days. If your body is telling you to step back and take an extra rest day, do it. One of my favorite mantras that I heard from a running coach is "protect your future training." Not worth getting sidelined because your schedule tells you that you need to log X miles on X day.

@equinelover Thank you! Will take it easy. Think part of the issue is that most of my KB sessions inevitably are leg-focussed. Half the time when I run my legs just feel so flat and lacking in springiness/strength.