About to become vegan... but..

@breko When I started I was unsure as well, and I tracked everything I ate in cronometer.com for a few weeks (they have also apps).

I learned that B12 supplements are essential and that it's really good to eat lots of green vegetables and legumes.

And now, after one and a half year I had a blood test and everything was perfect.

@breko If you get a b12 supplement it'll probably cost you a dime a die, and realistically if you weren't eating fish or taking fish oil everyday the DHA isn't a big deal, imo. However they have vegan DHA in the form of algal oil. I also eat alot of flax which contains a precursor to DHA

@breko What I learned is: Eat a lot of food. A lot. You need to match calorie-dense animal foods with less calorie-dense plant foods. Give yourself some flexibility if you really crave cheese or eggs or meat or milk or something, allow a transition time and be forgiving rather than absolutist. Stay physically active, and reach out to others for support. Take supplements, especially DHA and B.

@breko Hey, H. First off, congratulations on making such a life-changing decision. I have been vegan seven years.

When I first started I used lots of meat alternatives to help with the transition but over time I have completely stopped eating them except for an occasional fake meat product here or there as an indulgence. I follow a whole food diet for the majority of what I eat, but sometimes I indulge in more processed foods (beer, chips, dark chocolate) when I have the urge.

I take a multivitamin every few days and a sublingual vegan B vitamin a few days a week as well. In the winter I add in a high % daily value D vitamin because seasonal affective disorder sucks.

I have had only one issue while being vegan for so long. There was about a month or so where I was extremely tired and my eyelid started twitching very regularly and my hands were shaky. I added in the daily B supplement and the issue went away in a few days.

I have never had an issue with iron even though most omnivores think it is hard to get (eat lots of leafy greens!) I donate blood every eight weeks and the nurses always comment on how above average my hemoglobin levels are.

Besides the one energy issue, all I have experienced since going vegan are its benefits: I have lots of energy, my digestive system is ridiculously regular, and all my blood and hormone levels are healthy.

Eat the rainbow and try to eat from all the vegan food groups and you should be good. Try a calorie/nutrient tracking app like My Fitness Pal to keep track of macros and micros if you want.

A typical day: breakfast: oatmeal, chia seeds, berries, banana, cashew milk
lunch: lentils/beans and tons of veggies, usually a stew or curry of some sort
dinner: MASSIVE vegetable stir fry with seitan/tofu/tempeh
snacks: apples, watermelon, fruit, or sprouted toast with nut butter

@breko Check out www.youtube.com/user/happypeargreystones

They have nutrition information for eating vegetarian (and plant based) including segments on B12.
They are very entertaining and often include experts or will direct you to some info.

Great recipes as well. I had eaten meat all my life and without their recipes would not have made any kind of change!

@breko Don't worry too much, but don't listen to people who are saying you don't need to take vitamin D. While it can take months or years to develop, you can run up a deficiency. The sun isn't really a good source, and neither is your almond milk.

Source: I felt like the guy in The Moon movie for a month before I got my blood tested. Hadn't taken any vitamin D in at least 6 months.

Check out http://nutritionfacts.org for a lot of good, well presented advice, if you haven't already.

@breko Good luck with your journey. When I first became vegan I thought I would lose weight right away, but ended up gaining weight due to added carbs and stuff. I eat a very well balanced diet now with beans, greens and all of the colors in a mostly Whole Foods diet. I had to start taking B12 because after a year I had a blood test and it was in the basement. But all of my other blood work came back stellar!
I recommend watching all of the documentaries (forks over knives, cowspericy etc, they are excellent) and get ready for everyone telling you what a bad decision you are making!
Also, if you work it right with dried beans and lentils and a lot of food prep, it can be way less expensive! There are excellent resources on line for food preparations (some videos are a little annoying with overly positive and nutty vegans! Hahaa!) but give great food advice.
Good luck again! I find the food to be delicious and I haven't looked back once!

@breko Bro, you should watch some of these YouTube channels

Jon Venus
Brian Turner
and Derek Simnett (Simnett Nutrition)

These are all vegan body builders and I've learnt so much from them! Sometimes do Q&As as well so ask away! :D

@breko Eat a varied and colorful diet and you shouldn't have any issues. B12 can be obtained through Nutritional yeast and other fortified foods. Just for an example, I use nutritional yeast in my pasta sauce. Per-serving (1.5 tablespoons) it's like 8 grams of protein, 130% of your B12, and 480% of your B6.

@breko I try to eat a balanced diet, I enjoy almond milk and nutritional yeast with added b12, and I use supplements to round it out. I like the Deva brand; they have multivitamins, and I also use their Omega3s (sourced from algae, just where the fish get theirs! 😊).

Also I echo the advice above: start by making vegan versions of food you like. Use mock meats if it helps! But you'll find that there's a delicious world of vegan recipes out there, just give it a Google and you're all set!

Good luck!

@breko Also dr fuhrmans cookbook has some reallllly helpful info on how your bod works and what to eat for the most optimal health, just so happens to be that most of the recipes are vegan! It's called Eat to Live. He also sells supplements on his website