Advice for making strength training at home not so boring?

schulte

I really need to strength train but I get so bored with it so quickly! E.g. I've tried to start Caroline Girvan's Fuel a few times now but I do 50% and get so incredibly bored that I stop and can't see myself doing it for 6+ weeks.

Any mentality tips/tricks/other channels to try that might make home strength training more "fun" and thereby sustainable?

Anyone know any good follow along channels for women for using barbells/doing compound lifts?

@schulte I have no advice except develop a killer playlist and treat it like it’s part of your job - something you do whether you want to or not! Good luck!!

@schulte Maybe it's the exercises you don't like or maybe you're not lifting heavy enough?

I enjoy lifting because it challenges me. Sometimes while lifting I'm so focused on form and completing my reps cleanly I forget to count. There's no room for being bored.

If you're bored perhaps it's not a challenge?

That being said. I can't stand running because it's fucking boring. So I understand what it's like to not enjoy something. That's why I don't run, I found something else I like.

@schulte Music that gets your adrenaline going is a must. I also had to develop my own exercise plan after looking at full body exercises and areas I need to strengthen for myself.. My method won't work for everyone but I find I focus a lot on how my body moves if I'm doing a renegade row to push up, a squat + shoulder press or iron cross, or a reverse lunge + tricep extention or my personal favorite is a step up + knee drive + bicep curl. It feels more active I guess rather than sitting and standing in one position. Look some up and get them a go and see how it feels?

@schulte Two things that have worked for me before was listening to podcasts or audiobooks and muting the videos or breaking my workout up and doing it 10-15 minutes at a time.

@schulte I watch TV while doing strength training. It's really the only time for TV I have. If I'm following CG, I put one headphone on my phone at low volume and set the phone or iPad under the TV. It also helps distract from the pain lol.

@schulte Strength training used to be so boring for me too, but now I love it. First of all, you must have certain goals and that alone should motivate you. Another thing that's really important to me is that yt trainer is fun and likable. I don't like videos without talking, only music, that's really boring to me. I prefer when trainer talks, when they warn us about form, motivate us, for me it's like they're right there in my room with me. I like Tracy Steen and CDorner fitness channels, they have great strength trainings and likeable personalities, at least for me.

@schulte Try to envision the feel good feeling afterwards. & of course good music and also i like warching music videos from the 2000s or late 90s with britney spears , missy elliot. It makes me want to get up and dance lol

Back