Advice re increasing frequency

lukishaj

I’ve been casually attending CrossFit for about 18 months now. I was only going twice a week at most for the first 16 months, sometimes less than that. Predictably, I didn’t see any increase in skills or really fitness. Around April this year, I started going three times a week.

I had been going. M, W, and F. Two weeks ago I decided to start increasing to four times a week, which means going two days in a row during the week. I guess theoretically I could go on weekends but tu only Saturday time is 8am and simply don’t want to do an 8 am workout on the weekend. However the four times a day week increase has just about killed me. Both weeks after the third day, I was completely zapped. Not during the works out, but the entire rest of the days. It was hard to get out of bed or function, and I needed to nap over lunch to make it to the end of my work day. Also, my knee swelled and hurt after two consecutive days of lunges and box walk-overs.

I’m a 45 year old woman, so no spring chicken but I don’t have mobility issues or any real injuries, other than I guess weak knees. Any advice on how to increase my frequency without completely depleting my energy? Should I get six months of 3 x week under my belt before I try to add in more? I will also ask a coach but wanted to see if anyone else had helpful advice.

@lukishaj 3 x’s a week for a month (80% effort for 2, less on the third workout-don’t go all-out on all 3). Then increase the effort on that 3rd wod (still allowing for 4 days of recovery-but still get out and deliberately move!), then up it to 4 days-and have 3 wods at an increased effort, and 1 day/wod where it’s for quality not sweat.

@lukishaj If you’re sore, muscles hurt but no joint pain, you’ll usually find the programming works with that as they know how you’ll be sore and what you’ll be able to do.

Oftentimes I feel awful but once I’m warmed up the workout feels surprisingly good! If you’re on a subscription, you might as well go and do a little than not go!

@lukishaj I would just listen to your body and go based on feel. Get in the habit of going more throughout the week and know not every workout is going to be 100%. Some days I wake up feeling great and other days I’m sore, but I still go. I of course still have plenty of recovery time but trying to base things off percentages seems unnecessarily hard lol

@lukishaj Im a male so might differ but 50 and go 3x a week. Been on for a few years and didn’t see gains until I fixed my diet. Was noticeable at about 8 weeks as I started to see gains and skill increase. Went 200 grams protein, Creatine and multivitamin daily. For me it was the fuel and not the frequency that did it.

Good luck finding that dialed in balance that is right for your body, it will be a combo of diet, work and sleep.

@lukishaj I go 5 to 6 days a week, being in my 50’s there’s no way I can go all out every day.

Every week I set 1 or 2 days as testing days (when I go hard). The remainder are training days where I don’t go all out. I find that this lets me go more often without taxing my body too much.

Work into it slowly. It took me several years to be able to go 6 days a week and still function without being too sore.

Mostly listen to your body and rest if you feel you need it.

Have fun!

@lukishaj Look into the intensity and volume you’re putting in each session; take it easy on one of those 4 days. Make sure you get enough sleep - vastly overlooked for recovery. You actually might need more than you think you do. And food. You need to fuel properly on training days and the days after you go hard. Your coaches should be able to provide advice on this. I’m a 47 year old woman as well and feel I can’t go hard every day either (I train 5-6x a week, but only hard/heavy 4x).

@lukishaj Im working my way up to 11 times a week, 2x per day m thru f and once on sat. But i heard others work out 16 times a week for one hr sessions each time.

11 times a week is just moderate working out. Im 41 and 260 lbs so take it easy working out ie never go rx

@bakersh3 Thanks! I usually walk 30 minutes a day, so probably less than half as long as you, but I do find even that little bit helps. I think being ok with taking days off from the gym will be helpful.

@lukishaj 100% try to listen to your body. When you’re trying to increase your training volume, you should try to increase how much you’re doing by 10-20% a week. There was a study in runners, and increasing training volume by 30% at once led to almost guaranteed injuries within 30 days.

Back