Advice?

droxy

I’m kind of new to lifting. I have been working out but not following a specific plan, which is why I think I’m not seeing better results.

Here’s a little more info about me:

Height: 5’4
Weight: 114 lbs
Goal: gain weight and build muscle

I have seen good results because I’m skinny and used to weigh 104 lbs. I’ve starting lifting + eating more. However, I need to start following a specific plan and was wondering if this is good:

Monday:
(Quads and Glutes)
  • Back Squat (3 x 10-12 reps)
  • Hip Thrusts (4 x 12 reps)
  • Romanian Deadlift (4 x 8-12 reps)
  • Bulgarian split squats (4 x 8-12 reps)
  • Goblet Squats (4 x 8-12 reps)
  • Leg Extensions (3 x 10-12 reps)
Tuesday:
(Chest, Shoulders, and Triceps)
  • Machine chest press (3 x 10-12 reps)
  • Machine chest press (3 x 12 reps)
  • Lateral raises (3 x 10 reps)
  • Overhead barbell press (4 x 10 reps)
  • Cable tricep extension (3 x 8-10 reps)
  • Overhead extension cable (3 x 8 reps)
Wednesday:
(Glutes)
  • Deadlifts (3 x 5-8 reps)
  • Hip thrusts (4 x 12 reps)
  • Cable Step-ups (4 x 8-12 reps)
  • Bulgarian Split Squats (4 x 8-12 reps)
Thursday:
(Back and Biceps)
  • Lat pulldown (4 x 8-10 reps)
  • Barbell rows (4 x 10-12 reps)
  • Straight arm pull downs (4 x 10 reps)
  • Bicep curls (4 x 10 reps)
  • Single arm cable curls (3 x 8-10 reps)
Friday:
(Quads and Glutes)
  • Back Squat (3 x 10-12 reps)
  • Hip Thrusts (4 x 12 reps)
  • Bulgarian split squats (4 x 8-12 reps)
  • Goblet Squats (4 x 8-12 reps)
  • Leg Extensions (3 x 10-12 reps)
What do you guys think about this workout plan? Is it good/bad? Should I add or remove anything? Should I do these exercises in that order?

Sorry if the formatting is weird. I typed this out on my phone.

@doubleflip7 I am and I increase the weight when it gets easier to lift. The problem is I don’t have a specific workout plan. Was wondering if the workout plan I mentioned above is good.

@droxy The plan you have looks fine to get started and make progress.

I would suggest eventually incorporating more free weights (over machines) and more single sided lifts, both of these force more stability muscles to be recruited. And are more functional movement patterns.

@doubleflip7 I definitely will incorporate more free weights over machines once I get access to the gym. Do you think Monday looks intense? Should I remove anything?

@droxy Personally as a beginner I would just do 3x per week . I am new too but I wouldn't bother the entire weekday... unless it's something you can do.

Even better with a trainer if you can until you get into the groove. Or a nice person at the gym a gym friend

@irishamerican4christ I have been working out for a couple of months and honestly not only did it help physically but also mentally, which is why I want to start working out 5 times a week. Right now I don’t have access to the gym and I can’t get a personal trainer unfortunately. So I’m trying to make a workout plan that works for me and helps me reach my goals.

@droxy I have a different body now, but years ago I was also very thin and turned to weight lifting as a means to gain weight but also to get strong. What I did was increase my calorie intake (ate anywhere from 3-3.5kcals a day), and focused on eating healthy fats and lots of protein. With lifting, more weight and less reps really helped me. My trainer told me he doesn’t want me to be in pain, but the last one of my rep each set I should be shaking. Haha. I didn’t do cardio, but I did walk high incline on a treadmill to warm up.

@hopehouse Yeah I was eating a lot too but I saw a lot of changes when I increased my protein intake. I was eating around 60-80g of protein. Now I try to aim for 120g of protein. What’s your workout routine? What exercises do you do?

Back