Am I doing it right?

anfo1989

Edit: Thank you for answering! Follow up question po. In terms of my walking path, is it better to go through a more challenging one (an area with 20-30 deg incline/decline consistently), a fairly flat area, or a mix of both. May court naman din dito for me to run around. Also, how long should I be doing it?

Hi, Everyone!

I'm 34 years old, 5'5. and I'm at 80kg. During the last annual physical exam, it was determined that I'm overweight, so I decided recently to be more active in my life.

For the past 4 days, I've been walking around our village. I walk around 5000-6000 steps (+-4 km) at 4 km/h. I occasionally stop for about 30-90 seconds while waking to play Monster Hunter Now. It might not look great based on the statistics, but our place has various elevation (I live in Antipolo) so around the 3000 step, My legs would already be shaking. My main objective is to improve my stamina, and probably reduce some of my dad-bod fats.

Here are my questions:
  1. Is it okay to do this daily?
  2. If I plan to include some home workout routines, do I still do my daily walks?
  3. I don't really pay attention to what I eat, since losing body weight a minor goal. Is that okay?
  4. Any other tips?

@anfo1989 The goal of any fat loss regime is dapat maging sustainable. Something na hanggang mamatay magagawa mo. Kaya madalas reccomended lifestyle change.

Reduction of weight through walking is a good start but you need to figure out what is contributing to the weight gain in the 1st place. Anyways the fit lifestyle is very rewarding, good luck on your journey OP.
  1. If you can sustain walking daily, go for it.
  2. Reccomend home workout or better yet hitting the gym. The more muscles you have the more calories being burned ecen if your resting. Walking can be done to increase your stamina/ aerobic fitness.
  3. Biggest mistake not to regulate what you're eating. Need to moderate or reduce food intake, to just what your body needs.
  4. Nasa taas.

@joegw Thank you for responding! I think I can sustain walking everyday naman so I plan on continuing that.

I would really love to go to the gym as well, pero I have challenges finding an open gym during my free time (I work at night). Challenge naman sa home workout is IDK if I'm doing it right.

Although overweight ako, I think what I want to build at the moment is my stamina, so di ako nagmamadali magpapayat. In fact, I have no qualms being a fat, but strong dude iykwim. I have no idea how to even start regulating what I eat (kasi I just eat whatever's being cooked here sa bahay), though once my finances are a little bit better, then I can plan on doing that.

Thank you for your guidance!

@anfo1989 You could read up on calisthenics dito sa reddit, minimal equipment lng needed.

Also sa food, start monitoring your food portions. Any food is okay if taken in moderation. Though sugary foods ang malakas magpataba😂

@anfo1989 Yes it is okay to walk daily. Easy on the joints yan, although bawasan mo onti kung nanginginig na legs mo and slowly build up your distance. Resistance training + walking is fine. No, you can’t outrun a bad diet and no offense but you’re overweight and you need to lose weight. You don’t have to starve yourself, just be mindful of what you put in your mouth. Bawas sugar, cut liquid calories. Eat like an adult, eat fruits and veggies.

@tcboomer I was under the impression na you would actually need to feel pain when you do the activities to know that they're effective. Correct me nalang po if I'm incorrect.

As for the shaking, there's an area sa village namin na meron siguro mga 20-30 deg incline, and when I go through that path a few times, saka ko nararamdaman ung pagod .

Thank you! I do love fruits and veggies.

@anfo1989 Gym goer ako for many years na. Big no no ang pain. Body pain is a sign na there is something wrong with what you are doing or a body part is being overused without the necessary recovery. Body pain is not equal to normal muscle soreness after workout. Body pain is also not the same as exhaustion or pagod.

Just as the other comments, I also strongly suggest losing weight and fats by regulating what you eat. Agree ako sa commenter about dun sa you don’t have to starve yourself. May friend ako na overweight din and late 30’s. Regular walking and jogging din exercise nya kaso dahil sa work stress hindi nya nareregulate food intake nya. Ayun hanggang ngayon nagtetake pa din sya ng maintenance meds for high blood kahit relatively young pa sya. Naospital na din sya dahil sa high blood.

@quirkymango I guess i just don't know how to differentiate body pain and muscle soreness. I feel that I would actually need to have a trainer to personally guide me as well, at least at the beginning.

@anfo1989
  1. Yes definitely. Basta may recovery ka through proper sleep.
  2. Yes. Body weight exercises at home for strength training . But of course do not exhaust yourself too much beyond your current capacity to prevent injury. You may try MWF body weight exercises with warm up through a short walk then TThS longer walks.
  3. Sabi ng doctors being overweight makes us more susceptible to cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, etc
The extra weight in the body can make it harder for your knees and other joints and thus more prone to injuries.
  1. I love walking as well. I use the stairs instead of the elevator. I walk or use my bike instead of riding the jeep or tricycle for short distances. I even use my bike for very small grocery trips. Puntahan ng bikers ang place nyo hehe. Baka maisipan mo din magtry ng bike?

@anfo1989 My man, never mind the looks, do it for your health, best reason there is! You’ve already got the ball rolling exercise wise, now you could also do the same for your nutrition.

It need not be a drastic change, it can be as small as eating more lean protein or a little less rice at first, or reducing your intake of liquid calories/sweets.

Small changes to your diet + progressively more physical activity = sustainable improvement across the board.

Back