Another Kettlebell Only Muscle Gain review

bux72

39 M 6' 1" 207lbs

Background in running and basic lifting for fitness with KB experience being swings only.

In 2020 I ran. A lot. Got down to 181lbs and did a half marathon in December. Spent the holidays eating whatever and messing around with KBs but not doing any structured programming.

Started Joe's KBOMG on February 1st at 198lbs with a goal weight of 206lbs.

I ate as much as possible. Shot for 3600-3800 cals a day depending on cals burned to try and get 500+ a day average. I didn't track macros as well as I could've but tracked overall cals pretty strictly.

I drank one scoop of Legion protein a day, 6 days a week. No other supplements.

I did the program as prescribed every M,T,Th,F. On Wednesdays and Saturdays I rowed 3-6kms on a rowing machine. Took all Sundays off.

Beginning PR metrics.

Press: 2-3 each side with a 24kg

Clean: Double 24kg for a handful

LC: Had never tried it

Snatch: Hadn't done them

TGU: hadn't done them more than once or twice

Ending PR metrics.

Press: 2-3 each side with a 32kg

Clean: Can clean double 32kgs for a couple. Can run sets of clean with double 28kgs comfortably.

LC: Can get a few reps with 32kgs. Can run sets of 6-8 with 28kgs comfortably.

Snatch: Can snatch 28kgs single for awhile and double 24kgs for awhile.

TGU: 24kgs

Bottom line:

I got stronger! By a lot, I think.

I learned a lot of new movements. I stuck to an 8 week plan for the first time in my life.

I moved a lot of weight and burned a shit ton of calories 4 days a week.

The aesthetic gains weren't necessarily what I wanted but 8 weeks isn't a long time and my nutrition could've been better.

Overall I really enjoyed the program and recommend it to anyone and everyone. You cannot go wrong with this unless maybe you’ve never held a KB in your life. I plan to spend the next 4-6 weeks cutting down some of the fat I put on during the program (and holidays). I'm expecting my first kid in a couple weeks so once that happens and sleep schedules get figured out between my wife and I, I will run this again in it's entirety.

My only criticisms are minor. There are some lifts/movements that are not self explanatory (at least weren't to me) and for some of them there is a hyperlink to a video of Joe demo-ing the movement, but not all. I'm sure Joe has a million things going on and he's probably linking videos regularly to fill that in but as it stands now there are some that are not clear. Joe was very responsive on IG to answer any questions, though.

On that note, thanks to /@vanania for posting about and introducing me to KBOMG, my neighbor /@cloudyapples for always answering questions and just generally shooting the shit about KB stuff, /@josh_ats, /@martincy and everyone else posting legit training videos/advice/comments/shirtless pull up videos... And obviously /@rabbie77 for creating the various programs, answering direct questions, making it affordable and pretty damn fun.

Before and after pic

Flex pic when I was feeling pumped after week 7

- I'm aware my chest tattoo is terrible-

@bux72 That’s awesome work and you can certainly see the difference. Such a great program. Joe does such good work and is so down to earth as well. I wish everyone would gives his programs a shot

@bux72 Dude solid strength gains!!! Definitely body composition changes as well!

Congrats on your first born 🙏🙏🙏

Youre making gains every aspect of life 💪

@bux72 You can definitely see a difference!

More importantly, you can see how much more comfortable you are with the bells. I’m excited for you to run it again and see it even more!

We definitely need to plan a Saturday workout before your schedule gets too crazy with the kid, congrats again!

I’m actually considering running through it again myself. The scheduling and having the actual plan just works SO WELL!

@cloudyapples Thanks man. Definitely feel more comfortable these days.

Yeah we should for sure! I’m halfway vaccinated now too! We should meet up at Harry Giffen one weekend and get one in!

Also thanks for the gold dude!

@bux72 Running outer limits today made me want to do the whole program again.

Wife is hitting the paddleboard tomorrow, otherwise I’d say tomorrow! I’ll see about next weekend though for sure.

@rabbie77 Damn! You all just keep getting cooler and cooler.

I have my 2005 TJ, I bought brand new after graduating college. I have 2 car seats in the back seats somehow, it works!

@bux72 Well done! Noticeable difference, especially around your shoulders. I'm actually planning to do this program after simple and sinister. One question, did Joe work with the bells you had, or did you have to buy some for the program?

@jesus_christ_our_lord I’m sure he’ll give you more info but there’s always modification available. He has a single bell only program too. I had pairs from 16-32 but could’ve done the program with less for sure.