Apparently I suck at zone 2

aachen_hexagon

In an effort to trim a few lbs this year (6' 220lbs) and improve my cardio I started running longer distances. In true CrossFit fashion I went from 0k to 5k to 10k distances in a couple weeks. I really focused on picking a pace I could sustain and not allow myself to chase metrics which has worked well surprisingly as I've actually kind of enjoyed running when I'm not pushing myself to beat my last time.

Here's the question. I get back from an hour run, check my stats and I just spent an hour in zone 4 flirting with zone 5. Clearly not the intended goal and perhaps a silly question but am I still getting the same zone 2 type benefits as long as I'm picking a sustained pace over a longer time period?

Edit For the sake of argument let's assume my HR data is correct. I've had 3 different watches over the past 5 years and I always run a high HR. I had a completely different tracker last year and registered an average HR of 170 for Murph . This body "points at self" was not built for bodyweight movements, I even had shirts made specifically for bodyweight movement days. Based on that am I getting the same benefits from an hour of zone 4 vs an hour or zone 2 or part of the magic of zone 2 that I can use it complimentary to all the other stuff I do as opposed to zone 4 which is more of a replacement?

Edit 2 Thanks to everyone for their feedback! It's for sure the most engagement I've had on the sub and much appreciated. What I distill everyone's advice down to is:
  • While Z4 has benefits it's not the same as Z2 and just another high intensity form of training
  • Either slow down the running and focus on HR or find something else to work on Z2 (Like a Bike ERG)

@aachen_hexagon Zone 2 for many people is a brisk walk on flat ground… you are not getting the benefits of zone 2 if you are breathing hard and can’t talk. One of the toughest things for people who train high intensity is to accept the fact that brisk walking without feeling like you are going to die is actually a beneficial workout 😂

@lostsoul2016 Great post, and I agree. It's easy to have the carry over effect of wanting to push yourself, and as OP said, "beat my own times", but that's NOT what Zone 2 (Z2) is about. I would suggest OP slows down to a fast walk, NOT to be confused with a "speed/power walk". At some point, it's calories in/calories out, and going above Z2 does help with calorie consumption, but it's NOT the same as Z2 work.

@lostsoul2016 Yeah it goes against every fibre of my being. For me pacing means just go to 80-90% instead of 100. Not 50%. I think for running zone 2 for me is a truffle shuffle and I don't think my pride will allow it. May have to invest in a bike to use while watching TV or something to get those sweet Z2 gainz.

Thank you!

@aachen_hexagon I have been using the Concept2 BikeErg for zone 2, definitely recommend! It has a stand that accommodates an ipad so usually I put on some mindless netflix show or a youtube documentary.

However, if part of your goal is to become a better runner (vs. a better biker), then sticking with z2 runs is probably the best bet.

@aachen_hexagon I would question the accuracy of the heat rate monitor if you can run an hour in zone 4/5 and it be comfortable and you're holding back! If you're comfortably running along at a pace where you can easily hold a conversation, you're in the right zone - irrespective of what your HRM is telling you!

@jadex Dude, I do a lot of HR training and I went for a run the other day while on a work trip…5+ mile of really humid heat in Dallas and yeah, I could hold a convo running 10-11 minute miles, but I had my HRM and was legit 160+ bpm.

I have a higher than average max for my age and like OP can easily maintain 170+ on a tempo run for 10k.

@aspiringeducator So the 160 is low to mid zone 3, which sounds right when you mention the heat and humidity. I can imagine without the heat and humidity, it would likely have been high zone 2 to low zone 3.
Murph is a whole different beast, my HR is yelling at me to stop!!

@jadex Without heat and humidity at those speeds I’d be pretty solid mid Zone 2. I do a 5 miler a few times a week at about 10 min miles that’s at the higher end of Zone 2. I struggled really hard to get there. Also a bigger guy (215) but a long time runner and lover of running.

When I was lighter it was so much easier. But I can squat so much more now :)

@aspiringeducator Some of my comrades think I’m insane when I tell them I’m sitting at 170+ and can still hold conversations mid run/workout if I wanted to. I don’t really get to where I’m gasping and can’t speak well until 180-190. I think I’m like you with a higher than average max. Got it up to 209 (manually counted) after a 5 mile run followed by hill sprint sessions.

@jadex From experience people saying they can hold a conversation are no way holding a conversation (for beginner). They cut a sentence in 10 because they need to breath.

You never run as slow as you need and you think you are.

@jadex I doubt I could talk in full sentences, I'm assuming I am in fact in zone 4. If you asked my coach what my biggest strength is it would be the fact I can find an uncomfortable pace and make it comfortable.

By holding back I simply mean yes I could go faster but I'd probably blow up and need to slow down or stop entirely. I've been doing Crossfit for a few years now and love long grindy WODS so I kind of know my thresholds.

I updated my question to make it more clear. At the end of the day I guess my question is "I getting the same benefits from an hour of zone 4 vs an hour or zone 2 or part of the magic of zone 2 that I can use it complimentary to all the other stuff I do as opposed to zone 4 which is more of a replacement?"

@aachen_hexagon You're primarily relying on different energy systems and emphasising different muscle fiber types in Zone 2 vs Zone 4/5. Though based on your description of your runs and your breathing sounds like you're in more of the upper Zone 3 territory.

Zone 2 is majority aerobic, relying on slow twitch muscles and you won't accumulate lactate. Low Zone 3 triggers very similar aerobic adaptation to Zone 2 but also includes more fast twitch muscle involvement and anaerobic energy systems. The deeper into zone 3 you go the more you'll be using those fast twitch muscles and actually the less you use the slow twitch muscles until they almost switch off in zones 4 and 5.

In a Crossfit context, the Zone 2 training teaches your body to become much better at clearing the lactate produced while doing the high intensity work. Zone 4/5/strength training increase your explosive capacity to complete the various movements. Doing some Zone 3 helps your body get better at taking the lactate produced and giving it to the slow twitch muscles trained in zone 2 to consume, power endurance essentially.

I personally would try and make the runs a bit slower to stick to zone 2/low zone 3 so you're getting more aerobic stimulus, training the slow twitch muscles and your mitochondria, as we get very little of that from Crossfit.

@jadex It's always been my specialty so to speak. I updated my post above so you may have missed it but 165-170 is something I've been able to maintain for an hour in the past across different fitness trackers so either they are all wrong or it's just me. Maybe next time I should try talking to myself to see how it feels :) . Based on all the feedback my bottom line I think is slow the F down or if my pride won't allow it, invest in a bike to do some low and slow cardio at home.

Thanks for your feedback!

Back