How do I run in zone 2?

@rbrbrb2 How do you feel when you are running? People's heart rate zones can be very different. Do you feel like you're getting more fit over time? Are you able to run faster or for longer without feeling worse?

This is the kind of thing you really have to do by feel. To do that, you will probably have to give up the idea that exercise = running and not walking. Maybe you are not at the point yet where you can run the whole time in your Zone 2. Maybe your whole workout needs to be walking for a while first. Maybe you should walk in a hilly area or with a weighted vest to increase the difficulty because walking on flat ground is too easy for you, but jogging is too hard. Maybe you need to combine running and walking for a while -- just run until it feels a little hard, switch to walking for a bit, then run again. Maybe the sweet spot for you is jogging even more slowly than you walk. This will require some experimenting and listening to your body.

Zone 2 is more about how hard you feel like you're working and less about the specific heart rate. I saw a chart once that specified how long you should be able to maintain your effort in each zone, which was really helpful for me to think about. It was something like this, but I don't remember exactly and I couldn't find a chart:

Zone 1: You feel like you can do it basically all day

Zone 2: You feel like you could maintain for an hour or maybe two

Zone 3: You can maintain it for half an hour to an hour

Zone 4 : You can only maintain it for a few minutes

Zone 5: Should make you feel like death walking -- less than a minute.

Another cue people use is whether they are able to carry on a conversation. You should be able to do that at Zone 2 but not Zone 3.

You got this :) it was really tough for me to figure out where Zone 2 is because it didn't feel like I'm "exercising" -- but once you realize that that's what exercising is supposed to feel like, it makes more sense why people like to do it.

@summer37087 Wow. That turns out even more lenient for me than adjusting from the total heart rate to heart rate reserve method.

I.e. my max HR as far as I can tell is 191, RHR is around 50. Conventional zone 2 using the total heart rate (as Garmin calculates it) would be 120-135, which is a laugh. Zone 2 using the heart rate reserve method bumps up to 135-150, which is what I use more recently and aligns better with "easy feel" and nose breathing. Using "maintain for an hour or two" would let me go up to around 165-170!

@nerissa1969 I think that part isn't spot on. I can maintain my z3 for 2+ hours. And what about tour de France riders? They're in incredible shape, but they're still riding for 5+ hours, and they're definitely not chilling in z1 or even z2 all day.

@nerissa1969 TBH I'm not sure I'm remembering the time ranges correctly -- your comment and the one from OP make me think I am probably underestimating the amount of time you can spend in Zone 2 ...

@summer37087 Thank you, I’ve mentioned in some comments that I can run with 180+ for over an hour, but I certainly couldn’t hold a conversation. I am much much fitter now, I used to run for 2mins at 8kmph and my hr was over 190, even went into 200 a couple of times and I felt awful, like death as you put it.

@eshaun92 I want to run in zone 2 because it is my goal to run a marathon, and I think that 4 hours at 180+bpm probably isn’t a good thing? My longest run was 13.3km and took me 1hr30ish (some warm up and cool down there) and most of that was 180bpm +. I want to improve my fitness so I’m able to run longer. My resting hr is 52 usually.

After each run I am totally zonked, like I give it all, or rather, it takes it all, every time. I want to be able to run without feeling so exhausted afterwards, but it feels like I have to choose between a light walk or high HR, soaking with sweat. These “easy” runs just don’t seem to exist, or rather I can’t figure out how to do them.

@rbrbrb2 Try doing run/walk intervals.

Also, have you considered running outside instead of on a treadmill? You may find it easier to self-regulate your pace that way.

Also, I highly recommend checking out r/XXRunning!

@katie4469 I love running outside but my local park is very hilly so I usually end up just the same. When I’m outside I don’t check my watch ad much though so that’s a bonus I guess. And thanks for the sub recommendation!

@ulkon This is exactly what I do OP! I do steep incline walking for Zone 2 (after a vigorous warm up on a stationary bike to get my heartrate up first), and adjust speed to stay in Zone 2. However, my goal is not to run a marathon but to increase overall cardiovascular health and long-term neurological health.

@rbrbrb2 If you can maintain this for a while, your ejection volume should improve, which will reduce your HR for a given level of exertion, and then you'll be able to slow run in zone 2.

@rbrbrb2 I have the same issue and have run for a few years. I turned out to have a minor heart issue and was put on beta blockers that lowered my heart rate. After that, I could get into zone 2 doing run/walk intervals. Off the beta blockers, I can only get into zone 2 by doing incline walks on the treadmill for about 30 minutes: walking outside in my flat neighborhood is zone 1 no matter how fast I go, running is zone 3+ no matter how slow. So I’d suggest check with your doc first, if you’re fine, do zone 2 training at a run/walk or incline treadmill at a brisk walk.

@rbrbrb2 First, take those "zones" with a grain of salt, especially if you've never reached your max HR in real life.

But to address your question: run as slow as you can, and when you notice that you're going too fast to breathe easily (ie you couldn't speak in full sentences) drop down to a brisk walk. Return to the slow jog as soon as you can after that. Over time, you'll spend more time jogging and less time walking. This is a problem that sorts itself out as long as you commit to staying at a "zone 2" effort level.

I would also recommend doing one short run a week where you just go whatever the hell pace you want. It will still improve your fitness, and you'll find it freeing to not be constantly worried about what zone you're in.

@anon103 The highest my HR went was 202, and I started feeling really unwell (a sprint finish). When I was a bit heavier my runs would frequently take my heart rate into 190+. I’m 32F. I don’t get that sickness feeling when it’s around the 180 but I certainly couldn’t carry a conversation.

Back