What’s a go to longer zone 2 conditioning workout

@mhichborn And it's very easy to adjust just by going up a level. For me adjusting speed on a stair stepper doesn't throw off my gait like dropping a half mile and hour on a treadmill messes with my ability to stay centered on the belt.

@jamesbates As a newish runner it can be challenging to stay in it for me. Because I’m not good at pacing and cadence yet. But right out my door is a 3 mile loop that takes around 40 minutes so I do it most often. Easier to stick to than going to the gym off class time to get on a machine for that long.

@philosophik Nice! I'd wear a HR monitor and alternate between running and walking to keep your heart rate in Zone 2. Soon enough your aerobic fitness will increase and you'll be able to run it in zone 2.

@ytrevino1977 No, with running you tend to be in a higher zone (of a 5 zone system) too quickly because running is zone 2 for an beginner to intermediate runner is just about quicker than walking. And that is an awkward pace because it feels too slow to run and too fast to walk. So you end up running in zone 3 or higher.

Zone 3 is tend to be the grey zone because it’s not white (zone 2) or black (zone 5). So it is not that effective. Good endurance training tends to be polarised (black or white). That means a lot of zone 2 and a little zone 5 training.

So no, it wasn’t a mistake it’s just very hard to maintain a zone 2 pace while running. If you want you can use a chest heart rate monitor to experience it yourself.

Back