Are there any studies on building muscle with low protein diets, RDA or lower (<0.8 g/kg)?

@anne_l Based on what little I know about protein and muscle, I would agree with the mechanistic reasoning, nevertheless, I would like to see outcome data. Do you know of a study?

@nogueira527 I haven't seen any but also don't really expect there to be. Usually research wants to answer some particular question or hypothesis and I doubt there's much interest in identifying minimum protein threshold in a bodybuilding context. Not a huge audience of people who want to get super jacked while eating one egg a day. Even if someone did run a study, I can't imagine much practical value because no one is going to take that number and be like nice now I can plan for minimum protein intake.

You might be able to find a study more around minimum protein and disease/mortality but very different direction than bodybuilding.

This might be where your 0.8g/kg figure came from. But ya this study is dealing with staying alive, not getting jacked.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5872778/

> The current international Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for protein is 0.8 g per kg of body weight (bw), regardless of age [28,29]. In the UK, the Reference Nutrient Intake (RNI) is 0.75 g/kg/bw [30]. These recommendations are derived as a minimum amount to maintain nitrogen balance and are not optimised for physical activity level (PAL).

@junior59
I haven't seen any but also don't really expect there to be. Usually research wants to answer some particular question or hypothesis and I doubt there's much interest in identifying minimum protein threshold in a bodybuilding context.

It might come as the control group in a study testing whether higher protein gives greater returns.

@nogueira527 potentially yeah.

If you're just trying to find the threshold, it's likely lower than 0.8kg but it's important to call out the distinction as what amount of protein is needed to build any muscle (the study you're looking for) vs what amount of protein is needed to maximize protein synthesis (what most studies focus on). The latter has much more practical value for most people on here. My goal (and I imagine 99% of people's goal here) is not to build any muscle.

@nogueira527 The reason why high protein (1.0+gms/lb) diets are recommended for active people are:
  1. Marketing. The high protein "requirement" coincided with protein supplements being marketed by York Barbell (Hoffman), Rheo Blair and the King of Schucksters, Joe Weider in the 1940's and on. Today, the marketing "research" and "experts" pushing this research are bought and paid for by supplement industries and those industries benefiting from higher protein intake (Beef, Poultry, Pork, Dairy, etc.)
    Those studies are worthless.
  2. Follow the "Champions." Weight sports athletes were told by these companies they had to eat a large amount of protein to gain muscle. They were also paid to appear in advertising. "Listen to what Arnold does!"
  3. $$$$. It is hard to sell people on increasing fats, carbs and caloric intake. Protein is the magic word that will get people to buy anything. Look at common foods labeling now. Everything has "extra protein, high protein," etc, on its packaging.