Awkward 6 - 9 rep range

youngman4god

So a lot of programs are created around the basis of 5RM of 10RM but what can you do to get from 6/7 reps to 10? Im at about this for my clean and press with 2x24 but want this to be my 10RM and then to try programs like the giant for example. I have done DFW and giant 3.0 but my 5pm has only increased slightly

@youngman4god Are you having trouble on the clean, or on the press? If it's the press, start with 5 and add one rep periodically until you get up to 10. Focus on the negative - make sure that you're going slow on the way down. For the last workout of the week, cheat - do as many strict presses as you can and then finish with push presses. Most of all, be patient.

@creator Yeah it’s mainly the press but also 10 cleans would be tight too! But not as hard as the press! So if I did 10 sets of 5 and then following week 1 set of 6 and 9 sets of 5? Something like that?

@youngman4god Something like that would work, yup. I'd probably do fewer sets with more reps, if you're trying to work up to 10 reps. 5 sets of 5 the first week, 5 x 6 the next, etc., testing yourself periodically to see what your max is. When you can do a set of 10 with good form, then you can add more sets in if you want.

@youngman4god Another technique i use is working on higher reps with a lower weight. This is anecdotal but i find for me i need to know what doing a certain amount of reps feels like before i can even hope to do it with the desired weight. So if i want to hit 10 reps with my 24kg i will practice doing 10-12 reps with a 20kg regularly so that feels like a rep range that is normal and less daunting

@youngman4god Eat more, work with a heavier weight for a while in lower reps, work with lower wright for higher reps ... Try to build your back with pullups, the plateau will pass

@youngman4god I think another tactic is to just progressively add one more rep to your workout.

The Fighter Pullup Program outlines some of the basic principals, but in short, just add one more rep each workout, and then you'll eventually get there.

I generally add my one rep in the middle where I'm sufficiently warmed up, but not too taxed, and then flare out from there.

For example, if you can do 5 sets of 5 reps, do:

Workout 1: 5, 5, 5, 5, 5

Workout 2: 5, 5, 6, 5, 5

Workout 3: 5, 5, 6, 6, 5

That'll get you to 5 reps of 10 in 26 workouts, which if you're pacing at 3 per week is just a hair over 8 weeks.

Table here shows the progression from 5x5 to 5x10.

@youngman4god IMO if it is your 6-7 RM, it is still well in the 5RM program range. It's not exact science here. Mostly the key is that don't use a weight that you cannot lift for the necessary reps. And understanding effort can help adjust programs. When we get to 10RM range, scaling the reps is much more doable than in the 5RM range.