artiom8010

Hi guys. Wondering if my back routine is enough. I work back/biceps twice a week. Overall my fitness goals are to shed some fat and be healthier. Sure I'd like to look like Henry Rollins (maybe not as big as he was in the 90s) but at 44 I'm not sure that's in the cards. Here's a typical back day. Note, I do not do squats or deadlifts because of an old knee injury.

Lat Pulldowns
Face Pulls once a week, swap with cable rows (single arm)
bent over rows with crazy bar
Bent bench row dumb bell
seated cable rows
every other workout I do T bar rows
finish with weighted back raise

I've never been able to do a pull up. It baffles trainers as I've at one time was pulling my body weight on the lat pull downs.

Biceps:
Hammer Curls
Seated/standing crazy bar curl (every other B&B day)
Concentration curls

Thanks!

@artiom8010 The lat pull down on a cable is guided and requires less muscle engagement compared to a component movement.

If you struggle with pull ups, try just outside shoulder width chip ups. You will get more recruitment with arms.

If back is what you are looking to develop start with compound lifts, pendley rows, rack rows, bent over rows, then move on to machines. You want to probably sit in the middle of the set volume range weekly at a total or 15-18 sets. Facepulls need more volume than once a week they can be trained frequently.

@kamienzen Re: face pulls, how frequently? 3x a week? 4? I go to the gym five days a week. Shoulder/Tri/chest 2 days, Back/biceps 2 days, legs once a week. I'm a chef and I'm on my feet 60-70 hours a week so my legs aren't too big of a worry.

@artiom8010 Entirely depends, muscles like the rear delts, tris and bis can’t be hammered on pretty hard. Recovery for them is rather fast. As long as you’re getting the volume in. T bar rows and high row variants all hit the rear delts.

Do facepulls on your back and bi days and shoulder days that should give you enough volume for them.

Back