Basic GS Training Template

martincy

So, GS is obviously a pretty niche thing, and very little exists online for beginners on how to structure workouts and training cycles.

There are many, many training and periodization philosophies out there, but if you're interested in getting started with kettlebell sport, don't have access to a coach, and have absolutely no idea where to start or how to plan volume, this template might be a good place to get your feet wet.

I am very much a beginner in GS specifically, although I've been using kettlebells as my primary strength training for nearly a decade, and although I prefer to do my own programming, I'm actually using this right now, and it's legit af.

Check it out

I'm really digging the amount of sport content in here lately, and although it's often misunderstood or shrugged off, it seems people are more and more open and interested.

Hope this helps someone!

(It is not my content. All credit to Thierry Sanchez)

@martincy Thierry Sanchez also has a 61 page Kettlebell Sport and Athletic Preparation PDF. I don’t have the link, but it one of the best instructions Iv ever seen for any sport. It’s the definitive GS manual.

@newb787 100% man. I have it as well.

Thierry was putting out some fucking dynamite content a while back.

He has a long cycle specific program as well called Bogatyr Rising that may still be available for purchase online.

@martincy This is dope I've been looking for a GS program to start playing with because I'm finishing up with SS and wanted to take things in a new direction. Thanks for this and keep posting.

@martincy I have a question about GS. Where do snatches come in? I always see long cycle and jerk training. But I haven't seen anything about snatch training to be able to go 10 minutes. I mean how to build up. I can snatch a 44lb bell but after 10 per arm i need put it down. Is it just keep doing it until you can do the 10 minutes straight or is there more to it?

@jeff1989king There's no reason you couldn't take a similar approach to this with snatches if you wanted to.

Grip training will help your longevity for sure. Heavy swings, sets where you add 1-3 swings between each snatch, etc.

Multi hand switch sets to build volume, sky's the limit.

I suck at snatching

@martincy Thanks. I love snatching. I feel like I've accomplished something and had a good session when I do snatches. When I was going to the gym, back in January, I was able to do 100 snatches with a 35lb bell. 50 each hand. I haven't lifted or swung or snatched in a few weeks. Struggling mentally right now and it's all can I can do just going to work and being positive for my sons.

@jeff1989king I hear you dude. It's a fucking insane time to be alive right now, on top of regular struggles. You're functioning and providing for your kids despite your struggles, because you're a good dad. That's what's most important, so you're doing better than you think.

Don't forget about you though. Get up and do it. Just a few mins. You'll feel better, and be better for those that depend on you. I've been there before, and if you don't care for yourself, it compounds.

Go do some snatches for your sons!

@martincy Thanks man. I'm close. Friend just sold me a squat rack, bench, Olympic bar and weights, and dumbbells 10lb-50lb. Plus an exercise machine thingy. all for 200. Getting it set up in the garage. All that and my kettlebells. I can feel the desire to use it all coming back. it's just kind of taking it's time.