Basic Q: Is there an App or Website to build lifting/workout routines based on your equipment?

tiavina

I am obese, but worked my way up to walking 10k steps a day. My HR has been coming down during activity, and I have lost about 8 pounds in the last 8 weeks. I want to start lifting. I have a cable machine, dumbbells, and adjustable weight bench. Is there an app/website that will help me make (and track) a regimen? I don’t care about specific body groups (or how I look to a certain extent), I just want to lose weight but not get demolished in terms of lean mass. My doctor wants to start a GLP1 but I’m trying to avoid.

@tiavina There could be a hundred different apps that let you put together your own routine. If you just search "weight training app" in any app store there are too many to get familiar with them all.

I used WorkIt for the longest time, and played a bit with Perseus and Liftosaur. Hevy, Strong and Boostcamp are popular.

@escuej1 Any I've used let you pick whatever you want or change lifts in an existing template.

Although re-reading, if OP just wants to pick the implements they have and then the app spits out a routine, I don't know any that do that.

@esperanza20 Yea so it was based on equipment as the question. So I just bought some laminated workout posters that list movements by muscle group and a dry erase board. I’ll just circle the movements and record the number of reps/sets/weight on the dry erase board. No website/app. Just going offline lol. Thanks for the responses.

@tiavina Yes please avoid the GLP1 medication! That will demolish your muscle mass and won't accomplish anything that you can't just do on your own! Weight loss is about building healthier eating habits. So just work towards slowly building those in a sustainable fashion. If at any point you aren't losing weight, you're eating too much.

But as for your question I don't know of an app, but depending on the variety of dumbbell weights you have, you could do most exercises with a dumbbell variation. So find a routine and just go through what it says and just find alternatives that fit the equipment you have

@dinafrancis glp-1’s dont seem to cause muscle loss independently. they get the blame when people dont lift weights and eat 800 calories and 10 grams of protein per day because they are using the meds as a crutch to reduce hunger.

id say in theory glp’s are fine PROVIDED you have a system of eating mostly whole foods, getting sufficient protein and lifting weights that you can maintain for life, and just using enough meds to manage hunger when pulling portions back to achieve a reasonable deficit

@mommajulesberry If you are mostly whole foods with plenty of protein, if argue you really wouldn't need the meds anyway. But usually people don't get obese on whole foods, so the hard part is swapping to the whole food diet. The drug limiting your hunger (and from everything I've read about it, it seems to limit your hunger by making you nauseous af most of the time) doesn't provide any reason for people to change their habits to healthier ones. Plus, with the plethora of other side effects, the stuff is better off avoided anyway imo.