Progress Report (08/2018-01/2019): Getting fit for Army Basic Training

@benjamin94 Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with me. I truly appreciate your advice and I will keep it in the back of my mind always. I hope that the option to postpone my commission will be open to me and I will certainly take it if I can.
Is there anything else you wish someone would've told you before you commissioned?

@geobridge Hey, just wanted to throw a warning your way - be careful with those weighted rucks. When you get to basic they will tell you to step it out. They wouldn't let us run and stepping it out when you are short really hurts your hips. When I got to an actual unit I started running my rucks because I figured it would either be my knees that go or my hips. Well, somehow I ended up with a labral tear in my hip. So, just be wary of your body.

It's also great you're weight training. I was very cardio focused when I joined and my push-ups suffered. When I deployed I really got into lifting and went from like 35 push-ups to over 60.

Lol and you'll lose weight from marching everywhere. PB&J will become your bff. Basic training is easy though and not that terrible of a time once you get through red phase, it's the rest of the army that tends to suck.

@eyob47 I second this. My left hip is currently f**ked from trying to do long strides. Then I realized us short people need to take short fast steps; we can't do the same thing as those 6'0 men do.

@eyob47 I also did something to my hip on a ruck, and my IT band was a mess for a long time. Be wary and listen to your body, can’t agree more. Don’t f up your hip because you want to seem invincible on a ruck, OP.

@eyob47 Hey thanks for the heads up. Really appreciate that you'd be looking out for a newbie like me. My degree is in athletic training so hopefully I can do some prep or other strengthening to avoid that now that I'm aware of it. Really appreciate you taking the time to comment.

@geobridge That's great! You'll probably notice a lot of people don't know how to run properly in BCT, so I hope you share your knowledge with those around you. Try to keep the injuries to a bare minimum! There is a joke that the Army is actually an Army of self instead of one because people tend to only look out for themselves, but it works much better when the people on your team are actually on your team.

@geobridge Congratulations and HOOAH! Thank you for volunteering. You are incredibly strong. As a veteran and former officer, I wouldn’t post photos with your face in them. The military is a small world and not everyone is as awesome as you are. You look great, just protect yourself even if it feels silly.

@haycindy I don’t know why your suggestion is getting downvotes. Perhaps if you elaborate a bit people would be more understanding.

But I would encourage OP to check out the Air Force. Having done my time in the Army, the Air Force respects their service members a lot better.

Everyone has their reasons and nothing wrong with that, but I wish I knew what I know now. I would have enlisted into the Air Force.

@geobridge All I have to say is, holy shit, you are such a badass. That picture of you when you were feelin' yourself is seriously inspirational. I have a feeling you're going to do well in basic and keep on kicking ass through on to officer candidacy!

@geobridge You look awesome right now and congratulations on the progress.
You have nothing to worry about !

I am saying this to reduce any kind of anxiety you might have in the future (and not to be saying crap about the military) but seriously a lot of officers are rather tubby and barely pass PT lol you should see how many people are freaking out today for their weigh in

@childojesus Thank you so much!! Sometimes i sit at night and look at my ceiling and wonder wtf I got myself into, but it's started to turn into more excitement than anything else. I'll absolutely strive to be one of those non-tubby officers.

@geobridge
Code:
 This is awesome and your awesome. The only things you need to worry about is your pt test. I've seen people who work out like crazy but can't max out a pt test. Make sure you are adding in specific work outs. Also when you go to basic you will most likely gain weight because you will not be able to work out the way your use to and will have to watch your calorie intake. I was in the Marine Corps and most ladies who were in amazing shape like this complained of gaining weight. 
    Keep the hard work going. Your awesome to be pushing the standards like this and I hope you make all the hateful, sexist guys bite their words. Good luck.

@meslit Thank you so much! I will absolutely try to watch how I'm eating in basic. I've heard that things can be a little difficult for vegetarians though so I'll probably be trading my meat for more vegetables. Hopefully that will help me a little. (;